Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2016, 08:21 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,540,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
Wrong ! --- they are NOT really quiet !!!

Wrong !----they are no where near a whisper silent!!!
Had to laugh when I read this.

The "quiet" argument is a favorite or airport/aviation people.

In a technical sense, they are right. Modern airplanes are quieter than older technology airplanes. Airport management is very quick to point that out to a community.

HOWEVER...

What they fail to explain is that "quieter" does not mean quiet. They are still very loud, especially when flying at lower altitudes.

I also suspect that the "quieter" claim is related to horsepower. My guess is that while the noise per horsepower generated may be much lower than in the past, the newer engines are capable or more overall horsepower... which means that total noise generated is not lower.

From a community standpoint, there is also the fact that air traffic has increased. So even if "noise per plane" is slightly lower, this is greatly outweighed by the dramatic increase in the number of planes.

Any claim of "quieter" from the perspective of a resident under a flight path is simply numbers manipulation to justify a false narrative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 10:12 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe461 View Post
Had to laugh when I read this.

The "quiet" argument is a favorite or airport/aviation people.

In a technical sense, they are right. Modern airplanes are quieter than older technology airplanes. Airport management is very quick to point that out to a community.

HOWEVER...

What they fail to explain is that "quieter" does not mean quiet. They are still very loud, especially when flying at lower altitudes.

I also suspect that the "quieter" claim is related to horsepower. My guess is that while the noise per horsepower generated may be much lower than in the past, the newer engines are capable or more overall horsepower... which means that total noise generated is not lower.

From a community standpoint, there is also the fact that air traffic has increased. So even if "noise per plane" is slightly lower, this is greatly outweighed by the dramatic increase in the number of planes.

Any claim of "quieter" from the perspective of a resident under a flight path is simply numbers manipulation to justify a false narrative.
YES YES YES...............

I watch the flight paths daily, and it amazes me of the loops they do to land, like 15 miles out of the way. It makes no sense.......what is all this fuel they think they are saving?

maybe if they just flew higher it would be so much better, I dont understand why they cant do this.

and now that it is getting nicer out, I feel like the minute I leave the house to go out anywhere, whether I am going to be in my neighborhood or other neighborhoods, or to my office, there is a CONSTANT roar in the sky from aircraft.

There is simply no way of avoiding it, it is everywhere.
The sky is never without the sound of aircraft. From early morning till ate night, constant noise.

Why is this allowed? We had flight paths that were liveable for decades, this nextgen change has ruined all of america, there is no where to go to get away from it.

The flight path to land at LGA from clear across the land is absurd, flying completely over Brooklyn to get to LGA, ruining the quality of lives for hundreds of thousands of residents, to my, is criminal.

what the FAA has done to america is criminal.

Old 03-18-2016, 12:39 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Today's aircraft operations are really quiet. In fact the noise footprint of a modern 787 is 90% less than the aircraft flown in the classic jet era. Who can remember the graceful but extremely loud operation of the Concorde from JFK? This aircraft arrived daily- like clock work from London over my school at 09:15 daily. The sound was perhaps ten times louder than the aircraft operating now.

With such quiet aircraft, the once noisy flight paths (especially arrivals) over populated areas are now nearly whisper silent. With scientific information in-hand the politicians know that flights over Long island are not a problem and only a very special group of folks will complain. The following video will demonstrate just how quiet the modern aircraft operations are;

My dear, are you the FAA plant.

Old 03-18-2016, 01:05 PM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
My dear, are you the FAA plant.

good one !!

funny how there is always one poster on complaints forums that have to be on the "other side", always makes me wonder, because if airplane noise didnt bother, or affect you, you would not be reading about it much less arguing with us posters here that it does bother..

and I see this all the time, this even includes forums for the ban of tourist helicopters that effect all the waterfront parks along the hudson river and govenors island , but thats another topic....

