U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 11:12 PM

172 posts, read 626,697 times

Advertisements

i saw a house in Westbury last week that seemed really nice but when i searched the forums there are so many negative comments on Westbury. One thing that cough my eyes is that people are saying that the properties north of the park way is better than the ones south of the park way.( please comment on this) well the property i saw is east of Post Ave and north of northern state parkway.( sandwhiched in between Jericho and NS parkway.
also wanted to know about the school district. thanks for all the inputs and feed back in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2008, 12:33 AM

149 posts, read 453,982 times
Wink School District

Well, I've lived in Westbury/New Castle most of my life but I am sad to say that the SD isn't the greatest. I currently struggle to send my daughter to Catholic School but I'm (hopefully) moving to Mineola where the SD is much better. I remember going to Drexel Ave School (elementary) in the 80's (dating myself ) and liked it but middle school was horrid. I can imagine how it is now.

As for the house, it sounds like it's in the Westbury Hills section/Sherwood Gardens area i think. That area has nice homes if that's where it is (it's late and I should be sleep! lol). Anyway, it seems like the SD is very important so I'd either find another village within price range or if you like the home then think about private or parochial type school IMO.

As far as all the negative things said about Westbury, I've made mention before in other threads about how Westbury isn't the nightmare-ish place. That said, as certain streets are being cleaned up there are areas that are still not great.

Old 12-29-2008, 08:26 AM

9,341 posts, read 24,685,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilemoll View Post
As for the house, it sounds like it's in the Westbury Hills section/Sherwood Gardens area i think.

Mobilemoll, aren't Westbury Hills and Sherwood Gardens south of Northern State Parkway, and, if so, wouldn't this place them in the Hamlet of New Cassel ("Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address)?

Old 12-29-2008, 09:37 AM

149 posts, read 453,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Mobilemoll, aren't Westbury Hills and Sherwood Gardens south of Northern State Parkway, and, if so, wouldn't this place them in the Hamlet of New Cassel ("Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address)?
I believe Sherwood Gardens is both east of Post Avenue and slightly north of the Northern State. In that section (and Westbury Hills) the Village of Westbury sign proceeds both sections. It's weird...even on Old Country Road heading west past Wantagh Parkway, it's considered New Castle on one side and Westbury or Salisbury on the other.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:14 AM

well SD is important but i dont have kids yet. i figure that in 2-3 years then another 4 years before they start school. im looking at a 6 year time line before he/she starts school.
safety is also a concern. like i said there were a couple of thread to stay away from the houses south of the parkway.

Old 12-29-2008, 12:56 PM

9,341 posts, read 24,685,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilemoll View Post
I believe Sherwood Gardens is both east of Post Avenue and slightly north of the Northern State. In that section (and Westbury Hills) the Village of Westbury sign proceeds both sections. It's weird...even on Old Country Road heading west past Wantagh Parkway, it's considered New Castle on one side and Westbury or Salisbury on the other.

The following 3 maps showing the borders of the Village of Westbury, the Hamlet of New Cassel and the Hamlet of Salisbury, respectively, may be of some help in this discussion:

But, first, above all, it's important to understand that Westbury is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where most of the places that have the community name as part of their mailing address are NOT in the village: places that have a "Westbury, NY 11590" mailing address that are NOT in the Village of Westbury are in the Hamlet of Jericho, Town of Oyster Bay; the Hamlet of Hicksville, Town of Oyster Bay; the Hamlet of Carle Place, Town of North Hempstead; the Hamlet of New Cassel, Town of North Hempstead; the Hamlet of Salisbury, Town of Hempstead; the Hamlet of East Garden City, Town of Hempstead; and, the Hamlet of East Meadow, Town of Hempstead.

Map of the Village of Westbury:

Map of the Hamlet of New Cassel:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b2/New-cassel-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Map of the Hamlet of Salisbury:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b2/Salisbury-nassau-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Old 12-29-2008, 09:59 PM

2,940 posts, read 6,976,862 times
Ok that NE section of town is pretty nice. The main areas of Westbury I dont like (regulars know where they are) is east of Post ave south of the pkwy (bordering NC) and by the LIRR station.
The main problem is the schools. Being linked with NC makes it worse.
If you want good schools and village of Westbury the section west of Ellison but in the Village is very nice. West of Ellison goes to Carle Place schools. That section by Papa Razzi is beautiful.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:09 AM

the house i saw is near pepperidg rd.

Old 12-30-2008, 01:17 AM

48 posts, read 120,994 times
Pepperidge rd. is part of Sherwood Gardens and is part of the Westbury School district. It is not part of New Cassel and Westbury Hills is, although the rest of New Cassel looks like a completely different than Westbury Hills.

Old 12-30-2008, 02:02 AM

^^^ is this a good thing or bad thing? once again im new to all this. thanks again guys and gals!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island