Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 12:15 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,100,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dregg View Post
You people must be on drugs to believe the bull being thrown around on the radio and papers from the Levy camp.It's all a political smoke screen.

Anyway, some things brought up in this thread.
Cops working holidays get paid time and a half? Nope, not true. They get paid straight time whether they work the holiday or not. They get paid separately for 13 "negotiated" holidays.
- You applaud Levy for going after the unions? Did you take a very close look at your tax bill lately? What part of that bill brings attention? The police?...at $894 a year, it may be a bit high but I can live with it. I never had a problem with them assisting me when I called upon them.
The "County General fund" at a whopping $89 a year supports the Suffolk County Correction officers salary. And, as I may guess no one here realizes, those officers have been working on 2003 wages thanks to Mr. Levy. Yup, no contract or raise for 6 years....not even that happens in the private sector.
My fire district gets $536 a year. Considering that only covers my town (as opposed to the tax for the cops that covers most of Suffolk County), I consider that too high.

...but, the one tax that no one here seems to have a problem with but makes up OVER 50% of my tax bill is the damn schools!!! Why aren't the folks in Suffolk County up in arms about this? Are you stuck feeding on the bottle of "It's for the Children"? Well, let me let you in on a little secret.....it's NOT for the kids, it's for school "administrators". You know, the assistant to the assistant to the assistant....
This has gotten WAY out of hand and these school taxes should be CUT IN HALF for starters. The school districts should be combined (we have WAY too many districts) and the administrative staff should be greatly reduced. Last I checked, there's 25-27 kids per class. For the children?...my ass !

Want to talk about the cops and their days off? Did you ever consider the days off a teacher gets? Last I know, they get off EVERY HOLIDAY and EVERY SUMMER. Not too shabby if you ask me. So, before you **** and moan about some days a cop gets, take your head out of the sand and look around.

Did any of you people read the article snoozday did on our schools vs schools in Fairfax Va ? Before you defend the school taxes here, please read that article.

http://www.cgr.org/docs/2007_A_tale_of_2_suburbs.pdf

Thanks for weighing in officer.

crooks

Old 01-01-2009, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Someone has a grudge against teachers.

There are lawfully and legally binding contracts made by a "union" with too much power and a few too many arrogant "members" that politicians have been to cozy with for too long.

Everytime you folks out there in Suffolk hear a cop on a message board tell you "tough luck, there's nothing you can do about it.." that should be all the motivation you need to get in the ears of your elected officials to never let another contract like the last one pass. There actual is quite a bit you and your neighbors can and should do about it. Call up Levy's office and let him know you support what he is doing.

You should look at your school taxes, and then think how many teachers you have in your school district and how many hours the schools are open,and then think about how many cops are in the same geographic area and how much money is going to them. Teachers on LI are highly paid and I understand peoples concern...maybe there should be some cuts there too. However, cops in Suffolk are making what VP's in small corporations are making..with High School Diplomas. It's a question of proportion and common sense. It has been knon for years that landing an SCPD job is a "lottery ticket" realtive to the effort and education involved. Yes, the academy is hard....I don't know if it's getting through 2 years of MBA classes while working, but it is difficult.

Could you have an equally solid police force if the cops made 60-70K per year instead of over 100k that most of them average? I think that the Sheriffs are proving that. Don't you think the same guys would flock to this occupation even with that pay scale? Again, High School only...

Thats their only defense.
They immediately shift the balme on the Teachers.

They all have the same talking points.
Check any of the old threads.

Same exact pattern.

Then they'll get some clown to egg on the board till the thread gets shut down.

Dont take the bait....its what they want.

crooks

Old 01-01-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
An earlier post said something about how much we actually pay in taxes for police. I looked at my 2009 tax bill...its $802 for SCPD. That's just over $2 a day. It doesn't seem like a lot personally.

As another civil servant..I also thought about the 100 days off a year that a cop can take...and thought about my own situation. I work rotating shifts...and about every 3 weeks get 3 days off in a row. It is a life saver...and keeps my family sane after working 7 nights in a row.

I'm eligible for 65 days off a year through leave/sick/holidays...plus another 15 for military leave. I do not even come close to taking all those days...the weather around here doesn't allow it. Do SCPD take all 100 days off they are entitled too? As far as I understood...the 28 "chart" days were extra days off cops got to lessen the amount of OT they get. At least thats how it worked for my dad when he was a firefighter.

Take all I say with a grain of salt...I have only been here a year, but I think if you look at most civil service jobs it would be pretty similar.

