Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 06:56 AM

149 posts, read 525,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmv138 View Post
^^^ is this a good thing or bad thing? once again im new to all this. thanks again guys and gals!
Well, like I mentioned before, the house is in the Sherwood Gardens subdivision and the homes there are quite nice. Imo, if you love the house then I would consider private or parochial schools when you have your children. I hate to dump on Westbury's SD but it's not one I'd recommend.

Westbury Friends School off Jericho Turnpike near Post Road (sort of hidden) is highly regarded private school nearby, but if price is a factor there are other alternative such as cheaper schools or as JohnInWestbury mentioned, finding a home west of Ellison Ave. and have your future children attend Carle Place Schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 07:06 AM

1,147 posts, read 1,898,428 times
The schools in Westbury are not the best on Long Island, but are not the worst either. The distinct is very middle of the road if you go by the numbers. Infact if you compare them nationally they are on the better side. It is only on Long Island with many of the top school in the country would the distinct (going by test scores) be looked down on.

Old 12-31-2008, 03:38 AM

222 posts, read 892,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmv138 View Post
the house i saw is near pepperidg rd.
OK....I live in Birchwood Knolls which is adjacent (just west) of Sherwood Gardens. I've been here for 3 years+ now. One thing you have to understand about "Westbury" is that the name loosely encompasses a very large area. Pepperidge is right around the corner from me...these areas you describe...North of the Parkway are 1950s developments (Birchwood Knolls/The Hedges etc) and are very safe and very middle to upper-middle class. You can PM me if you want more specific info. As others have posted, the only "down-side" is that because these areas are zoned in the westbury s.d. (which is predominantly made-up of economically-challenged A.A. and Hispanic children) from New Cassel, people look-down on the district. In reality, as another poster indicated, the district is not in the toilet and has been improving in recent years. Over time perception rules and many folks who love the area, and can afford to, send their kids to private schools.

I have a next door neighbor who is a physician who sent his daughter to private school. I have another neighbor who sent his daughter through the entire westbury school system and she now attends Harvard.

PM me if you have more questions.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:08 AM

24 posts, read 181,083 times
There is also a small section of Westbury (postal code) which is zoned for Jericho Schools. This is the eastern most part of westbury sandwiched between Brushhollow road and Jericho Tkpe, and east of Aintree Road.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:34 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageOfWestbury View Post
One thing you have to understand about "Westbury" is that the name loosely encompasses a very large area.

The "Westbury, NY 11590" ZIP Code postal zone (4,302 acres) is much larger than the Village of Westbury (1,511 acres) and about 2 out of every 3 places with a "Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address are NOT in the Village of Westbury and 3 out of every 8 places with a "Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address are NOT even in the Town of North Hempstead.

Places that have a "Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address that are NOT in the Village of Westbury are in the Hamlet of Jericho, Town of Oyster Bay; the Hamlet of Hicksville, Town of Oyster Bay; the Hamlet of Carle Place, Town of North Hempstead; the Hamlet of New Cassel, Town of North Hempstead; the Hamlet of Salisbury, Town of Hempstead; the Hamlet of East Garden City, Town of Hempstead; and, the Hamlet of East Meadow, Town of Hempstead.

Old 12-31-2008, 11:49 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Jericho

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkk12 View Post
There is also a small section of Westbury (postal code) which is zoned for Jericho Schools.
This area, known by the residents living there as "West Jericho", is in Jericho ("Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address) and is not part of the Village of Westbury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkk12 View Post
This is the eastern most part of westbury sandwiched between Brushhollow road and Jericho Tkpe, and east of Aintree Road.
This is in the southwestern most part of Jericho.

