Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 03:09 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,170,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
I'd take a home on 25a through Muttontown, Laurel Hollow, etc. anytime.

Also, I'd take one on 107 through Old Brookville as well.

As for Stewart Ave. or Nassua Blvd, they aren't not that bad. Sure, during rush hour it's pretty packed, but other than that, it isn't so bad. Those homes from Cherry Valley all the way to the Western Section are amazing if you ask me.

Perhaps with an Acre setback.
And a Gate
And a Guard
And a Forcefield.
And a Soundproof Cone

Otherwise no thanks.

crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 12-16-2008 at 03:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 04:24 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,509,676 times
I know those streets in Levittown/Hicksville, I knew three separate people that lived on Blacksmith....so I've been around there quite a bit! You can cut through from Jerusalem to Newbridge on them....but unless you live in the neighborhood or nearby, you're not gonna know those shortcuts so I wouldn't think there's crazy amounts of traffic on them. I definitely don't think that value is impacted on streets like those.

Also, personally I'd have no problem living on a main road. No kids, sleep through anything....if I did have kids or pets I'd never let them out front and I'd have one hell of a tall fence cutting off the backyard.

Old 12-16-2008, 04:47 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,156,915 times
Food for thought.... Go to the house and stand in the back yard and listen to traffic at peak hours. My friend bought a house 2 blocks from Sunrise Hwy. When you sit in his back yard you can hear the sounds from the highway in the evenings. So he's now going to put in a waterfall in to break up the noise.

Old 12-16-2008, 05:46 PM

745 posts, read 1,504,726 times
As a buyer, I wouldn't consider a home on a busy road or cut through street. And if a house was right off of a busy road, it would have to be at least 5-6 houses in.

Old 12-16-2008, 06:36 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,930,768 times
I wouldn't live on a main road as I have a toddler. However, I wouldn't necessarily go by a "double yellow line" rule; I know a few roads that have that and are really not very busy at all.

Cut-throughs are usually not a problem unless it's a very obvious one or the main road is very congested (for example, the streets right by Old Country Rd and 110--would be a nightmare if the town didn't ban through traffic at certain times).

Places like Old Brookville are a totally different beast; you're so far back that you can't hear anything and there's no way kids or pets could wander up.

Old 12-17-2008, 12:31 AM

172 posts, read 718,866 times
would you guys consider Prospect Ave. in East Meadow a main road?

Old 12-17-2008, 08:31 AM

231 posts, read 960,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmv138 View Post
would you guys consider Prospect Ave. in East Meadow a main road?
yes

Old 12-17-2008, 08:44 AM

44 posts, read 109,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I know those streets in Levittown/Hicksville, I knew three separate people that lived on Blacksmith....so I've been around there quite a bit! You can cut through from Jerusalem to Newbridge on them....but unless you live in the neighborhood or nearby, you're not gonna know those shortcuts so I wouldn't think there's crazy amounts of traffic on them. I definitely don't think that value is impacted on streets like those.

Also, personally I'd have no problem living on a main road. No kids, sleep through anything....if I did have kids or pets I'd never let them out front and I'd have one hell of a tall fence cutting off the backyard.
Well it certainly seems like its affecting it now, many homes for sale on streets like what i'm describing seem like they're going for less and with all the inventory on the market, people generally have no reason to move to a street like that when theres 10 or 20 other levitt ranches or capes on a much quieter street. I've only been studying the market recently so I'm wondering in 10-15 years will it still be considered a flaw, when there isn't a for sale sign or two on every block.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:01 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,515,132 times
Now...we did commit the ultimate sin and bought a house on a busy road (okay it's Lower Rocky Point Rd in Sound Beach. It's not 25A by any stretch, but that and Echo Ave are the two busiest.

The problem we ran into was...the quality of the home we bought was so far superior to the other homes we looked at in the same price range. It needed no work and was priced 25-30K less than houses thatwere more run down or needed a new roof (this was a year ago before pricing became a little more realistic).

It was a tough call...but this house had every thing we needed for the right price.

Old 12-17-2008, 09:57 AM

65 posts, read 462,150 times
What about houses that BACK busier roads? Do you think that's as bad as houses that FACE busy streets?

We're potential buyers and recently saw a house that backs the Northern State Pkwy, but there are tons of trees in between as buffer (probably 150 feet or so, I'm not sure exactly). From the windows, you can see the cars through the bare trees of the winter, but you can't really hear it from indoors. Standing in the backyard, you can hear the traffic but it is not loud. I'm sure it will be even less noticeable when the leaves grow back in the spring. Like alexei27, we feel that this house is superior to other homes in the same price range, except that its location does back the NSP, which can never be changed. What do you think? Will this affect the resale value? Should we pass or take a chance?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island