Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2016, 10:40 AM

519 posts, read 597,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Ha, keep trolling. If the best you can do is point out that I mis-typed "comprehend" on my smartphone and (along with many other posters) was proven right after taking issue with burning a motorist at the stake without looking at the underlying facts surrounding a car accident, then I applaud you for your ineffective arguments.

I'm not the only one who plainly sees your inability to digest nuance and reasoning with respect to the NextGen issue. Repeating "there were always planes that flew over long island" while dragging your knuckles as you walk doesn't make for cogent analysis of the issue at hand.
I guess Ms. Cresci and the nytimes were trolling us back in 2004.

You're the one who brought up syntax, so I brought up "your" grammar. That makes you the troll. You're now resorting to ad hominem attacks because you know history & facts are not aligning with your theory. Nuance and reasoning...what a load of bull. Like I said, you weren't even living in that area 20 years ago so how would you know? The people complaining in this thread simply want to push the planes to other areas. Be honest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummymumma View Post
Good ole Howie..... You silly silly Troll.
A troll with clean, quiet skies! hehehe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 10:42 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,584,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
This discussion has little correlation to reality - this is why the authorities do not take it seriously. Runway 22L was the primary and preferred approach to Idlewild airport way back in 1951. Approaches to 22L are not new. Now that aircraft are much quieter the noise levels have actually deceased. Below are some vintage approach plates showing that nothing here is new or related to next gen. The arrivals to the 22 runways will continue and most people will not notice as the aircraft have never been so quiet.
Aircraft are more quiet, but for the people who own property under the NextGen streamlined landing approach, noise from aircraft is significantly greater than they have experienced in the past. That's the point.

I also would dispute the claim that the "authorities do not take it seriously". To the contrary, a number of local Governmental have taken action on behalf of their constituents. I think you're just referring to the FAA's refusal to address or even acknowledge the issue, which is a different story.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
This discussion has little correlation to reality - this is why the authorities do not take it seriously. Runway 22L was the primary and preferred approach to Idlewild airport way back in 1951. Approaches to 22L are not new. Now that aircraft are much quieter the noise levels have actually deceased. Below are some vintage approach plates showing that nothing here is new or related to next gen. The arrivals to the 22 runways will continue and most people will not notice as the aircraft have never been so quiet.

Waaaahhh! Please stop posting facts and doses of reality, you troll!

/nimby sarc

Old 05-16-2016, 10:54 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,584,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Beale View Post
I guess Ms. Cresci and the nytimes were trolling us back in 2004.

You're the one who brought up syntax, so I brought up "your" grammar. That makes you the troll. You're now resorting to ad hominem attacks because you know history & facts are not aligning with your theory. Nuance and reasoning...what a load of bull. Like I said, you weren't even living in that area 20 years ago so how would you know? The people complaining in this thread simply want to push the planes to other areas. Be honest.
You're relying on an article that discusses a construction project that diverted planes in 2004 as proof of what? That airplanes flew over Long Island before NextGen? So what? No rational person could deny that air traffic existed in 2004 over Long Island.

But again, that assertion is irrelevant because it ignores what NextGen does differently. It consolidates air traffic such that fewer residents under the flight path suffer disproportionate amounts of (in this instance) arrivals instead of spreading the traffic around. The fact that Ms. Cresci and the New York Times saw an airplane in 2004 is meaningless in the context of that discussion.

As discussed earlier on this thread, what the FAA has done is a de facto (if not de jure) taking by an unelected Governmental body without having taken into account the impact on the public (and, arrogantly, without any real public input or comment) and without having provided compensation for those affected. But I don't really expect you to have the faculties to grasp the nuance of this point (particularly since you dismiss the import of nuance in a reasonable discussion as "bull"). And I am not at all affected by NextGen, so I am not looking to "push the planes to other areas".

Also, spelling isn't "grammar".

Old 05-16-2016, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
You're relying on an article that discusses a construction project that diverted planes in 2004 as proof of what? That airplanes flew over Long Island before NextGen? So what? No rational person could deny that air traffic existed in 2004 over Long Island.

But again, that assertion is irrelevant because it ignores what NextGen does differently. It consolidates air traffic such that fewer residents under the flight path suffer disproportionate amounts of (in this instance) arrivals instead of spreading the traffic around. The fact that Ms. Cresci and the New York Times saw an airplane in 2004 is meaningless in the context of that discussion.

As discussed earlier on this thread, what the FAA has done is a de facto (if not de jure) taking by an unelected Governmental body without having taken into account the impact on the public (and, arrogantly, without any real public input or comment) and without having provided compensation for those affected. But I don't really expect you to have the faculties to grasp the nuance of this point (particularly since you dismiss the import of nuance in a reasonable discussion as "bull"). And I am not at all affected by NextGen, so I am not looking to "push the planes to other areas".