For those who may not be familiar with Jericho:

Jericho is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the center-west part of the Town of Oyster Bay in the central part of Nassau County, along the Oyster Bay/North Hempstead town line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Jericho in the Town of Oyster Bay is bordered on the north by the Village of Old Westbury, the Village of Brookville, the Village of Muttontown and the Hamlet of Syosset; on the east by the Hamlet of Syosset and the Hamlet of Hicksville; on the south by the Hamlet of Hicksville and the Hamlet of New Cassel in the Town of North Hempstead (the Oyster Bay/North Hempstead town line); and, on the west by the Village of Westbury in the Town of North Hempstead (the Oyster Bay/North Hempstead town line) and the Village of Old Westbury.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/e9/Jericho-ny-map.gif (broken link)

The Hamlet of Jericho has a different border than does the "Jericho, NY 11753" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Jericho, NY 11753" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Jericho and a place can be in the Hamlet of Jericho and have other than a "Jericho, NY 11753" mailing address): places that have a "Jericho, NY 11753" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Jericho are in the Village of Brookville, the Village of Muttontown, the Village of Old Westbury, the Hamlet of Syosset and the Hamlet of Hicksville; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Jericho that have a "Westbury, NY 11590" and "Hicksville, NY 11801" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 12-31-2008, 05:07 PM

149 posts, read 525,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIOC View Post
The schools in Westbury are not the best on Long Island, but are not the worst either. The distinct is very middle of the road if you go by the numbers. Infact if you compare them nationally they are on the better side. It is only on Long Island with many of the top school in the country would the distinct (going by test scores) be looked down on.
My whole thing is the Westbury SD has gone down-yea, I know many things change in 20+ years. I remember when I was going to school, the in thing was for parents who lived in other villages to sneak and enroll their kids at our schools. While I made a comment about how the JHS was, I do remember having a good experience going to WB High (guidance counselor was an idiot though! ).

It's just amazing for the district to have suffered some while others in nearby areas are better. I wouldn't say that Westbury schools are the worst on LI by a long shot, but the quality has suffered.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:59 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
The test scores for Westbury HS are within the 10 worst on LI. There are many, many positives about this area and I've defended it many times on these forums, but the schools are a huge negative. Maybe the teachers are excellent, and I've never heard that the atmosphere in Westbury HS is dangerously crazy like some other low scoring places get (ie: kids getting stabbed at Hempstead, brawls in Freeport), but as far as things we can actually quantify - the school stinks.

Weird thing about WHS is that it looks like it'd be one of LI's best. Nice looking building sitting up on Jericho Turnpike, it's got footbridges over the road and is surrounded by million dollar homes. Obviously somebody threw a lot of money at it at one point!

Old 12-31-2008, 10:34 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,642 times
The solution for Westbury schools is what I've said in the past and it's very controvertial. Cut New Cassel loose and have it form its own district where they can deal with their problems without ruining Westbury home values.
Westbury would then merge with Carle Place. The only problem is there are only 2 school buildings, both elementary, in New Cassel. The Park ave school property is fairly large, and it could be turned into a JHS and HS. It would require the construction of a new school building, which is sorely needed anyway. New Cassel would get a brand new school building and the HS and JHS students would have a shorter trip to school.
As far as libraries go it would remain NC, Westbury, and Carle Place share a library (I believe Carle Place uses Westbury now). The problem is Westbury S.D is large, too large, and the trip for students in New Cassel to what is actually considered Old Westbury is a long one. I imagine most of them have be bussed in, which costs extra $$.
The new school bldg could be built off Arbor Ln as well, seems to be a large vacant piece of property there bordering the pkwy.
I know politics wont allow this to happen, but the seperation of New cassel from Westbury would definately help Westbury. Better schools = better property values = better town.
And it would be better for New Cassel too, they'll have a nice new school for the JHS and HS and it will be closer, which would raise their values as well. It certainly won't happen overnight, but it is an idea that should not be dismissed so easily.

Old 12-31-2008, 10:37 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,642 times
I also think the zip codes should be split with N.C. having its own zip. The Westbury Post Office is always so crowded because the zip is so large. 11590 covers Salisbury, Westbury, and New Cassel. That's a huge postal district. One of the largest I've seen on LI. Salisbury should be in East Meadow postal district.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island