Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2017, 03:07 PM

983 posts, read 724,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfitg View Post
Who says we need to wait for them to do something about it.

Let's organize!
With 3 people for a first meeting is a good start.
We'll add more people with time.

Are you in?

Please contact Jana at Plane Sense 4 LI. She is looking for volunteers right now actually. They have a facebook group and are the largest activist group in the area.

Also, check out this link to an interesting article

https://theoutline.com/post/834/we-f...ise-complaints[/quote]

Very interesting article. Scary, in the sense that it doesn't matter what you do, changing these things is very hard. Not impossible though.
I'll get in touch with Jana. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2017, 10:15 AM

2 posts, read 2,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
Please contact Jana at Plane Sense 4 LI. She is looking for volunteers right now actually. They have a facebook group and are the largest activist group in the area.

Also, check out this link to an interesting article

https://theoutline.com/post/834/we-f...ise-complaints

Very interesting article. Scary, in the sense that it doesn't matter what you do, changing these things is very hard. Not impossible though.
I'll get in touch with Jana. Thanks.
I admire your resolve there, Pepe. Still think you have a better chance of banging that cat.....

Old 01-08-2017, 12:43 PM

20,043 posts, read 20,844,919 times
Just move. It's the easiest way. Then the new owner can lose their mind over the airplane noise.

Old 01-08-2017, 01:59 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,224,599 times
Guys, this is sort of related, so I hope you can help. I have always hated the smell of garbage. It just churns my stomach! However, I found a really good deal on a home next to the Brookhaven landfill and bought it! I'm so smart! However, the smell is now unbearable and I don't think it's fair that I'm subjected to these attacks. I know the landfill has been there since 1975, but still! Who can I contact regarding this terrible situation?

Old 01-08-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransplantedFloridian View Post
Guys, this is sort of related, so I hope you can help. I have always hated the smell of garbage. It just churns my stomach! However, I found a really good deal on a home next to the Brookhaven landfill and bought it! I'm so smart! However, the smell is now unbearable and I don't think it's fair that I'm subjected to these attacks. I know the landfill has been there since 1975, but still! Who can I contact regarding this terrible situation?
Your analogy is with a house NEXT TO the landfill. We are not next to the airport.

What if you buy a property 10 miles from a landfill.
When you bought it, it didn't even cross your mind the smell a landfill. You see in google maps that it's not even close to a landfill.
But because they needed to decompress the smell in the landfill area, they made a tunnel that passes right below your new house.
Now you get smell when there's too much trash in the landfill. It's not always, so you didn't smell it when you saw the house before buying it.

You got into a mortgage and spent a ton of money in the process.
The next summer the smell started to come out really bad.

Is that fair?

Wouldn't you question the pipe that sends the smell to your house?

What would you think if people tell you: "you live in long island, where there are landfills. What did you expect?".

Old 01-08-2017, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Your analogy is with a house NEXT TO the landfill. We are not next to the airport.

What if you buy a property 10 miles from a landfill.
When you bought it, it didn't even cross your mind the smell a landfill. You see in google maps that it's not even close to a landfill.
But because they needed to decompress the smell in the landfill area, they made a tunnel that passes right below your new house.
Now you get smell when there's too much trash in the landfill. It's not always, so you didn't smell it when you saw the house before buying it.

You got into a mortgage and spent a ton of money in the process.
The next summer the smell started to come out really bad.

Is that fair?

Wouldn't you question the pipe that sends the smell to your house?

What would you think if people tell you: "you live in long island, where there are landfills. What did you expect?".
It's almost like aircraft cover a larger area than a landfill stench. Amazing stuff. Amazing.

Old 01-08-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacking my schlong View Post
everyone knows that an ant can't move a rubber tree plant
Not with that attitude.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:40 PM
s13

797 posts, read 1,280,157 times
Quote:

[whining snipped]

What would you think if someone told you: "10 miles is spitting distance in aircraft terms"?

Old 01-11-2017, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s13 View Post
What would you think if someone told you: "10 miles is spitting distance in aircraft terms"?
It's the same distance to Manhattan from jfk, and yet, you don't have airplanes flying 1800ft above.

Old 01-11-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
It's the same distance to Manhattan from jfk, and yet, you don't have airplanes flying 1800ft above.
It's almost as if Manhattan has tall buildings that they're trying to avoid and that Manhattan is a much more densely populated area that they're trying to avoid in the unfortunate case of of a plane falling out of the sky. Weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island