Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 06:42 PM

143 posts, read 298,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dregg View Post
Ok, i posted before those 2 replies came down the pike. To Mr. "5 days a week", ever go to work on the weekend or holiday while the rest of your family is gathered around the dinner table or at a BBQ? Yeah, probably not. Those rotating 5-2, 5-3 schedule will do that to your family. That 1 extra day in a 2 week span is reasonable.
Yes I have. We have our busy periods during budgeting season or when government submissions are due. I've missed many of family bbq's, including memorial day weekend the last 3 years. And when I work 10 days in a 2 week period, I only get the weekend days off, not an extra day for the hell of it.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
You people must be on drugs to believe the bull being thrown around on the radio and papers from the Levy camp.It's all a political smoke screen.

Anyway, some things brought up in this thread.
Cops working holidays get paid time and a half? Nope, not true. They get paid straight time whether they work the holiday or not. They get paid separately for 13 "negotiated" holidays.
- You applaud Levy for going after the unions? Did you take a very close look at your tax bill lately? What part of that bill brings attention? The police?...at $894 a year, it may be a bit high but I can live with it. I never had a problem with them assisting me when I called upon them.
The "County General fund" at a whopping $89 a year supports the Suffolk County Correction officers salary. And, as I may guess no one here realizes, those officers have been working on 2003 wages thanks to Mr. Levy. Yup, no contract or raise for 6 years....not even that happens in the private sector.
My fire district gets $536 a year. Considering that only covers my town (as opposed to the tax for the cops that covers most of Suffolk County), I consider that too high.

...but, the one tax that no one here seems to have a problem with but makes up OVER 50% of my tax bill is the damn schools!!! Why aren't the folks in Suffolk County up in arms about this? Are you stuck feeding on the bottle of "It's for the Children"? Well, let me let you in on a little secret.....it's NOT for the kids, it's for school "administrators". You know, the assistant to the assistant to the assistant....
This has gotten WAY out of hand and these school taxes should be CUT IN HALF for starters. The school districts should be combined (we have WAY too many districts) and the administrative staff should be greatly reduced. Last I checked, there's 25-27 kids per class. For the children?...my ass !

Want to talk about the cops and their days off? Did you ever consider the days off a teacher gets? Last I know, they get off EVERY HOLIDAY and EVERY SUMMER. Not too shabby if you ask me. So, before you **** and moan about some days a cop gets, take your head out of the sand and look around.

Did any of you people read the article snoozday did on our schools vs schools in Fairfax Va ? Before you defend the school taxes here, please read that article.
This thread is about the police, not the teachers. But if you want to compare... I think with the whole 5 days on 3 days off gig going on... and your 6 weeks vacation.... and your 13 paid holidays... and your sick time the cops work slightly more than the teachers do... except the extra days the cops work they get paid more!! Incredible!! It's like the 2008 version of welfare.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:47 PM

Quote:
You people must be on drugs to believe the bull being thrown around on the radio and papers from the Levy camp.It's all a political smoke screen.

Anyway, some things brought up in this thread.
Cops working holidays get paid time and a half? Nope, not true. They get paid straight time whether they work the holiday or not. They get paid separately for 13 "negotiated" holidays.
- You applaud Levy for going after the unions? Did you take a very close look at your tax bill lately? What part of that bill brings attention? The police?...at $894 a year, it may be a bit high but I can live with it. I never had a problem with them assisting me when I called upon them.
The "County General fund" at a whopping $89 a year supports the Suffolk County Correction officers salary. And, as I may guess no one here realizes, those officers have been working on 2003 wages thanks to Mr. Levy. Yup, no contract or raise for 6 years....not even that happens in the private sector.
My fire district gets $536 a year. Considering that only covers my town (as opposed to the tax for the cops that covers most of Suffolk County), I consider that too high.

...but, the one tax that no one here seems to have a problem with but makes up OVER 50% of my tax bill is the damn schools!!! Why aren't the folks in Suffolk County up in arms about this? Are you stuck feeding on the bottle of "It's for the Children"? Well, let me let you in on a little secret.....it's NOT for the kids, it's for school "administrators". You know, the assistant to the assistant to the assistant....
This has gotten WAY out of hand and these school taxes should be CUT IN HALF for starters. The school districts should be combined (we have WAY too many districts) and the administrative staff should be greatly reduced. Last I checked, there's 25-27 kids per class. For the children?...my ass !