Did you make 150k last year?

crooks

Old 01-01-2009, 02:10 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,489,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Did you make 150k last year?

crooks
Nope...been accused of being an overpaid meteorologist but I'm not there yet.

Just finding it hard to believe that many SCPD even get the chance to use 100 days.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:32 AM

13,506 posts, read 16,952,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dregg View Post
No it's not joke to compare. Does your wife fight with the skells of society? Lets face it, cops usually only deal with the dredges of society on a daily basis. He's not dealing with the likes of your wife on a daily basis. When you need help, who do you call?...your wife? I think not. You call 9-11 and summon the police to help you. They deal with everything from violence, to accidents, and medical help. There is no comparison. Your wife is safely tucked away at home by 4pm on weeknights while the average cop is dealing with scum at 4am. There IS a difference, even if you refuse to believe it.
And as far as Correction Officers, they deal with the sh:t 24/7. There is no break for those guys yet they have been doing the job for 6 years without a pay raise.

And I fully believe that a cop, despite having no education, should make equivalent pay to a teacher on Long Island, witha 20 year retirment instead of 30, to compensate for the "difference". They should not be making 35%, with 20 year retirement, and then have the arrogance to brag about it it and shove it in the taxpayers face by saying "deal with it". And to ask for even more pay considering how disproportionate what they earn is again displays their incredibly arrogance.

Oh, and by the way, every skell that cops (you) deal with goes through public school, so yes teachers do deal with them.

As for "who do you call"...that's what the JOB is, officer. You're not a good samaritan or a vigilante gang of do-gooder tough guys, despite what you and most of your colleagues think.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:33 AM

13,506 posts, read 16,952,802 times
Quote:
Thats their only defense.
They immediately shift the balme on the Teachers.

They all have the same talking points.
Check any of the old threads.

Same exact pattern.

Then they'll get some clown to egg on the board till the thread gets shut down.

Dont take the bait....its what they want.

crooks

Yes, let's keep it civil. Hopefully more people on LI will read threads like this and some of the comments by cops and get a fire under them.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:42 AM

143 posts, read 298,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
Nope...been accused of being an overpaid meteorologist but I'm not there yet.

Just finding it hard to believe that many SCPD even get the chance to use 100 days.
Most of them don't... but the point is they can qualify for 100 days off and if they don't take those days, they get paid for it. So whether they actually work the day or not is irrelevant because they are getting the extra pay for those days. The vacation and sick time is banked for a big daypay upon retirement. Holidays are paid as double time and a half.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyc4582 View Post
Most of them don't... but the point is they can qualify for 100 days off and if they don't take those days, they get paid for it. So whether they actually work the day or not is irrelevant because they are getting the extra pay for those days. The vacation and sick time is banked for a big daypay upon retirement. Holidays are paid as double time and a half.
Hence 150k a year for a GED.

Suffolk County Police Dept (http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/police/recruitment.htm - broken link)

Sad.

crooks

Old 01-01-2009, 10:07 AM

143 posts, read 298,438 times
Quote:
Hence 150k a year for a GED.

Suffolk County Police Dept (http://www.co.suffolk.ny.us/police/recruitment.htm - broken link)

Sad.

crooks
That's a point many people miss. A suffolk county cop can start earning years before a teacher, or anyone else for that matter can earn. That's because teachers need to go to college and get a 4 year degree... then must attend graduate school. If a teacher and a cop start their careers at the same time... by the time the teacher graduates from grad school, the cop is at top pay and a few short years away from fully funded retirement courtesy of John Q Taxpayer.

Keep in mind... the 5 on 2 off 5 on 3 off biweekly working police the SCPD has entitles them to an extra 16 days off. That does not involve any time off or vacation time... that's just their work schedule. Most jobs require you to work 5 days a week every week with the weekends off. The SCPD gets an extra day added to the weekend every 2 weeks. An extra day off for free... and all of those days off amount to 16 days off.

So, if you take the 16 days off the SCPD gets that is built into their work schedule... add that to the 6 weeks vacation they get... and add that to the chart days they get... and even if a cop doesn't take all of his chart and sick days... the SCPD cop will still work slightly more (or maybe even less) than your average teacher. That's a real eye opener and travesty. I'll be willing to bet most suffolk county residents didn't know that cops and teachers work the same number of days (unless the cop is working overtime and getting paid bigtime and banking his vacation days).

Old 01-01-2009, 10:12 AM

8,797 posts, read 21,195,175 times
The fact that they can say "deal with it there's nothing you can do about it" .

I found that offensive , also.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island