Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2009, 04:51 AM

43 posts, read 156,952 times

Advertisements

I'm finally able to move after such a long time but have yet to find a home because I don't know what parts in long island to look in. I was thinking of westbury because of its diversity along with the stores and such. There's one home in particular that I would like to check out. Its in the carriage hill section of westbury on Marietta drive. Any of you guys familiar with this area? Please share your thoughts. thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2010, 07:30 PM

10 posts, read 26,679 times
Marietta Drive is centrally located and is right near Jericho Tpk and Ellison Ave. You are close to the Roosevelt Field Mall and have access to the NSP and the LIE. Quiet neighborhood.

Old 12-24-2010, 08:03 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,642 times
Just in case you didn't get my IM, here's some of my thoughts.
Unfortunately if you on the side east of Ellison Avenue, you will be in the Westbury School District. Its one of the worst on LI and is riddled with gang violence and low scores. The neighborhood you speak of isn't what I'd call "bad", the parts of Westbury that need to be avoided outright are anywhere south of the parkway and east of Post Ave (bordering New Cassel).
But even west of Post Avenue, there's some "flophouses" around, which are illegal rooming houses for day laborers. I've unfortunately seen a few not far from the nursery which is where you are looking at. Post Avenue itself has problems with illegal immigrants and gang activity, which is getting worse as new "money wiring services" pop up, a new one just opened on the corner of Belmont and Post (the dry cleaner was subdivided to make room for it). Definately not looking good for the future.
Its not a great situation for much of our village, because most families will avoid the schools, except for families with no standards (illegal immigrants) or those willing to spend for private schools (not many). The village has dragged their feet on addressing the problems, something as simple as shutting down the flophouses would go a long way to improving the neighborhood.
If you have the money I'd look at Carle Place or the part of Westbury that is in CP schools. Of course if you dont have kids, than the SD may be less of an issue.

Old 12-25-2010, 12:16 AM

372 posts, read 740,299 times
Nice area, I wouldn't mind living there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island