U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 03:04 PM

1,056 posts, read 593,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Don't know where you are, so I can't comment. Do you feel comfortable with that "assessment"??
Im in Massapequa. yes and no. Im paying a mortgage on a $430,000 home and its only worth $345,000, according to the site. the upside is that my taxes should go down quite a bit next year. I am greiving on the 1st of the year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 11:33 AM

130 posts, read 307,924 times
OK, in Suffolk, Patchogue, to be exact and as I've posted before, we pay just under $15,000 in property taxes. We got something in the mail, don't have it in front of me, but we call every couple of months and they say we are on the docket and are coming up, but it has been two years! Is this normal for grieving one's taxes to take so long? Also, someone else who did it and got a savings in Dix Hills of $1,500 said they just continuously do it, every single year. The place we are grieving them did say that they are backlogged majorly................just wondering if I am being sold a bill of goods.

Old 05-27-2009, 01:33 PM

Just got the name of the company we filed with "Property Assessment Correction Group" out of Pt. Lookout, NY. Anyone used them?

Old 05-27-2009, 01:48 PM

Just called the company and found out I have to pay $30 additional as they turned down our tax grievance and now the company is appealing the verdict. They say they don't appeal cases unless they feel they have a case, but I am feeling less than optimistic.............

Old 05-27-2009, 09:56 PM

7,632 posts, read 10,359,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
J...they turned down our tax grievance and now the company is appealing the verdict. They say they don't appeal cases unless they feel they have a case, but I am feeling less than optimistic.............
I believe this year, a lot more grievances will either be turned down or granted a token reduction than in the past. Reason? Towns in Suffolk are being deluged with applications, so by doing that, some applicants will go away and not appeal--it's the path of least resistance. It's one way for them to reduce the number of applications and maybe keep a little more $$--appealing is time consuming (and the fee is $30!).

That's my theory

P.S. I filed a grievance through a company this year, because I don't want to deal with the (expected) appeal.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:12 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,462,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
Just called the company and found out I have to pay $30 additional as they turned down our tax grievance and now the company is appealing the verdict. They say they don't appeal cases unless they feel they have a case, but I am feeling less than optimistic.............
Yep...the $30 is the fee to basically go to small claims court. We got a 10% reduction from the grievance board, and weren't happy with that. So we filed for the small claims review, paid the $30 bucks. It all worked out in the end and we got the rest of what we were requesting.

Old 05-28-2009, 11:30 AM

Well glad to hear that alexei27, as I said to my husband, upon hearing of the appeal, well guess we aren't getting a reduction if they turned it down first, so we'll see. I'll keep you aprised of the verdict if it EVER comes!

Old 06-17-2009, 01:20 PM

111 posts, read 264,298 times
How do you get comparables? Do you get it from MLSLI? Please explain.

Old 10-15-2009, 03:20 PM

294 posts, read 390,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleanmaxx Brian View Post
Hi all,
I got the letter (add) in the mail from Property Tax Reduction Consultants (PTRC). Has anyone here used them? Are they legit? (I have read they got into minor trouble years ago from inflating how much they could save and how much they were charging) Looking at the letter, it seems they have changed their ways...who knows?

Many thanks,
Brian
Can anyone recommend a good Property Tax Reduction attorney that covers Nassau County? Thanks.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:19 PM

38 posts, read 99,256 times
Default Property Tax Reduction Consultants demanding $$$

I sold my Nassau County home last year and moved to Florida.
I got a bill in the mail from PTRC asking for money saved on my Oct 2011 school tax and Jan 2012 property tax.
I phoned them and told them that I do not live there anymore since prior to the tax savings.
They told me that while the new owner gets the savings benefit from the tax grievance that I am legally responsible to pay.
They told me that I signed a form back in 2009 and I never told them I was moving.
I do not remember what if anything I signed in 2009
Am I now legally responsible for the new owners tax savings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island