Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 06:10 AM

7,929 posts, read 9,152,376 times

Advertisements

From what I've read, it STILL didn't actually decrease overall spending by the state, so I fear the deficit will just continue to spiral. The guaranteed state employee pensions will be the death of us yet. We will have to pay for the 50% stock market loss for their pension funds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2008, 06:24 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
It is absurd for him to be raising welfare benefits while instituting all of these taxes..even if it's a small $ amount, symbolically, it's an indictment.

I don't know where the NYS pension plans are at...hopefully they were not in hedge funds or mortgage backed securities.

If people haven't thought about leaving NY yet, this will definitely make them think about it now.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:04 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,802,909 times
I am so furious. While us middle class have to bear the brunt of supporting the lower class and the upper class, now the welfare class get a 10 % increase.

Now our taxes are going up because Star will be taken away, we will have to pay more for everything.

Meanwhile the poor will get more, will get less of a boost to go out and find work. I am not talking about the disabled or those who just physically cannot work. I am talking about the lazy, deadbeats who do not want to work.
Us hard working, law abiding middle class have absolutely no say in the matter of where our tax paying money is going ; but we are going to get less of it!!!

d

Old 12-18-2008, 09:16 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,510,359 times
I think these taxes are ridiculous, as well as increasing welfare spending....but why do people on welfare always have to be "lazy deadbeats" or whatever other negative stereotype you want to attribute to them? I hope none of you run into some serious misfortune one day and need public assistance.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:39 AM

25 posts, read 121,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
I think these taxes are ridiculous, as well as increasing welfare spending....but why do people on welfare always have to be "lazy deadbeats" or whatever other negative stereotype you want to attribute to them? I hope none of you run into some serious misfortune one day and need public assistance.
Seems I am not the only one around here that sees that there are legitimate people on "welfare". I work in the health care industry and see people every day that need these services. They do not drive luxury SUVs or dress in designer clothes. These are honest people who have become disabled for one reason or another (accident, age, disease, genetic conditions) and can not afford the astronomical health care costs. Medicaid (welfare) is there only choice. The problem is if you need long term care and end up in a financial situation that gives you no choice but to apply for Medicaid, understand this the state takes EVERYTHING to help recoup some of the money paid out for medical care. All the pension/social security/disability payments someone may be living off of. So other than "welfare" how are these people to survive? While I do see a need to reform the system, most people DO NOT take advantage of the existing one. It disgusts me that we as a society do not feel any obligation to care for our sick and elderly, then complain (while driving our luxury SUVs and wearing our designer clothing) when our tax money is used to help people in need. As for all the "illegals" on welfare, show me one, as you NEED to be here LEGALLY to qualify for these programs.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:39 AM

22,187 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
You bring up a good point, I think one of the reasons the welfare rolls have a proposed increase is due to the fact the economy is in such bad shape, and so many people are losing jobs that more people will need assistance.

The budget proposal stinks, and its going to hurt, but I think we need to wait until everything gets laid out. Remember this is only a proposal in its very early stages. We also need to realize we need to do something to fix the current budget situation and we need to be prepared to help those who are now/ and will be in really tough financial times as a result of the current economic mess.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:03 AM

231 posts, read 960,654 times
It will be interesting to see what affect the STAR rebate credit that is proposed to be cut will have on house prices. It is one of the first things a realator mentions when they show a house - taxes are xxxxx with star. It's usually only around 1000 bucks off (at least in the price range and locations we are looking at), but every little bit helps. A few houses that we have liked were a little more than we wanted to spend, but the taxes with the star rebate made them more attractive to us. I guess not any longer...

Old 12-18-2008, 10:24 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmax View Post
It will be interesting to see what affect the STAR rebate credit that is proposed to be cut will have on house prices. It is one of the first things a realator mentions when they show a house - taxes are xxxxx with star. It's usually only around 1000 bucks off (at least in the price range and locations we are looking at), but every little bit helps. A few houses that we have liked were a little more than we wanted to spend, but the taxes with the star rebate made them more attractive to us. I guess not any longer...
Each 1,000 increase in taxes translates into approximately $10,500 less in purchasing power with mortgage rates at 5%.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:35 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
It's going to get really ugly on Long Island.

School aid: cut, property taxes will go up
Star, cut, most peoples property taxes will go up
Higher taxes on everything else: everything goes up!

They should sell Madoff's townhouse to help fund the budget gap.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:59 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,601,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Now our taxes are going up because Star will be taken away
You are confusing the STAR reduction with the STAR rebate checks.

The STAR reductions off your tax bill (Basic STAR, Enhanced STAR, Aged/Senior STAR) are not being touched.

What the new budget proposal is talking about are the STAR rebate checks that have gone out this year and last year. That is a new program that was added just recently. It is based partly on your income as well as your property tax bill.

How much of a STAR reduction you get off your tax bill depends on what township you live in. For instance, Smithtown gives a smaller reduction than Islip. The Basic STAR reduction in Islip is $900something; Smithtown is closer to $600. Everyone who gets a STAR reduction will still get that under the new budget.

As far as the rebate checks go, I know several people who live in Islip Town and get almost $1000 in Basic STAR (the reduction that is taken right off the tax bill). That reduction is NOT going away under the new budget! They also got the maximum STAR rebate check which was about $600 and was sent out during the summer. The rebate check program is what may disappear.

IMO you can't say that the discontinuance of the STAR rebate check is "raising your taxes" technically. People could do whatever they wanted with that STAR rebate check. If they were smart, they put it away in savings to put toward their next tax bill or mortgage payment; in reality, what most people did was to spend it on something else. The STAR rebate was more like the Federal stimulus package checks that we all got.

The STAR reduction is taken off your tax bill before the bottom line is calculated. Now if THAT were discontinued, then yes, your taxes would actually go up as a result. But the rebate checks were just a goodie that we got for a couple of years. There was never any promise from NYS that the rebate check program would continue indefinitely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island