U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-09-2009, 02:26 PM

3,954 posts, read 3,975,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyc4582 View Post
I have relatives working for the nassau county court system, and they don't get free medical benefits. They also don't get 6 weeks vacation, nor do they get even close to the salary the NCPD gets. There's so much false info floating around about police compensation making it seem not as bad as it really is.
County court employees are really state employees as all courts in NYS are now run by the New York State Office of Court Administration except for town and village courts.

The reason for the false info is because they don't want to lose the gravy train. Let's compare to the benefits and salary of a Nassau or Suffolk County Police officer to other county level law enforcement agencies in high cost of living counties such as the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department and the Orange County Sheriff's Department in California or the Miami-Dade County Police Department in Florida or some of the county sheriff's departments in New Jersey.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:47 PM

7,342 posts, read 7,878,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
County court employees are really state employees as all courts in NYS are now run by the New York State Office of Court Administration except for town and village courts.

The reason for the false info is because they don't want to lose the gravy train. Let's compare to the benefits and salary of a Nassau or Suffolk County Police officer to other county level law enforcement agencies in high cost of living counties such as the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department and the Orange County Sheriff's Department in California or the Miami-Dade County Police Department in Florida or some of the county sheriff's departments in New Jersey.

Orange County Sheriff's Department / Deputy Sheriff/ Lateral (http://www.ocsd.org/join_ocsd/careers_salaries/deputy_sheriff_lateral/ - broken link)

A decent compensation package for sure, but still far below SCPD.

Old 01-09-2009, 02:58 PM

7,862 posts, read 12,672,826 times
Full retirement is after 30 years or age 62

That was before :

55/25 legislation passes in Senate
Feb 13, 2008 5:36 PM

The 55/25 retirement option long sought by the state UFT cleared another important hurdle on Feb. 13 when the State Senate passed the legislation needed for it to take effect.

Spitzer signed it ONE day before all that stuff came out about him . Guess he was so distracted that he didn't realize what he was doing. We were really lucky that it wasn't only a few months later as it never would have happened.

Be kinder than necessary for everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:41 AM

143 posts, read 193,791 times
How is the pension benefit calculated for the teachers? Is it the same as the cops? 50% of the avg of the last 3 years of pay if you retire at the earlier possible time?

Old 01-12-2009, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyc4582 View Post
How is the pension benefit calculated for the teachers? Is it the same as the cops? 50% of the avg of the last 3 years of pay if you retire at the earlier possible time?
I checked my wife's statement from the state, and she cannot receive full retirement until she's logged 30 years. The bill that affected Nancy I believe was a one time thing and possibly only for NYC teachers.

I believe it's actually 60% of salary for the last 3 years. If you retire in 29 years, it's something like 40%. No incentive to retire early, that's for sure.

In terms of what is going on with the private sector, this is really out of whack also....not as out of whack as SCPD retiring after 20 years, free medical, etc, but we know that already. What can I say?

I see both sides. All of my retirement is 401K based. Anything I contribute is right out of what I earn....a pension is worth 15-20K a year in salary. No one gets pensions anymore unless they work for a municipality. I would have been better off working for the LIRR than going to college for 4 years....I would be a conductor or an engineer making over 100K after 10 years with a bit of overtime. Boring work, but business can be boring too!! Then, retire with a pension, claim disability (95% are on it) and live like a king.

That's the thing with the police, MTA, etc...yes they give working class people good salaries...but it's all coming out of the average person in the private sector whose salaries and benefits are plummeting while their taxes keep going up. And how are these pension funds going to stay funded with the economy moving the way it is?

My advice to my kid would be this: sign up for every civil service test you can take. If you are sure that you want to go to school to get a masters in a field that will have you making 100K in 5 years, then go to school. Otherwise, I'm not sure it's worth the cost.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:00 PM

1,303 posts, read 2,148,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
My advice to my kid would be this: sign up for every civil service test you can take. If you are sure that you want to go to school to get a masters in a field that will have you making 100K in 5 years, then go to school. Otherwise, I'm not sure it's worth the cost.
I would qualify that with a "If you plan on staying New York"...

Old 01-12-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Good point.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
I'd even take it a step further... "if you plan on staying on Long Island"

Old 01-12-2009, 02:34 PM

7,862 posts, read 12,672,826 times

It's 60 % give or take.

Be kinder than necessary for everyone is fighting some kind of battle.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post

It's 60 % give or take.
Is the 60% calculated off of overtime hours as well?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island