U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-06-2009, 07:17 AM

7,262 posts, read 7,551,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyc4582 View Post
I agree with everything you said. Another area I think we need to hit is the pensions if we are to keep top pay the same. Otherwise, if they get to keep their pensions the top pay figure should decrease. Pensions and healthcare are killing the county. However, Levy is making a push at healthcare (so I hear) by increasing the co-pays the cops must pay. This decreases the cost of the premium and puts a higher burden on the police.

Good for Steve Levy and good for us residents. Keep up the great work Mr. Levy!!
Levy's doing the right thing.

My wife's employee contribution for healthcare goes up next year again..the second year in a row, in addition to co-pays going up. Teachers ARE making concessions with every contract negotiation, despite already getting paid way less than cops.

My employer raised our premiums and our co-pays went up.

The PBA doesn't want to concede a dime.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:29 AM

143 posts, read 188,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post

My wife's employee contribution for healthcare goes up next year again..the second year in a row, in addition to co-pays going up. Teachers ARE making concessions with every contract negotiation, despite already getting paid way less than cops.

The SCPD PBA didn't concede this... Levy worked around them... he still pays their premiums, but the trick is to purchase plans that have high co-pays. Hopefully Levy can get these guys to start paying for some of their healthcare like the rest of us here in the US. No one gets a free lunch anymore except if you are a suffolk or nassau county cop.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post

Does your wife pay any premiums for healthcare, or just co-pays?

Old 01-08-2009, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyc4582 View Post
Does your wife pay any premiums for healthcare, or just co-pays?

She pays premiums, actually slightly more than I would pay with my current employer, but the coverage isn't as good at my work and her job is more stable..and this economy..cobra? We'll pay $20 more per check, thanks.

It's gone up 10% in the last 5 years or so. Co-pays have gone up also. Plus there is no vision care in their plan.

The compensation package for teachers is good, but it's nothing compared to cops. Retire after 30 years or at 65.....20 years for cops. The sick day payout is basically nothing in many districts. I think it might be 60 or 65 per day, which is less than subs make.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:11 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,872,710 times
"IF" they have, and they make you feel better, do you tell them "Off" for having it so "good" ?

Maybe you all who have a grievance about their benefits, would like a
"pay as you go" Police Protection Plan from them...Wal Mart style !

I have NEVER read such an inane, selfish, whiny bunch here, about how good police benefits are.

I feel you all, should be on a "list", to be LAST, to be served !

Old 01-08-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike View Post
"IF" they have, and they make you feel better, do you tell them "Off" for having it so "good" ?

I have NEVER read such an inane, selfish, whiny bunch here, about how good police benefits are.

Here we go again with the arbitrary service fallacy.

The taxpayers of Suffolk County have a legitimate grip with SCPD compensation. Deal with it, Officer/family member of officer/etc

Old 01-08-2009, 02:18 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,872,710 times
Everything that goes around, comes around...but I hope you don't need a Police Officer in a hurry, and you discover it was your ingratitude that kept them from responding "faster".

Instant Karma's goin' to get you !

Old 01-08-2009, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Everything that goes around, comes around...but I hope you don't need a Police Officer in a hurry, and you discover it was your ingratitude that kept them from responding "faster".

Right, because I don't think a cop should be making twice the median income for the area they serve, I deserve something bad to happen to me or my family.

Another shining example of humility. Low life.

Sure you aren't a cop.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:

The police officers have a job to do. They don't decide who they will help and who they won't. If I have a call they will get to my call in the same speed as they do every other call.

Their compensation is a legitimate issue. This has nothing to do with karma or hating the police. You need to separate the 2 issues.

Do you get upset at the idea of welfare? Does the idea of giving your hard earned tax dollars to people who aren't working upset you? If you get upset, that doesn't mean you hate welfare recipients, it means you hate the program. You think it's a faulty program that needs to be fixed. The same scenario applies here... I think the police compensation is out of whack. I do not hate the police and I appreciate what they do for me. I just think they could do it for significantly less money.

Just a disclaimer: My use of the welfare analogy does not mean I think the cops are a welfare program. The cops obviously work hard and do a great job. I just think we are overpaying for the service that is provided.

Old 01-08-2009, 03:32 PM

Quote:

I'm sorry guy, but it's impossible to follow what you type. Stop quoting everything and using commas every 5 words. Ease off on the CAPS.

No one wants a pay as you go program for the police. We want the police to earn a fair wage. Their salaries and compensation package combine to make a very unfair wage that the tax payers must fund.

FYI - I do not tell any police officer off for having it so good. I treat them with the respect and dignity any responsible, working person deserves. I do write to my local representatives and to the newspapers about their excessive compensation however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island