U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2009, 12:15 PM

143 posts, read 185,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
ok, until then how many lives will be lost due to inadequate patrols from the sheriffs department? I am sure all this training they receive will cost the county nothing either, right?
Are you a suffok county cop? the scare tactics used by the pba have not come into fruition. No lives have been lost because a deputy is not trained in using an AED... which is really the only thing a scpd cop can do that a deputy can't. So please... spare us the scare tactics. The fact is a SCPD costs almost double a deputy in total compensation and to train a deputy in usage of an aed does not cost more than 3k per deputy. The county is saving and getting just as good, if not better coverage. Thank you again to the deputies for doing such a wonderful job so cheaply.

Old 01-01-2009, 12:34 PM

843 posts, read 1,148,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyc4582 View Post
From what I understand the deputies are in the process for being emt trained and certified. I agree this certification is very important... but I'm certain we can get is much less cheaply than what the SCPD currently gives us.
Cannot argue about the certification thing, but the sheriff's dept is being more proactive , which will keep people from speeding (it's keeping this writer from speeding). Hopefully there will be less accidents !
The LIE is an interstate highway - I believe most interstates elsewhere are patrolled by State Troopers (???). Would anyone know if they are EMT certified ?

Old 01-01-2009, 12:58 PM

1,056 posts, read 548,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyc4582 View Post
Are you a suffok county cop? the scare tactics used by the pba have not come into fruition. No lives have been lost because a deputy is not trained in using an AED... which is really the only thing a scpd cop can do that a deputy can't. So please... spare us the scare tactics. The fact is a SCPD costs almost double a deputy in total compensation and to train a deputy in usage of an aed does not cost more than 3k per deputy. The county is saving and getting just as good, if not better coverage. Thank you again to the deputies for doing such a wonderful job so cheaply.
No, Im far from ever being a cop. Ive heard stories from my father for nearly 30 years on how safe it was on the road, thanks to the suffolk police and he had had emergencies on the expressway, which were life threatening and the police came within minutes. Now what do the sheriffs do on the scene besides direct traffic?

Old 01-01-2009, 01:00 PM

what about the nassau county police? they receive just a little less than what the scpd get and they arent qualified to do ems. explain how nassau deserves it and suffolk doesnt?

Old 01-01-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetimeliguy View Post
Cannot argue about the certification thing, but the sheriff's dept is being more proactive , which will keep people from speeding (it's keeping this writer from speeding). Hopefully there will be less accidents !
The LIE is an interstate highway - I believe most interstates elsewhere are patrolled by State Troopers (???). Would anyone know if they are EMT certified ?
I never see state troopers on the lie. I only see nassau, suffolk and NYPD on the LIE.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:10 PM

7,658 posts, read 10,434,347 times
Quote:
I never see state troopers on the lie. I only see nassau, suffolk and NYPD on the LIE.
Arent there Troopers in Riverhead where there is no SCPD?

Troopers seem to do a great job on every other Interstate in America.
Why not ours?

crooks

Old 01-01-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Arent there Troopers in Riverhead where there is no SCPD?

Troopers seem to do a great job on every other Interstate in America.
Why not ours?

crooks
I rarely go out to riverhead. I cant remember the last time I went there.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:42 PM

7,259 posts, read 7,316,975 times
Quote:
ok, until then how many lives will be lost due to inadequate patrols from the sheriffs department? I am sure all this training they receive will cost the county nothing either, right?
Most likely none, and after the certification, definitely none. SCPD and the Sheriffs go through the same academy.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:47 PM

7,259 posts, read 7,316,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
The fact that they can say "deal with it there's nothing you can do about it" .

I found that offensive , also.

Well, that's what you will hear from SCPD cops on any LI message board. They know how ridiculously well off they are, and they want you to think that you, the people who are paying for it, can't and/or shouldn't do anything about it. You can, and you should. SCPD compensation is out of line with virutally every civil service job in the country..it's a goldmine for the uneducated.

It should be a good, solid, respectable job, not a goldmine. We're not talking about "market forces" dictating this salary, we're talking about weak and corrupt politicians pressured or in bed with a Police Union, enabled by a populace that doesn't have the time, or doesn't want to be bothered...or just doesn't know what is going on.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:57 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,950,196 times
I agree with Dman. These guys get paid a ton of money and can't be bothered. I've called scpd several times about QOL issues and they did squat. Went down to the precinct and was pretty much told oh well, we were probably busy, if it happens again call this other number. It's BULL. And the fact that they have the huevos to ask for more anything is shameful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island