Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2009, 10:11 AM

13,506 posts, read 16,959,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyc4582 View Post
Suozzi failed miserabley in his negotiations with the Nassau PBA. He thought he got concessions from the Nassau PBA, but in reality he gave the the more senior police officers a big time raise (24%) at the expense of the new officers. Now you have Nassau cops making 117k top pay with no overtime and all of the time off. Also, their pension is calculated off top pay... so Suozzi just gave these cops a major pension increase as well. Suozzi is very weak.
Maybe that was the concession he had to make for the long term health of Nassau.

What Suffolk should do is lower the pay scale for new cops, start offering the older highly paid guys early retirement, and start utilizing the sheriffs dept.

My company's tax bill is 11% made up of police taxes. We should easily be able to cut this by 20-30% just by reducing these ridiculous compensation packages.

I'm sure there is plenty of other fat in that tax bill that we should attack also, but the police need to realize that it is not the taxpayers job to take care of them for the rest of their lives, and that the gravy train needs to end. They will immediately point fingers at teachers, but anyone sensible analysis of the situation shows that they are being compensated far beyond teachers in this area.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I think that is what will eventually happen gradually over time.

However, there are 2 problems:

1) The power of the PBA and their ability to spread misinformation.

2) Civil Service laws state that we can't merge 1 job title into another unless the said law was to be changed.

True.

It's not like that cops care about #2...as long as they keep making what they are making, they don't care about those coming up behind them. Maybe the guy on another website forum who says that he can't wait for his 3 year old to get on the same gravy train he is on..he already has 2 corvettes and one is for his kid.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:17 AM

143 posts, read 298,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Maybe that was the concession he had to make for the long term health of Nassau.

What Suffolk should do is lower the pay scale for new cops, start offering the older highly paid guys early retirement, and start utilizing the sheriffs dept.

My company's tax bill is 11% made up of police taxes. We should easily be able to cut this by 20-30% just by reducing these ridiculous compensation packages.

I'm sure there is plenty of other fat in that tax bill that we should attack also, but the police need to realize that it is not the taxpayers job to take care of them for the rest of their lives, and that the gravy train needs to end. They will immediately point fingers at teachers, but anyone sensible analysis of the situation shows that they are being compensated far beyond teachers in this area.
Lower pay scale for newer cops doesn't help. A higher pay scale for the newer cops and the less dramatic pay increases would work better. In Suozzi's senario, the newer cops get less money initially but after 7 years are making 117k for just showing up and not working 1 minute of overtime. Their pension is also calculated from the avg of their final 3 working years... so giving the more senior cops these very high base salaries leads to bloated pension costs. Keep in mind these guys can retire after 20 years... so we are paying their pensions for a REALLY long time.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:18 AM

249 posts, read 511,731 times
Quote:
Are you a suffok county cop? the scare tactics used by the pba have not come into fruition. No lives have been lost because a deputy is not trained in using an AED... which is really the only thing a scpd cop can do that a deputy can't. So please... spare us the scare tactics. The fact is a SCPD costs almost double a deputy in total compensation and to train a deputy in usage of an aed does not cost more than 3k per deputy. The county is saving and getting just as good, if not better coverage. Thank you again to the deputies for doing such a wonderful job so cheaply.

Mikey, did you miss my earlier post about the $$$ the Deputies are costing us with this Hwy take over? If so, here it is again.

[And Mikey, how much money do you really think we, as tax payers are saving with the Deputies taking over the Hwys? I'm here to tell you it's probably costing us more money. How you ask? Well, the Sheriffs dept moved Deputies out of other assignments to fill the Hwy's but left those other areas understaffed. Those other areas are now covered by OT. Yup, at time and a half to the poor tax paying public like yourself. Yes, the Deputies are a bunch of good guys and gals who do a terrific job but at the tax payers expense. Oh, don't worry, they'll do an even better job once they get all the proper equipment for the task at hand (more patrol cars, push bars, radar guns, hwy safety light bars, vehicle laptop computers, accident scene rescue trucks with all the lighting, and more training)]

Now, if you take a single deputy and a single suffolk cop and compare them, then yes, the Deputy is the cheaper law enforcement officer. However, what do you think is going to happen to the pay of those Deputies come contract time? They are going to ask for "pay parity" since they are asked to do the job of a suffolk cop. Their pay WILL increase because of it. Levy may have won a small battle in the papers now but lets see how you tax payers feel after all is said and done.

And I still don't think the cops salary is our biggest problem here on L.I. Yeah, while it may be on the "high side", so is everything else around here. Again, take a look at your tax bill and you'll see exactly where your money is wasted. It has gotten so bad here on the Island that many Doctors are closing their practices and leaving the state due to the increase (3x) in their insurance rates.

What is left for us here? What good has NY state done for us? When was the last time your taxes were lowered?

....and before I forget, who was the clown that said L.I. is one of the safest places to live? Guess he's never been to the South Shore Mall at night. Crime is rampant here with all the gang activity going on. It's everywhere you look.

Hey, while i'm on a roll, I may as well toss in the garbage on our roads. I feel like i'm driving through a dump when i'm on Sunrise hwy. Trash is EVERYWHERE. Yeah, L.I. is such a wonderful place filled with such wonderful people. Heck, I don't even bother locking my doors at night.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:23 AM

Dregg is isn't just salary that is the problem with the SCPD... it's all the other benefits that leads to a total compensation that is through the roof. Even if the Deputies get a pay raise... their benefits still aren't worth nearly as much as the freebies given to the SCPD. Also, come contract time the deputies will not get a windfall, because they can very easily be moved off the highway.

This move is a complete win-win for the county because even though there will be more deputies making overtime, the SCPD that was moved from the highway will go into patrol, meaning less SCPD overtime is needed. The SCPD overtime is a lot more expensive then the deputy overtime. Additionally, this move buys Levy bargaining power with the PBA and other unions... it's a brilliant move that has the union cronies pulling their hair out.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:27 AM

By the way... for anyone else that may have noticed...

Every time a cop comes on here to defend their compensation, they always resort to bringing up other things that are more expensive, or need improvement. It's the old bait and switch and hope the people talking about the original topic get on another topic.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:

Every time a cop comes on here to defend their compensation, they always resort to bringing up other things that are more expensive, or need improvement. It's the old bait and switch and hope the people talking about the original topic get on another topic.
You implying i'm a suffolk cop or deputy? The answer to that is no.
Anyway, you should look at things that are more expensive and that need improvement. The stuff i brought up is definitely on topic. If we were having a conversation at a back yard bbq, you wouldn't say otherwise. There are a lot of things wrong with L.I. So much that i'm afraid the bad out weights the good.
btw, what do you do for a living? I see you've been typing away on the comp for the past few days. Are you retired?

Old 01-02-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dregg View Post
You implying i'm a suffolk cop or deputy? The answer to that is no.
Anyway, you should look at things that are more expensive and that need improvement. The stuff i brought up is definitely on topic. If we were having a conversation at a back yard bbq, you wouldn't say otherwise. There are a lot of things wrong with L.I. So much that i'm afraid the bad out weights the good.
btw, what do you do for a living? I see you've been typing away on the comp for the past few days. Are you retired?
Tax payer's hard earned money doesn't not pay my income... so what I do is none of your business.

I do agree LI has it's problems... but police compensation and the resentment that comes along with it (especially in these times) is a big one. Just because police compensation isn't the biggest piece of the pie does not mean it should be ignored and the cops just given these ridiculous benefits.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Tax payer's hard earned money doesn't not pay my income... so what I do is none of your business.

I do agree LI has it's problems... but police compensation and the resentment that comes along with it (especially in these times) is a big one. Just because police compensation isn't the biggest piece of the pie does not mean it should be ignored and the cops just given these ridiculous benefits.
Well, get in the "resentment" line then. There's plenty to be resentful about, not just the cops.

Old 01-02-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:

That in addition to the tactic of <tough guy voice> "You wouldn't say dat to my face!"

Yeah, you're right, I do have a minor fear that you would unethically wield your power out of resentment, so I might not be so forthcoming about my feelings to your face. It's not that I wouldn't be able to debate with you officer... ..

Watch for something retributive from the police as this contract situation unfolds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island