Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 11:10 AM

62 posts, read 68,481 times

Advertisements

Fantastic, Walter - even though I realize this thread is a few years old. Was wondering if anyone has any old photos - say from the 50's or 60's - of Bayville.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2011, 11:33 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Ringo View Post
Was wondering if anyone has any old photos - say from the 50's or 60's - of Bayville.
The Bayville Free Library should, I'm guessing.

Bayville Free Library
34 School Street
Bayville, NY 11709

Tel: 516/628-2765
Fax: 516/628-2738

eMail: bfl@nassaulibrary.info

Old 01-16-2012, 08:27 PM

418 posts, read 1,069,637 times
I stumbled upon "longislandindex" independently and then checked if it has been mentioned here and found this thread.

Long Island Index: Long Island Index

Does anyone know anything about the Rauch Foundation (rauchfoundation.org) that is behind "longislandindex"?

I also think that this site/thread should be a sticky due to the absolutely impressive amount of information gathered there and the attempt to update whenever possible: school districts - borders, density, taxes paid per child, how are your taxes calculated, potential for downtown revival, population density, demographics, income, CO2 emissions per capita, house affordability over the years... and much more - most in interactive maps.

Long Island Index: Interactive Map

---
I only spent about 30min browsing - there is too much in there...

But here is a snippet of what caught my eye, and that is indirectly in response to Crooks' thread "Has LI hit the bottom of the housing market".

The site uses "affordability index" = % of houses sold for < 2.5x median income on LI.

Here are the numbers (this affordability index) for immediate areas where I am looking, but one can map the whole island:

affordability in 1997 vs. 2009
(the threshold, i.e. 2.5x median income was $171k in 1997, $254k in 2009):

Stony Brook: 43.1% vs. 3.9% (1997 vs 2009)
Setauket/E. Setauket: 36.3% vs. 3.5% (1997 vs 2009)

Those numbers apply to many other areas on LI. Of course, there are also the eternal exclusive spots (Old Field 0% vs. 0%)...

Since 2009, median income has basically remained unchanged.
I don't see many houses going around for $254k today...

Call me chicken little / little house .. whatever , but one of the following things must happen for the housing market on LI to get more action and for house prices to stabilize and start increasing:

1) salaries must go up, a lot
2) "poor" people (households making < $150k or so) must leave the island and get replaced by an influx of eligible buyers
or...
3) ?

EDIT: Yeah, forgot one more thing - the insane increase in taxes is not even part of the equation here. "Affordability" is very much hurt by that too.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:46 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,141,532 times
I'll play!
Problem, it's doubtful salaries will go up much if at all. Also with a lousy job market off the Island will make it tougher for the "poor" to find work elsewhere. Also what would make eligible buyers pick the Island over less expensive areas? Besides bagels, pizza and beach.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:16 PM

418 posts, read 1,069,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
I'll play!
Problem, it's doubtful salaries will go up much if at all. Also with a lousy job market off the Island will make it tougher for the "poor" to find work elsewhere. Also what would make eligible buyers pick the Island over less expensive areas? Besides bagels, pizza and beach.
Other than the obvious ... let the housing market correct itself, i.e. bring some affordability for the current population on LI by matching house prices to income ... I ponder if some re-shuffling on the island itself will be possible. Something along the lines of Harlem's revival - solid middle class people, priced out of what once have been affordable areas, moving to pockets of affordability and turning them around (think Shirley, Patchogue etc).
It takes pioneering spirit, a vision, bravery and lots of luck to settle in one of those areas but maybe an option (not a popular one).

Lack of economic growth and ultra-high taxes are a big hurdle in turning things around for the housing market on LI.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:33 PM
gag

683 posts, read 1,421,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011littlehouse View Post
I stumbled upon "longislandindex" independently and then checked if it has been mentioned here and found this thread.

Long Island Index: Long Island Index

Call me chicken little / little house .. whatever , but one of the following things must happen for the housing market on LI to get more action and for house prices to stabilize and start increasing:

1) salaries must go up, a lot
2) "poor" people (households making < $150k or so) must leave the island and get replaced by an influx of eligible buyers
or...
3) ?

EDIT: Yeah, forgot one more thing - the insane increase in taxes is not even part of the equation here. "Affordability" is very much hurt by that too.
It's funny, I just posted this index in my last post just now in Crooks thread where he's smokin crack thinking the coast is clear. After I submitted it, your post bumping this thread just popped up.

Old 01-17-2012, 08:28 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Oh dammit, the one time I actually regret putting Walter on ignore lol... i can't access the map!

Old 01-17-2012, 08:48 PM

1,103 posts, read 1,995,528 times
Long island talking about development what a shock their trying to find every inch of land and drop a house on it what a shame.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:24 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
With a show of hands, so to speak, who thinks that this thread should be a "Sticky"?
Yep. make it a sticky.

Great post, Walter -- I loved looking around to see where I grew up.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:24 PM

334 posts, read 1,102,216 times
Definitely a sticky!

Interesting maps--there are houses on our block that I never realized were 2 families, as well as a few where I know 2 families are living that aren't listed as legal 2 family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island