Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2009, 06:06 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,099,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Well, that's what you will hear from SCPD cops on any LI message board. They know how ridiculously well off they are, and they want you to think that you, the people who are paying for it, can't and/or shouldn't do anything about it. You can, and you should. SCPD compensation is out of line with virutally every civil service job in the country..it's a goldmine for the uneducated.

It should be a good, solid, respectable job, not a goldmine. We're not talking about "market forces" dictating this salary, we're talking about weak and corrupt politicians pressured or in bed with a Police Union, enabled by a populace that doesn't have the time, or doesn't want to be bothered...or just doesn't know what is going on.

The populace doesnt have the time because theyre too busy working and bearing the brunt of unreasonbale taxation.

Its awesome to see Levy out front on this.

Wheres Suozzi?

He's looking weak.

crooks

Old 01-01-2009, 06:39 PM

13,506 posts, read 16,951,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
I agree with Dman. These guys get paid a ton of money and can't be bothered. I've called scpd several times about QOL issues and they did squat. Went down to the precinct and was pretty much told oh well, we were probably busy, if it happens again call this other number. It's BULL. And the fact that they have the huevos to ask for more anything is shameful.
I never said that I had an issue with the job that SCPD does...I've never had any interaction with them other than calling the non-emergency number over a few loud parties, and in those incidents the noise stopped. The question is whether they need to be making what VP's with MBA's working 50-60 hours per week in mid-level companies do in order to get that job done. If they were taking in 75K per year plus their current benefits, people would still be flocking by the thousands to take the test, because you cannot get compensated like that with a HS diploma anywhere else.

Do guys who get the Sheriffs jobs turn them down because they will be making 40K a year less than SCPD? I don't think so. Even making 60K plus all the benefits is more than the vast majority of people with only HS Diplomas could ever hope for...retiring after 20 years? Please.

SCPD PBA would have you believe that we would be living in Compton if their members were making 70K instead of over 100K. Give me a break.

Old 01-01-2009, 07:36 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,413,233 times
Quote:
I never said that I had an issue with the job that SCPD does...I've never had any interaction with them other than calling the non-emergency number over a few loud parties, and in those incidents the noise stopped. The question is whether they need to be making what VP's with MBA's working 50-60 hours per week in mid-level companies do in order to get that job done. If they were taking in 75K per year plus their current benefits, people would still be flocking by the thousands to take the test, because you cannot get compensated like that with a HS diploma anywhere else.

Do guys who get the Sheriffs jobs turn them down because they will be making 40K a year less than SCPD? I don't think so. Even making 60K plus all the benefits is more than the vast majority of people with only HS Diplomas could ever hope for...retiring after 20 years? Please.

SCPD PBA would have you believe that we would be living in Compton if their members were making 70K instead of over 100K. Give me a break.
Well if you're going to compare CEO's and the job that they've done, with my recent experience with the SCPD it seems that the salaries are right on par. I wonder if SCPD offers spa vacations too??

Old 01-01-2009, 08:12 PM

143 posts, read 298,409 times
The Nassau County Police compensation is out of whack too... Suffolk and Nassau PBA feeds off eachother. However the Suffolk contract has expired and is in arbritration now... hence all of the media coverage.

The largest employer on LI... North Shore-LIJ Health System recently gave their employees a 3% pay increase while increasing the health insurance premiums and taking away 3 paid time off days (PTO) per year. It will be interesting to see what the arbitrators give the Suffolk County Cops...

Old 01-02-2009, 08:46 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,126,388 times
Quote:
Most likely none, and after the certification, definitely none. SCPD and the Sheriffs go through the same academy.

yes, but seperate rooms.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:55 AM

143 posts, read 298,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
The populace doesnt have the time because theyre too busy working and bearing the brunt of unreasonbale taxation.

Its awesome to see Levy out front on this.

Wheres Suozzi?

He's looking weak.

crooks
Suozzi failed miserabley in his negotiations with the Nassau PBA. He thought he got concessions from the Nassau PBA, but in reality he gave the the more senior police officers a big time raise (24%) at the expense of the new officers. Now you have Nassau cops making 117k top pay with no overtime and all of the time off. Also, their pension is calculated off top pay... so Suozzi just gave these cops a major pension increase as well. Suozzi is very weak.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
yes, but seperate rooms.
Well, that justifies a 60% difference in pay.

I thought you weren't a cop?

Old 01-02-2009, 09:28 AM

7,801 posts, read 10,061,033 times
I don't see why people are bashing the Suffolk County Sheriff's Office ... unless of course they are or are related to an SCPD officer who is afraid that the gravy train is about to come to an end.

I know several Suffolk County deputy sheriff's and they have the same exact training and have to meet the same exact training standards as a Suffolk County Police officer. As for EMT training, not all of the 270ish deputies are EMT certified but many of them have taken the EMT certification classes and EMT training is mandatory for certain special assignments in the office such as the Marine unit.

They also have alot of the specialized units found in the SCPD such Marine, horses (something the SCPD does not have), bicycle/ATV, SWAT, K9, traffic, criminal investigations, etc. Deputy Sheriff's also handle pistol licensing for the East End and the usual sheriff stuff like evictions, warrants, prisoner transport, etc

Old 01-02-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I don't see why people are bashing the Suffolk County Sheriff's Office ... unless of course they are or are related to an SCPD officer who is afraid that the gravy train is about to come to an end.

I know several Suffolk County deputy sheriff's and they have the same exact training and have to meet the same exact training standards as a Suffolk County Police officer. As for EMT training, not all of the 270ish deputies are EMT certified but many of them have taken the EMT certification classes and EMT training is mandatory for certain special assignments in the office such as the Marine unit.

They also have alot of the specialized units found in the SCPD such Marine, horses (something the SCPD does not have), bicycle/ATV, SWAT, K9, traffic, criminal investigations, etc. Deputy Sheriff's also handle pistol licensing for the East End and the usual sheriff stuff like evictions, warrants, prisoner transport, etc

Why don't we just expand the Sheriffs dept and phase out SCPD? I don't understand how we got to this point that SCPD are so powerful that they can pull off making $40K a year more than similarly qualified and effective law enforcement.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:41 AM

7,801 posts, read 10,061,033 times
Quote:
Why don't we just expand the Sheriffs dept and phase out SCPD? I don't understand how we got to this point that SCPD are so powerful that they can pull of making $40K a year more than similarly qualified and effective law enforcement.
I think that is what will eventually happen gradually over time.

However, there are 2 problems:

1) The power of the PBA and their ability to spread misinformation.

2) Civil Service laws state that we can't merge 1 job title into another unless the said law was to be changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island