Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 08:49 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,601,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Of all the large chains I find Stop and Shop to be the worst chain when it comes to fresh food. And their bakery stinks, one of the worst of all the chains.
I agree with you when it comes to the Stop & Shop brand of baked goods. And if you read their ingredient and nutrition label it's loaded with stuff most health-conscious people would probably avoid (including fats and sodium).

However, there are a couple of good things in their "Nature's Promise" line of breads. The 'Seven Grain Batard' loaf is very good. High in fiber, no preservatives, relatively low in salt. Of course the Nature's Promise breads are almost twice the price of the regular Stop & Shop baked brand (I think the 7-grain is $3.29 or $3.49 each... they haven't had it over the holiday season but are supposedly going to start carrying it again in a week or two) but they are far better IMO. Worth the price. Just as good, IMHO, as the breads at Whole Foods' bakery, if not better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 08:52 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,009 times
Default Wal-Mart ruined America

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
If you live in Islip, probably your closest one is Islandia (which is really Central Islip). I have to admit that I do shop at the Commack store. Their cat food prices are about 30% lower than the supermarkets ; it's in a shopping center with Costco , Home Place and Target so I like going there so I can go to all of those stores at once .
Wal-Mart is much more expensive than Pathmark or ShopRite, Wal-Mart can never match the loss leader discounts of the local stores. At Pathmark or Shoprite one brand of each tyoe of item will be on sale every single week and that sale price trounces Wal-Mart prices. We are lucky in this area of the country to have great supermarket chains like Pathmark and Shoprite. In palookaville towns across America Wal-Mart can get away with its lack of good sales as they have eliminated the competition. Plus stores like Pathmark or Shoprite pay living wages, not the the poverty employer Wal-Mart that makes borderline welfare recipients out of everyone who works there.

On top of the more expensive prices Wal-Mart is the one of the chief reasons for the economic troubles of today. By forcing company after company to move production to Chinese slave labor we now owe the Chinese trillions of dollars. One day the Chinese and their Wal-Mart factories are going to want to be re-paid in something other than worthless paper equities. Wal-Mart will be the cause of WWIII.

Last edited by samyn on the green; 01-02-2009 at 09:00 PM..

Old 01-03-2009, 07:16 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,140,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Wal-Mart is much more expensive than Pathmark or ShopRite, Wal-Mart can never match the loss leader discounts of the local stores. At Pathmark or Shoprite one brand of each tyoe of item will be on sale every single week and that sale price trounces Wal-Mart prices. We are lucky in this area of the country to have great supermarket chains like Pathmark and Shoprite. In palookaville towns across America Wal-Mart can get away with its lack of good sales as they have eliminated the competition. Plus stores like Pathmark or Shoprite pay living wages, not the the poverty employer Wal-Mart that makes borderline welfare recipients out of everyone who works there.

On top of the more expensive prices Wal-Mart is the one of the chief reasons for the economic troubles of today. By forcing company after company to move production to Chinese slave labor we now owe the Chinese trillions of dollars. One day the Chinese and their Wal-Mart factories are going to want to be re-paid in something other than worthless paper equities. Wal-Mart will be the cause of WWIII.
are you kidding me????? walmart is so much cheaper than pathmark and all the rest of the supermarkers.

walmart's everyday price for a 4 pack of 9 lives cat food: $1.19
shaftmarks: $1.69
walmart-1 gallon milk-$3
shaftmark: $3.59
walmart-wonder bread $1.50
shaftmark-$2.59

pathmark only comes close to wally when theyre stuff goes on sale. you dont have to wait for a sale at walmart.

as for Chinese slave labor.....please. us americans are so spoiled and full of **** because we expect to be paid for everything we do, including breathe, with time and half. we want $40 an hour for everything we do. thats why these companies outsource everything to other countries and our country is BANKRUPT and in a DEPRESSION.