Old 03-18-2016, 01:40 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,584,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
good one !!

funny how there is always one poster on complaints forums that have to be on the "other side", always makes me wonder, because if airplane noise didnt bother, or affect you, you would not be reading about it much less arguing with us posters here that it does bother..

and I see this all the time, this even includes forums for the ban of tourist helicopters that effect all the waterfront parks along the hudson river and govenors island , but thats another topic....
Airplane noise doesn't bother or affect me or anyone I know. Yet I still find that the functional equivalent of a government taking without the Constitutionally mandated compensation (particularly when it is done at the expense of the average citizen for the benefit of a for-profit corporation) and without sufficient study, review, and comment is offensive. Perhaps its because I don't think Americans should surrender their civil liberties because so easily.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:33 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Airplane noise doesn't bother or affect me or anyone I know. Yet I still find that the functional equivalent of a government taking without the Constitutionally mandated compensation (particularly when it is done at the expense of the average citizen for the benefit of a for-profit corporation) and without sufficient study, review, and comment is offensive. Perhaps its because I don't think Americans should surrender their civil liberties because so easily.
Thank you for your continual infusion of honest dialogue to this thread, meaningful content, informative replies, and that goes for others that are interested in effecting change, and pointing out the problems inherent in this program. There is, as someone else mentioned, a rationale why this thread has 50K+ views, why more consistently, and lately, resident reporting involves a greater portion of the region being impacted in unprecedented ways.

The important point about NextGen, as well, is that this is an ongoing roll out. According to my review of a series of articles, legislation, the agenda is for this to continue through 2020. We have not yet reached the point of saturation, and, when profit trumps safety and health, it is unclear if we will ever reach that point.

The data, the maps, the reports, all speak to the impact, and, not just noise, but the level of continuous disruption, including the mental health impacts, sleep disturbances. Further, compounded by the environmental effects not reviewed or studied, especially as these planes continue to fly lower farther out, as part of this program--and, the exposure of a consistent stream of particulates, low dose, chronic exposure, the public health hallmark of cancer risk.

Further, the main flight patterns, particularly as this study unfolds for both LGA and JFK, and especially as changes to legislation are made, (with a very powerful airline industry lobbying their way through Congress), does not guarantee your airspace will remain safe, protected. A change in runway, a change in flight pattern, the development of new main tracks as NextGen continues to roll out, can mean your once quiet neighborhood, will become a noise ghetto, left with little recourse. It's basically Russian Roulette. Which is confirmed all throughout the country in regions that are heavily impacted by the roll out, from San Francisco, to Chicago, to Phoenix, and, of course, to New York.

Lastly, the Airbuses, which are frequently in use, (JetBlue has a large inventory), are often part of the planes that fly in the looped arc paths in our area, which come with a special treat during their descent, the "Airbus Whine." From what I've read, there is a piece of equipment that can address this defect, if you will, it's been purchased and installed in planes outside of the country. Here? No airline is interested, no one has pressured them to address. This noise, is one of the most obnoxious parts of the consecutive flights overhead. It's hard to describe the noise, whine of course a good general term but doesn't do it true justice--the whine reminds me of warplanes, a progressively becoming louder, high pitched squeal quite different than your general Boeing rumble. It is migraine-inducing. Hence, I could care less about what exciting new things have been done to design 'quiet' planes. Nothing about the exposure in this area is quiet--it's disrupting quality of life.

Old 04-01-2016, 08:04 AM

55 posts, read 78,370 times
Is everyone enjoying the 48+ hours of non-stop JFK arrivals, 60-seconds apart, flight operations?

Old 04-01-2016, 11:12 AM

50 posts, read 48,451 times
Default It's been brutal

Those not under a NextGen RNAV flightpath have no idea...
Every 60-90 seconds planes at 1800-2000 feet above your head. the noise and stress from it is pretty unbearable.

It's amazing how this is allowed... that the FAA can without any impunity destroy peoples sanity, property values etc...

Old 04-01-2016, 01:36 PM

55 posts, read 78,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs26bsbs View Post
Those not under a NextGen RNAV flightpath have no idea...
Every 60-90 seconds planes at 1800-2000 feet above your head. the noise and stress from it is pretty unbearable.

It's amazing how this is allowed... that the FAA can without any impunity destroy peoples sanity, property values etc...
Welcome to the club, which part of the Arc of Doom do you live under?

Old 04-01-2016, 06:47 PM

400 posts, read 761,410 times
Yea, what the hell is going on!!!!!! They start at 5am and continue all day continuously.... Friggen insane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island