Also, spelling isn't "grammar".
It wasn't "your" spelling...eh whatever, go back and check for yourself.

Show us the precise communities these flights got streamlined over. Is it the same exact paths every day? And what is your solution to the issue?

Believe it or not, I am on the side of Nassau communities on this issue. The bull is you and nightcrawler (most nightcrawler) are pushing that this is somehow a brand new issue for communites like Garden City and western Nassau. It's not. The frequency increases of planes looping over Nassau are the only real argument you can make. No one has come up with a solution other than making them fly in a more "equitable" path. i.e., spread the pain around.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:47 PM

50 posts, read 48,453 times
Samyn, you're SO Funny... always talking about how quiet planes are, and how there is no noise and how the flight paths are as they were in the 1950's. So cute....

Exactly where do you live? Is it even on LI? If so, any evening, go to the intersection of Willis Ave and IU Willets Road at around 5 or 6PM. Look up and find the planes (the exact path varies slightly sometimes). Go to a point directly under the path and stand a listen. Then tell me how silent the planes are. Sure in general planes are built to be quieter BUT... and this is a big BUT, they are flying LOWER (by thousands of feet) when further from the airport, and they are flying more concentrated and more frequently.

Also it is complete BS that the paths are the same as they were in the 1950s or 60s or 70s or 80s. posting a diagram that shows that there was a 22L back then is meaningless. IT WAS NEVER USED. It was the runway of last resort, only used in emergency weather/wind conditions I've lived here since 1993 and I know exactly what I hear.

Geez I'm tired of explaining the same **** to you over and over (as are others on the forum). What is YOUR agenda here? What you quote as 'facts' are far from it.

Old 05-16-2016, 12:59 PM

50 posts, read 48,453 times
Howard,

Prior to March 2012, 22L took <10% of arrivals, now it takes >50%
Prior to March 2012, arrivals to 22L were dispersed, spread around more areas, so as to not concentrate over certain areas
Prior to March 2012, altitudes were higher. Sure they flew over Garden City, but not at 1500 feet, and not every 60 seconds.
Prior to March 2012, towns like Roslyn, Roslyn Heights, East Hills etc... got no traffic.The loop over Nassau county, when used was a 'tighter' loop which makes sense. When the FAA got Congress to push through their NextGen with CATEX (look it up), it meant 'all bets were off' and the FAA can do whatever they want. The undid decades or noise - mitigation procedures and implemented the new flightpaths with now warning or environmental studies. This is the problem!!!

Old 05-16-2016, 01:17 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs26bsbs View Post
Samyn, you're SO Funny... always talking about how quiet planes are, and how there is no noise and how the flight paths are as they were in the 1950's. So cute....

Exactly where do you live? Is it even on LI? If so, any evening, go to the intersection of Willis Ave and IU Willets Road at around 5 or 6PM. Look up and find the planes (the exact path varies slightly sometimes). Go to a point directly under the path and stand a listen. Then tell me how silent the planes are. Sure in general planes are built to be quieter BUT... and this is a big BUT, they are flying LOWER (by thousands of feet) when further from the airport, and they are flying more concentrated and more frequently.

Also it is complete BS that the paths are the same as they were in the 1950s or 60s or 70s or 80s. posting a diagram that shows that there was a 22L back then is meaningless. IT WAS NEVER USED. It was the runway of last resort, only used in emergency weather/wind conditions I've lived here since 1993 and I know exactly what I hear.

Geez I'm tired of explaining the same **** to you over and over (as are others on the forum). What is YOUR agenda here? What you quote as 'facts' are far from it.

exactly..

i also want samyn to come to 5th ave and 65th street in sunset park - bay ridge in brooklyn and look up and count to 30, trust me, there will be a plane, then i want him to count to 30 again, and there will be another.....and it goes till about after midnight......

seriously, just how many time do we have to explain this.
he can show me all the graphs he wants, i know everything changed june 2012 here in broolyn....

Old 05-17-2016, 07:23 AM

218 posts, read 268,049 times
Here is more evidence showing that airlines are lining the pockets of Gillibrand and Schumer. Seems airlines don't pay city sales tax on fuel. Last time I check, all of us do.
Airlines using LaGuardia and JFK should pay sales tax on fuel: Stringer • TimesLedger

Also, Eight State Senators from Nassau, Queens, Brooklyn and the Bronx have sent a letter to Senators Schumer & Gillibrand requesting DNL reduction. Representing Nassau County was Senator Kemp Hannon
http://www.nextgennoise.org/images/S...06.2016pdf.pdf

Old 05-17-2016, 03:18 PM

57 posts, read 58,908 times
This sucks. I grew up liking airplanes too! The Arc of Doom is online and kicking major ozone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island