Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 03:43 AM

2 posts, read 4,355 times

Advertisements

i have an acceptance from both, University of tampa and long island university cw post for their mba programs this fall 2009.
i am confused as to where to go? which university is better which place is better florida or new york...
please advice!
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 07:42 AM

240 posts, read 237,125 times
Both MBA's are a waste of money. Study harder for the GMAT and choose a better school.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:43 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,747 times
I have been to both for various business and education reasons. University of Tampa does not have the "campus" feel of CW Post but then again, it might be a nice addition to your educational experience to get out of the region and make new connections. If the goal of your MBA is to get you a leg up on your long-term business career keep in mind that your network will play a big role in that, so maybe staying in the New York region would be better from a networking standpoint than going to the Tampa region. If your goal is to possibly relocate to Florida long-term than that would be a moot point.

The Florida business marketplace is very thin, and very much so in Tampa at the moment. You would have better intern and fulltime opportunity if you were looking in southern florida. Good luck in your decision-making.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:49 AM

270 posts, read 969,769 times
Congrats!

Looking only at the MBA programs themselves, you can't go wrong with either program, Both are listed in the Princeton Review's Best Business Schools (Long Island for the past 3 years, in fact).

I would instead consider the atmosphere/feel of each, and their respective ties to prospective employers.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpg71 View Post
Congrats!

Looking only at the MBA programs themselves, you can't go wrong with either program, Both are listed in the Princeton Review's Best Business Schools (Long Island for the past 3 years, in fact).

I would instead consider the atmosphere/feel of each, and their respective ties to prospective employers.
Yes you can... the ROI for both MBA's is negative. An MBA from these schools opens very little, if any, doors in one's career. The OP needs to decide what he/she wants to do after the MBA and how the MBA will get him/her there, if at all. To get an MBA for the sake of getting a masters degree is a waste of time and money (unless the OP is going for free).

Old 07-08-2009, 09:09 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56 Fighter View Post
Both MBA's are a waste of money. Study harder for the GMAT and choose a better school.
I would argue that a well-networked MBA from Post would not necessarily be a complete waste of money. Tampa, maybe not so much. And I completed my grad work at NYU...so I can pontificate on the merits of sometimes paying a premium for a "brand name" when the actual product often leaves a lot to be desired. I basically paid for the the New York business network.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
I would argue that a well-networked MBA from Post would not necessarily be a complete waste of money. Tampa, maybe not so much. And I completed my grad work at NYU...so I can pontificate on the merits of sometimes paying a premium for a "brand name" when the actual product often leaves a lot to be desired. I basically paid for the the New York business network.
I totally agree with your post with the caveat that even a well-networked MBA from Post may be a complete waste of money depending on what the OP wants to get into.

Paying extra for a brand name does pay off so long as it's a top tier school such as NYU.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Yes you can... the ROI for both MBA's is negative. An MBA from these schools opens very little, if any, doors in one's career. The OP needs to decide what he/she wants to do after the MBA and how the MBA will get him/her there, if at all. To get an MBA for the sake of getting a masters degree is a waste of time and money (unless the OP is going for free).
One could argue that an MBA from any school opens very little doors in one's career. Unless the prospective student already has a well thought out plan for what this MBA is going to do for them, there's little no no value of getting an MBA from anywhere. In fact, it may actually hurt your prospects if you're still out in the open as far as having a plan for the future.

This isn't the 80s or the 90s where a solid undergrad (usually technical) and an MBA combination guaranteed a list of prospective employeers and careers to choose from. That all said, I still think any grad program's true value is in its ties to prospective employers. That's what the OP should look into.

As for NYU - it's a good university, to be sure. Is it worth the money? That's open for debate. It's a very expensive school with a relatively small endowment fund. You may actually pay less for some higher caliber institutions.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpg71 View Post
As for NYU - it's a good university, to be sure. Is it worth the money? That's open for debate. It's a very expensive school with a relatively small endowment fund. You may actually pay less for some higher caliber institutions.
NYU is quite expensive, for sure... but I'd hire an NYU grad over just about any other school around here any day of the week.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
NYU is quite expensive, for sure... but I'd hire an NYU grad over just about any other school around here any day of the week.
Full Disclosure: I work in the NYU administration - our students certainly appreciate that sentiment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island