Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 05:36 AM

28 posts, read 111,841 times

Advertisements

I did my own grievance but I live in nassau county so I could easily do it online through the Nassau County AROW (Assessment Review) website. I am not sure about Suffolk. Anyway, the filing period already passed here in Nassau.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 10:07 PM

9,922 posts, read 23,050,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dregg View Post
For those that say they grieved their taxes themselves, what was the procedure you followed?
Care to enlighten the rest of us in how to go about doing so?
If you're in Suffolk County, there is still time

I've done it in the past - you just follow the instructions as provided by your Town (pick up the form at Town Hall). If you have questions, as the assessor on duty. Some are very helpful. The more onerous part is the appeal, if you get denied or if the reduction is less than you feel you're entitled to.

If you decide to do it yourself, good luck!

Old 04-07-2009, 07:44 AM

294 posts, read 608,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleanmaxx Brian View Post
Hi all,
I got the letter (add) in the mail from Property Tax Reduction Consultants (PTRC). Has anyone here used them? Are they legit? (I have read they got into minor trouble years ago from inflating how much they could save and how much they were charging) Looking at the letter, it seems they have changed their ways...who knows?

Many thanks,
Brian
I've used PTRC a couple of times. They are legit (at least in my experience) and they were successful both times knocking about $800-$1,200 off my taxes. As mentioned by others, I only see half of that reduction as the other 50% goes to them.

You should try to file on your own behalf and see where that gets you. If you get little or nothing, you could then try to use PTRC or any of the others mentioned here the next time around.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:03 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,129,708 times
I live in nassau and I guess its too late for me.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
I live in nassau and I guess its too late for me.
Yes, it is
However... if you go on www.mynassauproperty.com, find your address, and look up next year's taxes. Chances are, you will find that your assessment is going down. Nassau County was very pro-active for next year - I guess they figure this will eliminate a lot of grievances...

Old 04-08-2009, 04:57 PM

However, the key is how much your house went down in comparison to other similar houses in your area. My assessment went down for next year but not as much as many of my neighbors which means once again, I will be paying more taxes due to the unfairness of the assessment system in Nassau County. And even though Nassau County lowered everyone's assessment, you can bet the towns and local school districts will jack up the tax rates to make up for that.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cfaz13 View Post
However, the key is how much your house went down in comparison to other similar houses in your area. My assessment went down for next year but not as much as many of my neighbors which means once again, I will be paying more taxes due to the unfairness of the assessment system in Nassau County. And even though Nassau County lowered everyone's assessment, you can bet the towns and local school districts will jack up the tax rates to make up for that.
You're absolutely right.
I don't know what formula they used for the reduction. If it was the same % across the board, that would benefit the "more sought after" areas a lot more, because they usually don't decrease as much in value.
Do you know anyone in the assessors' office you could ask?

Old 04-09-2009, 09:18 AM

I have tried to call the assessment office. It is all automated and it is very hard to get through to an actual person. In Newsday a couple of months ago there was an article that 90 percent of homes in Nassau went down in assessment value about 17 percent for the 2010 tax year. I don't think anyone went up. Even those big MacMansions that were recently built have dropped in value from 800,000 to as low as 600,000 in some cases. In my opinion, some houses have dropped too low. However, mine is still above the average so I appealed my assessment.

Old 04-09-2009, 11:38 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,129,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Yes, it is
However... if you go on www.mynassauproperty.com, find your address, and look up next year's taxes. Chances are, you will find that your assessment is going down. Nassau County was very pro-active for next year - I guess they figure this will eliminate a lot of grievances...

my house depreciated $85,000 according to the site.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
my house depreciated $85,000 according to the site.
Don't know where you are, so I can't comment. Do you feel comfortable with that "assessment"??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island