Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 06:11 PM

44 posts, read 129,973 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about accepting a position at CA . Anyone have any good info on the company of late ?

I've heard rumors of layoffs often and long work hours ....

How is the commute from the Merrick/Bellmore area in the am ?

Does the LIRR stop nearby ? If I wanted to go to Islandia from Merrick ? Is that even possible ?

I heard that CA employees have the option of DayCare onsite ? Is this true ? Is it free ? Anyone ever use it ?

I'm in the IT field in NYC and looking to head east in the morning instead of west .....

Thanks !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 07:11 PM

327 posts, read 1,063,531 times
Haven't herd about them lately but from friends who worked there a few years ago... they will work you to death until your burn out. Not sure if its related Wang is having issues with the Islanders and the Lighthouse project.

If you are commuting on the train you would have to either drive to Hicksville and take the train to Central Islip or take the train to Jamaica and then transfer to Ronkonkoma branch.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:20 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Sack View Post
I am thinking about accepting a position at CA . Anyone have any good info on the company of late ?

I've heard rumors of layoffs often and long work hours ....
My daughter worked there for several years, until her entire department was eliminated and most of the work was outsourced. (She has since started her own company with an also laid off colleague from CA).
Job security does not exist anymore, except possibly in government jobs.
Depending on your job, for anything with "responsibility" 9-5 doesn't exist and I'd imagine IT is not a 9-5 job...

Quote:
How is the commute from the Merrick/Bellmore area in the am ?

Does the LIRR stop nearby ? If I wanted to go to Islandia from Merrick ? Is that even possible ?
It's close to the LIE, so driving is your best bet; traffic going East is still better than going West.

Quote:
I heard that CA employees have the option of DayCare onsite ? Is this true ? Is it free ? Anyone ever use it ?
Daycare is great! My daughter used it and loved it. Definitely Montessori influenced! The facility is excellent and the teachers seem carefully screened and all seem to enjoy their work. But no, it's not free. However, they have/had great benefits and you can pay with before tax dollars.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:23 PM

510 posts, read 2,206,055 times
A friend of the family is a sales manager there and loves it. I think it takes him 45 minutes to get there from Bellmore

Old 03-03-2009, 08:48 PM

44 posts, read 129,973 times
Outsourcing was probably the #1 reason I was a laid off from my previous job in NYC . Sad ....

Thanks for the feedback ....

Old 03-03-2009, 09:45 PM

674 posts, read 1,155,359 times
Hey, I used to work at CA about 15 years ago. It was my first job after school. I was single at that time, I had no problem working long hours. Plus when I worked there, I used to get my breakfast and dinner free. Plus I used to work out in the gym. Only thing they didn't give is a bed. Other wise, I would have moved there. :-)
The main reason I left CA was money, they were paying very low salary, I could not afford to work there.

Old 03-03-2009, 09:59 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Depending on your job, for anything with "responsibility" 9-5 doesn't exist and I'd imagine IT is not a 9-5 job...
Now you tell me. I was wondering what I was doing up at this hour.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:21 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Now you tell me. I was wondering what I was doing up at this hour.
I would have told you, if you'd asked

Old 03-04-2009, 06:31 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times
Benefits are great.

Supposedly they've eased up on the clock watching, but you still can't expect to work 9-5.

The salaries are relatively low.

Layoffs happen there like people change wardrobes and hairdos. One bad quarter and dozens of positions go, but that's nothing new. No job is safe in the private sector anymore.

Old 11-10-2009, 09:54 PM

2 posts, read 9,726 times
Believe me - you DON'T want to work there. With their two huge new office buildings in India, the goal is to get 100% of the IT work moved offshore, and whatever else they can ship over, and they are making tremendous strides in that direction. For this reason, layoffs in North America are continual and never-ending. Yes, they will work the life-blood out of you, then toss you aside like a used Kleenex. It's a dead end for any American. If you value your sanity and quality of life, I beg you to reconsider.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: