Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 11:52 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,321,532 times

Advertisements

Something bad went down there last Saturday night, with SCPD and Constables in front of Bada-Bing or whatever it is now, I timed the bus to the train so I didn't have to hang out there for long, the 7:07pm train was waiting when I got off the bus.
They did clean up the "art" at 104 though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 03:37 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,976,853 times
About a year ago, there was a murder there...two coke-fueled morons, had a fight, one of them lost.

Just another night in the Neighborhood !

It's business as usual.

As long as it doesn't spill down into the harbor area, the Yuppies are Coooooooooooool with it !

Accommadating this "tenderloin" area, is like surrendering. If they actually wanted to clean it up, Hope House would have to go...and I mean "disappear".

Liberalism at it's MOST moronic !

Old 04-10-2009, 04:54 PM

112 posts, read 218,394 times
I grew up in Port Jefferson in the 60's and really nothing has changed , aside from the addition of Father Frank's Flop House ( or , if you prefer , Hopeless House ). The part of town surrounding the train station , whatever the zip code may be , has ALWAYS been populated by peculiar personalities , nefarious no-goodniks , lurking , leering Latinos , mischievous meanderers , homesteading hobos , noxious nomads , and larcenous loiterers !

Someone mentioned that other train-stop towns such as Sayville and Cold Spring Harbor don't have this problem but I've always had a theory that , because PJ is the end of the North Shore RR line , these crazy characters , hop the train from ..well , where ever ..and just ride it as far as it goes , climb off , and then just settle down in PJ , to shock , bewilder , and terrorize the good citizens , not to mention stymie the local law enforcement ( which really doesn't take much effort ).

Johnny " Finger " is , as previously mentioned , simply a harmless mentally retarded person who spends his days aimlessly wandering the streets but , causing no one any harm. He has , over the decades , achieved a certain amount of local fame , or depending on your viewpoint , infamy , but I can recall some other colorful characters from the PJ of my youth ....

There was the Polish immigrant ( his name escapes me ) who walked all around town , 24/7 , pushing a shopping cart , speaking ( English ? ) to anyone who cared , or didn't care , to listen to his ramblings . Remember him ? I eventually found out that , despite what you would assume , he was not poor but actually fairly well off !

And who could forget Mr. Cooper ? A most distinguished , well groomed , intelligent looking person as you might ever see ! His quirk , or schtick , was that he ALWAYS , 365 days of the year , was dressed for rain !
He always wore a tie , hat , raincoat , and carried an umbrella ! Oh yeah , I almost forgot ....he also used to talk to telephone poles and street signs. I vividly recall watching him converse with a telephone pole while waving his umbrella around to accentuate whatever point he was trying to make. Witnessing that scene , as a child , brought to mind one of my favorite cartoon characters , Mr. Magoo.

That picture of the graffiti on the side of Murphy's pub that someone previouly posted ....

Does anyone remember when 2 halfwits got into an argument at said pub and one of them left , ran to the nearby Shell station , threw a female customer out of her car and then drove it right thru that ( pictured ) Northside outer wall and INTO the pub ?

Ah what memories I have of my hometown.

My next post will be on how to clean up that part of town

Last edited by GR8ACTR; 04-10-2009 at 06:15 PM..

Old 04-10-2009, 06:34 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
My in-laws live in Port Jefferson Station--right on the border of Selden. It looks like a nice area. I don't know why people say it isn't that nice?
On the border is okay.The pictures are from route 112.The train tracks separate PJS and PJ Village. North of the tracks PJS. 104 Main St. is north not south of the tracks. The Bada Bing is the first business south of the tracks. In PJS the lake streets by the sunoco station on the corner of old town road have gone down hill for years but so has the Comsewogue district.I lived in PJS from 82-98 behind Boyle road.

Old 04-10-2009, 10:10 PM

Lance , Da Bada Bing is the first business North of the tracks. It's directly across the street from the cab stand. I believe it was once called The Pub Car.

Last edited by GR8ACTR; 04-10-2009 at 10:21 PM..

Old 04-10-2009, 10:35 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,141,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GR8ACTR View Post
Lance , Da Bada Bing is the first business North of the tracks. It's directly across the street from the cab stand. I believe it was once called The Pub Car.
My bad,I just thought about it...you're right!That side of the tracks is PJV. 104 Main is the other side.North of tracks PJV,south of tracks PJS.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:39 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
There was the Polish immigrant ( his name escapes me ) who walked all around town , 24/7 , pushing a shopping cart , speaking ( English ? ) to anyone who cared , or didn't care , to listen to his ramblings . Remember him ? I eventually found out that , despite what you would assume , he was not poor but actually fairly well off !

Yes, I absolutely do remember him and when you mentioned it was able to recall exactly what he looked like. He called me "Momma". This was well over thirty years ago if he's the same person.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-11-2009, 01:23 PM

Yes , Nancy , that's him. He always called my mother Momma also. I wish I could remember his name. He owned a considerable chunk of acreage on .. Old Town Road .. I think it was. You could usually spot him around the Bohack/Woolworth/A&P shopping center.

If you recall him , I'm suprised you don't remember Mr. Cooper also.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:08 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
That is exactly where I remember him from. I heard that also, now that I think about it, about the money and all. I would see him all the time because my little boy and I lived in the Heatherwood apartments in the early seventies. He's thirty-six now.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-12-2009, 01:44 PM

592 posts, read 1,814,082 times
Hey, it all keeps suburbia from being so boring you could cry! Or....you could retire to FL in a nice safe gated community with your husband like I did and find an entirely different kind of hell!! Take me back to LI, pleeeeeezzzzzzzzeeee...!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island