Old 01-03-2009, 08:18 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
are you kidding me????? walmart is so much cheaper than pathmark and all the rest of the supermarkers.

walmart-1 gallon milk-$3
shaftmark-$2.59

pathmark only comes close to wally when theyre stuff goes on sale. you dont have to wait for a sale at walmart.

as for Chinese slave labor.....please. us americans are so spoiled and full of **** because we expect to be paid for everything we do, including breathe, with time and half. we want $40 an hour for everything we do. thats why these companies outsource everything to other countries and our country is BANKRUPT and in a DEPRESSION.

Just remember the next time you open that can of 9 Lives for your cat that it may be dinner for one of their Senior employees.

Its sad the way they treat their people, and guess who picks up the tab for their medical when they show up in an ER with no benefits...we do.

I'll splurge the 1.69 at Pathmarks thanks.

You need to see this movie kennyguido.
http://www.walmartmovie.com/

Youll see why were in a depression.

crooks

Old 01-03-2009, 09:11 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,140,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Just remember the next time you open that can of 9 Lives for your cat that it may be dinner for one of their Senior employees.

Its sad the way they treat their people, and guess who picks up the tab for their medical when they show up in an ER with no benefits...we do.

I'll splurge the 1.69 at Pathmarks thanks.

You need to see this movie kennyguido.
WAL-MART: The High Cost of Low Price

Youll see why were in a depression.

crooks
ive seen the movie. can we hate walmart for striking deals with companies? I dont think so. They have a right to do it. every business that can in America will do it. like I said, every american thinks they are worth thier weight in gold. thats why were in the position were in, THE BOTTOM.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:28 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,930,989 times
I don't see a Super Wal-Mart or SuperTarget coming to LI. This was a VERY tough market for them to crack at all (remember how LI was practically the last heavily populated area to get WM?). Real estate prices are high and development opportunities hard to find. They also face a very mature supermarket sector. Super Wal-Mart loves areas where there's not a lot of competition.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:33 AM

44 posts, read 252,632 times
Wal-Mart is not nice anywhere. If one comes to my neighborhood, I'll vehemently oppose it. I have relatives who worked at Wal-Mart. They were always lured with the promise of FT hours and benefits, but never received it. No one in their store ever did. They will hire more employees and split the shifts so no one will qualify for benefits. Why pay them benefits when they can get them through the government? It's a vicious business practice Wal-Mart is running and it is costing you more in the big picture.

I'd rather pay the difference (which is mere pennies anyway) so that the employees get paid a living wage and are able to receive benefits.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:20 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,009 times
Default you wasting your money at Wal-Mart

When stuff goes on sale at Pathmark Wal-Mart gets played like the big lumbering behemoth that it is. . Sometimes you can get the cat food three for a dollar and Pathmark doubles coupons. Just last week I copped some rice crispies cereal 1/2 half sale for $1.69 and I had a $.75 cent which was doubled so I copped the snap cracle and pop for $.19, let us see the Chinese enslaver match that. Or how about milk gallons for $3, the slave shop could not match that or hundreds of other deep discounts every week. Wal-Mart is for the slow dummies too slow to take advantage of sales and too vapid to see the big picture.

These are just two examples there are hundreds if not thousands of items at Pathmark and shop-rite cheap that are cheaper than at Wal-Mart. If you are really game ot save the locals double coupons which the enslaver does not.
Quote:

walmart-1 gallon milk-$3
shaftmark-$2.59

Old 01-03-2009, 03:46 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
I will never shop at Walmart - the store that is wiping out everything else one by one. The latest victims are Circuit City and a weak Best Buy. Past victims included Caldors, supermarkets down south and countless downtowns.

Apparenty some yokels in this country need to buy all their food, banking, drugs, clothes, cds, electronics and now appliances all in one store. Thats fine until we are down to two stores left - Walmart and Home Depot. Then we shall see what happens to their low prices.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:55 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
ive seen the movie. can we hate walmart for striking deals with companies? I dont think so. They have a right to do it. every business that can in America will do it. like I said, every american thinks they are worth thier weight in gold. thats why were in the position were in, THE BOTTOM.

Perhaps you should see it agian.

Stop watching FOX news.

Yes...we can.
; )

crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island