Want to talk about the cops and their days off? Did you ever consider the days off a teacher gets? Last I know, they get off EVERY HOLIDAY and EVERY SUMMER. Not too shabby if you ask me. So, before you **** and moan about some days a cop gets, take your head out of the sand and look around.

Did any of you people read the article snoozday did on our schools vs schools in Fairfax Va ? Before you defend the school taxes here, please read that article.
This is a thread on the police... not the teachers so please stay on topic. But if you want to compare... if you add in the 13 paid holidays (which you either get off or work and get double time and a half)... the 6 weeks vacation... the chart days... the sick days... the personal days... the cops are working just as much as the teachers! Except the cops get paid a lot more and do not have to attend any college whatsoever. Yes, this is a blatant travesty if there ever was one.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:58 PM

93 posts, read 242,134 times
Is it true that they don't pay NY Income Tax? I heard that and it seems ridiculous but may be true. If they don't, that should be reversed.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:00 PM

249 posts, read 511,873 times
Mikey, your wife must be a teacher.....lol

Old 12-31-2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franaissance View Post
Is it true that they don't pay NY Income Tax? I heard that and it seems ridiculous but may be true. If they don't, that should be reversed.
Who doesn't pay NY income tax? The illegal aliens cutting your grass? No, THEY don't but I can assure you every civil servant in Suffolk County does. (cops included)

Old 12-31-2008, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Mikey, your wife must be a teacher.....lol
no, there are teachers in my family though for full disclosure. However I know teachers don't make 6 figures until they are working for close to 20 years and coaching a couple of sports. A cop has the ability to make great money with OT, in addition to the very high base after only 7 years. After 7 years, the family member who is a teacher was only in the 60's and still paying off college and grad school student loans. A friend who is a cop was making top pay which was like 25 grand more a year (even though he was 4 years younger than my relative) and continued to make another 25 grand working some overtime. Something is wrong with this picture. I know after 7 years of working I did not make in salary what a cop at top pay makes. Yet, I had a graduate degree and a professional certification. I also had significantly less time off, and no pension. This are just extremely out of whack.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyc4582 View Post
no, there are teachers in my family though for full disclosure. However I know teachers don't make 6 figures until they are working for close to 20 years and coaching a couple of sports. A cop has the ability to make great money with OT, in addition to the very high base after only 7 years. After 7 years, the family member who is a teacher was only in the 60's and still paying off college and grad school student loans. A friend who is a cop was making top pay which was like 25 grand more a year (even though he was 4 years younger than my relative) and continued to make another 25 grand working some overtime. Something is wrong with this picture. I know after 7 years of working I did not make in salary what a cop at top pay makes. Yet, I had a graduate degree and a professional certification. I also had significantly less time off, and no pension. This are just extremely out of whack.
Well, the teacher in your family isn't going to get shot doing their job, but your buddy?........he gets paid for what he "might" have to do or endure. I say teams are even.
You want the extra $25k?, go put on a bullet proof vest and go fight crime.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:30 PM

93 posts, read 242,134 times
There should be a special unit of the police to manage traffic during parades; festivals, etc...These guys are getting big bucks to direct traffic when the budget could be better managed with 'traffic duty people'. They could also be called when accidents occur, etc...Kind of like on the order of assistant vs associate vs partner type deals.

Don't blast me...but I am sure to get pounded on this one...I still think it is a great idea but may be in need of fine tuning...

Old 12-31-2008, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by franaissance View Post
There should be a special unit of the police to manage traffic during parades; festivals, etc...These guys are getting big bucks to direct traffic when the budget could be better managed with 'traffic duty people'. They could also be called when accidents occur, etc...Kind of like on the order of assistant vs associate vs partner type deals.

Don't blast me...but I am sure to get pounded on this one...I still think it is a great idea but may be in need of fine tuning...
Dude, we use "Auxiliary Police" (volunteers) for those events in conjunction with paid cops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island