U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 09:41 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,583,076 times

Advertisements

Dear Citizens of Town of Brookhaven,

Guess what ?

The new year has brought us a new Town garbage carter AND new schedules.

I live in the Tyler Avenue, Miller Place NY area, and some of us HAVE NOT been notified of the changes !

Oh, it was online, BUT, in my wife's recollection, for the first time in 22 years, they haven't sent out the recycle or notice of the new garbage pick up days.

I understand that there are some problems in the Holbrook area.

I have corresponded to our Commissioner of Waste Management, and my Town Board representative, and it has been interesting

Please share your experience here !

Yours, Mike

ANYONE in the Town, NOT notified ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 10:51 AM

1,815 posts, read 4,721,226 times
I'm in RP and have not heard there were any changes. I thought perhaps I misplaced the recycling pickup sticker. Will have to go online to check!

Old 01-07-2009, 11:04 AM

lialleycat,

The ONLINE schedule for "what" has to be picked up is incorrect...today is "paper" NOT "cans", for example !

Untill they change it, just transpose "paper" for "cans", on the online schedule version.

I just notified the Commissioner, by personal email, about this..so who knows how long this will take to get fixed !

Most of the people on my street in Miller Place did not receive the schedule, so you can imagine how silly it is.

It's not that someone made a mistake, it's just that it happened during Christmas/ New Years week, when most of the year's debris occurs, that's annoying...at least to me !

Old 01-07-2009, 12:45 PM

Yeah, I have a Monday/Thursday pickup, so I lost out on my garbage pickup twice in the last two weeks. I had paper out as I remembered last week was cans and I didn't have a new schedule to go by. However, at the time I left this morning, the papers were still there. Let's see if they get picked up. I often have that problem living on a dead end street.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:04 PM

I live on a "paper street", so I understand your situation !

On the surrounding streets, it's been spotty, on who was notified and who was not.

I congratulated the Commissioner on negotiating a contract, that was screwed up BEFORE it was even fulfilled AND now, in getting my recycle schedule, I found that the online version, that was online for some time now, was NOT right to begin with !

They should be gone !

Old 01-07-2009, 02:27 PM

I almost wish they'd take away the garbage service and do like other places do. Each homeowner makes their own contract based on how much waste they have. If the service sucks, you go with someone else.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:08 PM

7,658 posts, read 16,218,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
Yeah, I have a Monday/Thursday pickup, so I lost out on my garbage pickup twice in the last two weeks. I had paper out as I remembered last week was cans and I didn't have a new schedule to go by. However, at the time I left this morning, the papers were still there. Let's see if they get picked up. I often have that problem living on a dead end street.

Plase call 451 town when this happens.

Ask for Waste Mgmt.

Theyll get on it Quick.

Maggios is making $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ off of TOB.

crooks

Old 01-07-2009, 04:01 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,006,769 times
Many older people & possibly immigrants do not have access to the internet . They should not rely upon this as a medium.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 01-07-2009, 04:27 PM

518 posts, read 1,540,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Many older people & possibly immigrants do not have access to the internet . They should not rely upon this as a medium.
not only that, but how many people regularly check their towns website?

Old 01-07-2009, 04:27 PM

187 posts, read 752,631 times
woo hoo! this is great news as I don't think my garbage collection could be ANY worse. I did wonder if something was up, because they would always come around 7:30am and this past tuesday I left the house at 9am and the garbage had not been collected.

This is great because for like over a year now the truck that came around had the loudest squealing brakes you've ever heard and it wakes up the whole house. Sounded like an air raid. On top of that god forbid I had 4 rolls of carpet padding at the curb on 'bulk' day. I was told the limit was 3 and if you put out more than that they won't take anything. And don't even think about putting a non broken down carboard box out there on recycle day.

Finally this could be the relief I've been hoping for!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island