Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 01:59 PM

13,507 posts, read 16,970,060 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyc4582 View Post
Is the 60% calculated off of overtime hours as well?

I believe it is. Of course, the overtime available is limited to home teachings, summer school, sports, and clubs. It's not like you can work on Christmas day if you want to. And also, it isn't really "overtime"...it's not time and half.

But either way, it's probably a push that any pension should be calculated against overtime.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:42 AM

143 posts, read 298,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I believe it is. Of course, the overtime available is limited to home teachings, summer school, sports, and clubs. It's not like you can work on Christmas day if you want to. And also, it isn't really "overtime"...it's not time and half.

But either way, it's probably a push that any pension should be calculated against overtime.
It's funny... most people say teachers only work 9 months out of the year, but they don't realize that with the amount of time they have off, many cops only work that much time as well (or maybe slightly more). However, if a cop does work all the time and saves his days, he gets a really big check upon retirement. To me it's crystal clear who the offenders are with the ridiculous benefits package and pay... and it's not the teachers!

Old 01-13-2009, 07:59 AM

Quote:
It's funny... most people say teachers only work 9 months out of the year, but they don't realize that with the amount of time they have off, many cops only work that much time as well (or maybe slightly more). However, if a cop does work all the time and saves his days, he gets a really big check upon retirement. To me it's crystal clear who the offenders are with the ridiculous benefits package and pay... and it's not the teachers!

Take into consideration that there are 10 times as many teachers in Nassau and Suffolk County as there are cops, yet the relative property tax bill is not 10 times as great. Of course the teachers are easier targets..there are more of them and they are a bigger part of the tax bill.

But if you look at what is really going on with compensation, there is no question who is really fleecing the taxpayer.

Old 01-15-2009, 06:48 AM

By the way, just so we don't let this thread die:

I Got Mines' - Where's Yours? - Long Island Nassau Suffolk County New York Political Forum

This is the thread on LI politics that turned me against LI cops.

You should save it and e-mail to all of your friends.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
By the way, just so we don't let this thread die:

I Got Mines' - Where's Yours? - Long Island Nassau Suffolk County New York Political Forum

This is the thread on LI politics that turned me against LI cops.

You should save it and e-mail to all of your friends.
In most industries it takes at least 10 years of work experience to top 100k (after a bachelors and probably a masters degree)... and keep in mind in most industries you don't have the job security that the cops have.

The real issue is they are getting 1950's benefits with 2009 pay.

Old 01-15-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
In most industries it takes at least 10 years of work experience to top 100k (after a bachelors and probably a masters degree)... and keep in mind in most industries you don't have the job security that the cops have.

The real issue is they are getting 1950's benefits with 2009 pay.
Most people simply don't know about that part, or the salaries. I've had discussions with at least 4 friends in the last week when talking about the economy and taxes..they all seem to know about teachers (and usually have at least a few bits of false info in their heads), but none fully knew what the benefits of being an SCPD cop were. When I told one friend who is an IT professional that cop is making 98K base after 5 years and is scheduled to work 182 days per year, retire in 20, and pays nothing into medical and pension, his jaw nearly dropped.

...and some of the cops think we are suckers. We are.

Old 01-15-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:

Old 01-17-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Most people simply don't know about that part, or the salaries. I've had discussions with at least 4 friends in the last week when talking about the economy and taxes..they all seem to know about teachers (and usually have at least a few bits of false info in their heads), but none fully knew what the benefits of being an SCPD cop were. When I told one friend who is an IT professional that cop is making 98K base after 5 years and is scheduled to work 182 days per year, retire in 20, and pays nothing into medical and pension, his jaw nearly dropped.

they work as much as teachers yey make a lot more than the teachers... why do they always deflect questions on their compensation to teachers' comp?

Old 01-17-2009, 05:36 PM

939 posts, read 1,839,523 times
Mikey and Dman have been carrying on this two person gripe session for about three weeks now (and it's quite comical at times). Tell me, guys, how much closer are you to changing the situation? Or does it just make you feel good to bi*ch about it?

Old 01-18-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Mikey and Dman have been carrying on this two person gripe session for about three weeks now (and it's quite comical at times). Tell me, guys, how much closer are you to changing the situation? Or does it just make you feel good to bi*ch about it?

Thanks for bumping the thread Mr. "there's nothing you can do about it"

Hopefully every arrogant volley you hurl will get another non-cop angry and contacting their representatives about what is going on. Two years ago, before I went to LI politics, I had no interest or concern about police salaries on LI. Thanks to the arrogance of people like you, not only have I been motivated, but I let everyone I know how they are getting hose whenever we talk about taxes and the economy. Nice job.

The current situation is only good for the 4500 cops in NCPD and SCPD and their families. Everyone else on the island is getting hosed.

Can you bump the thread again next week so I don't have to, Mr. tough guy?

Keep telling people they are powerless to affect the current situation. Great tactic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island