Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2009, 05:23 PM

208 posts, read 910,598 times

Advertisements

anyone belong to them and have any info you can give me on your overall experiences with them?

I am seriously annoyed by Chase, as I received two separate "Withdrawl Limit Fees" after making a bunch of paypal purchases from my bank account. um, ok what is the point of using your bank account if they are going to charge you this ridiculous fee? So I want to withdraw all my money from chase and open a savings and checking account at Bethpage, and I just wanted some heads up on what to expect from them.

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 10:42 PM

9,918 posts, read 23,027,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbure9x View Post
anyone belong to them and have any info you can give me on your overall experiences with them?

I am seriously annoyed by Chase, as I received two separate "Withdrawl Limit Fees" after making a bunch of paypal purchases from my bank account. um, ok what is the point of using your bank account if they are going to charge you this ridiculous fee? So I want to withdraw all my money from chase and open a savings and checking account at Bethpage, and I just wanted some heads up on what to expect from them.

thanks!
My daughter first opened her account there when she was working at Computer Associates, years ago. She no longer works at CA, but continues to have an account with Bethpage Federal - no complaints (and she would!! LOL)

Also, credit unions and S&Ls usually pay higher interest on savings accounts than commercial banks.

Old 05-06-2009, 08:32 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,306,042 times
They've been fine for me, however I just use the checks and ATM and branches to do money transactions. You have to open the savings account, this is your primary account to use if you wish to open anything else up. Go for the regular checking, its free. They do have a checking account that gives a little interest but there's a fee tied to it. No need for that. Best thing to do is open the savings, regular checking and open the money market. Reason is you'll get more interest on the money market than on the savings. Hey in this economy, every cent counts. When the economy was booming their money market was around 3.5 to 4 while other banks were at 2.5 to 3.

You can also use your BFCU ATM card without charge at shared locations - SFCU, TFCU, Walgreens and I think there are a few other areas but can't recall right now.

Main HQ is in Bethpage (of course), and their other branches are open on Saturdays, however the branch in Commack is in a supermarket and they're open on Sundays.

http://www.bfcu.com

Old 05-06-2009, 08:58 AM

43 posts, read 179,586 times
You also can use the ATM at any 7-11 for free, as well as any Credit Union ATM.

I've been with them for over 10 years and have had checking, savings, money market, an auto loan and 2 mortgages with them. So far no complaints.

Like one of the previous posters said, you have to keep $5 in your savings account But if you plan on keeping savings there, I would reccommend opening a money market and keep the rest of your savings there (except for the $5 you need to keep in Savings).

Old 05-06-2009, 09:29 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,296,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplrr View Post
You also can use the ATM at any 7-11 for free, as well as any Credit Union ATM.

I've been with them for over 10 years and have had checking, savings, money market, an auto loan and 2 mortgages with them. So far no complaints.

Like one of the previous posters said, you have to keep $5 in your savings account But if you plan on keeping savings there, I would reccommend opening a money market and keep the rest of your savings there (except for the $5 you need to keep in Savings).
Same here regarding experience. I have been with them since 2000. Very pleased and their expansion of ATM usage has been a nice thing lately, e.g. 7-11's, etc. I also had a HELOC with them at one point. All good experiences.

Old 05-06-2009, 12:42 PM

131 posts, read 608,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Same here regarding experience. I have been with them since 2000. Very pleased and their expansion of ATM usage has been a nice thing lately, e.g. 7-11's, etc. I also had a HELOC with them at one point. All good experiences.
Same here. There customer service and branch employees are a pleasure to deal with.

Old 05-06-2009, 01:27 PM

208 posts, read 910,598 times
thanks everyone. looks like I will be taking my money to Bethpage in the near future....

one last question. Is it the same as with the major banks to set up online bill paying and all that with them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island