Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2008, 05:10 PM

518 posts, read 1,820,682 times

Advertisements

im trying to figure out how to calculate property taxes, and i think im almost there but its not quite adding up i think. so heres what ive got...

property is in bay shore

MLS listed property tax is 5400

property assessed value is 26,300

school tax rate is 157.49 per 1000 of AV, which = 4142
municipal tax rate is 9.40 per 1000 of AV, which = 247
county tax rate is 2.19 per 1000 of AV, which = 58

4142+247+58= 4447

now these rates were for 2006 roll year, so i guess it might have went up a little, but its still $1000 off from what its listed at.. am i missing something here or is the listing wrong?

reason why im wondering how to figure this, is because by the 26,300 assessed value, that means it was assessed on a market value of about 270k, and the house is being sold for 208,500
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 05:33 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,600,634 times
A couple of things come to mind. First is that the taxes shown on the listing may be reflecting the Basic STAR deduction which in the Town of Islip (which Bay Shore is part of) is just about $1000. Listing are SUPPOSED to show the 'true' taxes (no STAR deductions at all) but we've often seen them 'accidentally' shown the other way.

Another possibility is that in your calculations you haven't included the taxes that are imposed by any or all of the following entities: Library District, County Police, Highway, NYS Real Property Tax Law, Fire District, Street Lighting District, Town Water, and Garbage District. If the house is part of the Southwest Sewer District, there is a tax for that too.

A third possibility, if neither of the above apply, is that in the past two years the taxes have increased by $1000, either through renovations to the home or from two years of school tax and other increases (quite possible), or a combination of those two factors. The easiest thing is to just go to the Islip Town Assessor's office and find out the current taxes yourself. Do keep in mind that the new tax bills will be going out any day now, so make sure you ask whether the amount they tell you is for the 2007-2008 tax levy (which is expiring) or for the new 2008-2009 one that takes effect in three weeks.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:04 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Good post, totallyfrazzled.

Old 12-03-2008, 10:56 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamExit View Post
im trying to figure out how to calculate property taxes, and i think im almost there but its not quite adding up i think. so heres what ive got...

MLS listed property tax is 5400

reason why im wondering how to figure this, is because by the 26,300 assessed value, that means it was assessed on a market value of about 270k, and the house is being sold for 208,500
Based on my years of experience as a Realtor, the property tax amount of $5,400 is incorrect. If it were new construction, it would be an estimate and therefore rounded to the nearest, expected hundred. This is obviously not new; without having seen the listing, I'm guessing the RE agent didn't bother to get the exact amount, with or w/o STAR... I suggest you call the town.

With regard to the price, in this environment, with values in many areas drastically declining, it's not uncommon for houses to be substantially over-assessed based on current market values. With a closing document (HUD-1) you'd have a very good case for grieving the taxes.

Old 12-04-2008, 07:51 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
Wow! Team Exit. That is wonderful that you know that much . I would have had no idea that was how to calculate property taxes. I just pay whatever the bill says every December . I should probably look it over more carefully.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 12-04-2008, 07:56 AM

518 posts, read 1,820,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Wow! Team Exit. That is wonderful that you know that much . I would have had no idea that was how to calculate property taxes. I just pay whatever the bill says every December . I should probably look it over more carefully.
haha thanks, its just what i was able to come up with after an hour or so of searching online
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: