U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-12-2009, 06:02 AM

138 posts, read 157,584 times
Having lived in both North Babylon and West Babylon school districts in the past 5 years, I would strongly recommend West Babylon. I would just make sure you stay south of the southern state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-12-2009, 06:03 AM

7,658 posts, read 9,721,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
I think your the first person on this board to actually look at this issue objectively. There really is not much of a difference between North Babylon and many other similar school districts such as West Babylon, Deer Park, etc...Similar test scores, etc...

Also, how anyone can consider the people of North Babylon living in abject poverty is beyond me. North Babylon has a median income on par with most other places on Long Island. Look at the Long Island index maps that Walter Greenspan provided.

Again, I will restate my question from earlier. If North Babylon schools had Academic Statistics like Commack, Kings Park or West Isllip would your feelings about this area change?

I think there are people living in Wyandanch that are living in abject poverty.
If you want to deny the fact that Wyandanch has spilled in to North and West Babylon. I think youd be less than truthful.

Now, with the free lunch %ages posted to the board earlier.
I wouldnt be comfortable in a SD where 1 in 4 kids are poor,and living on the border of a deeply troubled community.
Although Copiague and Amityville are no picnic....it seems like Lindenhurst may be a better pick for that area.

Back to your earlier question....IF NB = WI in academics.
Id still prefer WI because its on the Shore.

crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 01-12-2009 at 06:12 AM..

Unread 01-12-2009, 06:41 AM

153 posts, read 221,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Thankfully, most of these debates can be solved by the extremely large amount of information available on the internet pertaining to schools, their students, their test scores and their atmosphere.

West Babylon students eligible for free lunch: 22%
North Babylon students eligible for free lunch: 20%

The amount of "abject poverty" seems pretty comparable to me...

NY State Report Card - North Babylon UFSD (https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/District.do?year=2007&county=SUFFOLK&district=5801 03030000 - broken link)
NY State Report Card - West Babylon UFSD (https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/District.do?year=2007&county=SUFFOLK&district=5801 02030000 - broken link)

Not a whole lot of difference there either....both are ranked fairly low for LI, but not so low that they would be considered "bad" schools. If I had kids, which I don't, I seriously doubt I would have any worries about sending them to either district.

I wouldn't put too many eggs into the free lunch basket. Those stats are not just free lunch, it's a combination of free and reduced price eligible if that matters.

The free lunch program is a cash cow for school districts, any administrator worth their salt is promoting the program, maximizing their school's funding. Newsday article below touches on it.

school lunch, public schools, nutrition, food -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/investigations/ny-schoollunch-lifree26,0,1612466.story - broken link)

Unread 01-12-2009, 08:24 AM

381 posts, read 566,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbogirl View Post
Last year I took a look at a few houses in Belmont estates the area right across from the park, I believe the street was called Genoa ct. I drove around the immediate area at the time I didn't notice anything strange, actually I was impress with how well most of the homes were well kept for a diverse area. Eventually I ended up not buying the house b/c I wanted to continue to save for a down payment. I was somewhat concern with the proximity to Wyandanch but like I said I thought the area of Belmont estates didn't look bad at all. The Realtor told me the area was zoned for N. Babylon schools. I might take another look when I am ready to buy again which would probably be this year.
Again, looks can be deceiving............

There is a boarded up former crack den on Barclay St between Brooklyn and Lamont Pl

Genoa is a cut through used from Belmont Ave/Mount Ave to get to Straight Path (people use it to get to Centerwood St)

I suggest you find a warm summer/spring night and drive around the area, particularly to the west of Brooklyn and maybe spend a few nights looking at the track. Really pay attention to what's going on. You'll see a couple young guys with dogs.. innocent enough, but they're pit bulls not on leashes and if the dogs chase you or your car? They'll laugh. They're not really "walking their dogs" either. They're dealing. Wait until it starts getting dark and sit in the neighborhood for a bit. Or those 2 groups of young adult males? They're gang members that use the field for fights...........

I've lived in pretty rough areas before but that area scared the ever living crap out of me...........

Unread 01-26-2009, 12:24 PM

1 posts, read 4,315 times
I went to see a home in W Babylon, right off Belmont Ave, near the elementary school, can anyone advise on the area? I have a 18mth old... looking for decent area, good school. Please help! I'm from Nassau County.

Unread 01-26-2009, 05:25 PM

745 posts, read 644,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
It is unfortunate that so many Long Islanders are still trapped in a mental state of thinly veiled racism, whether consciously or not, that prompts them to steer people to what they think are "the better" neighborhoods and schools.

It is no accident that Long Island is one of the most highly segregated places in America. Although that is rapidly changing. Remember Whites are now a minority in the New York combined metropolitan statistical region.

The irony of all this is as many Long Islanders who go South to North Carolina and elsewhere are somewhat shocked to find that their beautiful new home in that wonderful neighborhood is also inhabited by African-Americans and other non-White Americans. The same goes for the schools in the South which are often pretty well mixed between Whites and Blacks.

Some of us may be doing a huge dis-service to our children by not exposing them to diversity during their formative years. How will we expect our kids to function in the future in a increasingly diverse America.

Did you ever stop to think that maybe the kids going to a diverse school today will be better prepared for the real world of tomorrow. Perhaps it will be a distinct advantage. The disadvantaged kids will be those who went to cloistered homogeneous schools.

America has changed and is changing.

In a few days Barack Obama will be president. Before the year 2020 Whites will be a minority in New York State. By 2042 (according to the Census) Whites will be a minority in the United States.

I don't think Crooks was saying to stay away from that area because of the school's diversity. I think it is common sense that if you're buying a house you don't want to be near Wyandanch.

Unread 02-01-2009, 03:24 AM

137 posts, read 263,772 times
How about the areas south of the southern state, between Little East Neck Road and Belmont Park?Any opinions on this area?thanks

Unread 02-03-2009, 07:12 PM

12,245 posts, read 15,330,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariaMMR View Post
I went to see a home in W Babylon, right off Belmont Ave, near the elementary school, can anyone advise on the area? I have a 18mth old... looking for decent area, good school. Please help! I'm from Nassau County.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Zing View Post
How about the areas south of the southern state, between Little East Neck Road and Belmont Park?Any opinions on this area?thanks
This area is fine. I grew up there, attended Belmont Elementary School and my dad just (in Fall, 2007) sold the house we grew up in. Good family area. Southern State Parkway provides a physical separation from both Wyandanch and the "bad NB/WB area" described by cottercutie, above.

Just so as to avoid any zip code confusion...our mailing address was West Babylon, 11704. We lived right across from Belmont Elementary School, which has always (since inception in 1958) been a North Babylon School, paid for by North Babylon taxpayers, but also contains a mailing address of West Babylon, 11704. Don't let anybody tell you that that area is, or ever has been, West Babylon. The mail simply goes there because the W Babylon post office is closer than the N. Babylon one. Little East Neck Road is the border between that area of N Babylon and W Babylon. Children living east of Little East Neck Road go to N. Babylon schools.

Unread 03-09-2009, 08:39 AM

2 posts, read 5,934 times
Excuse me all of you racist people. I cannot believe what I have read in these posts. I'm glad you're all "so scared" of us black people (according to people's posts) because I wouldn't want your negative minds around us anyway. You all have so much to say about things you don't even understand or live by. We are people too, we see what is going on in our neighborhoods and strive to fix it. You can just make detours around us but don't think about coming through our neighborhood especially if that's what you think about us.
I mean what the hell is this about, let me quote what you guys have said,
-"The irony of all this is as many Long Islanders who go South to North Carolina and elsewhere are somewhat shocked to find that their beautiful new home in that wonderful neighborhood is also inhabited by African-Americans and other non-White Americans." (that speaks for itself and it's a horrible thing to say)
-"I would just make sure you stay south of the southern state." (because that's where us black people are located)
-"In a few days Barack Obama will be president. Before the year 2020 Whites will be a minority in New York State. By 2042 (according to the Census) Whites will be a minority in the United States." (I'm sorry but what is wrong with Barack Obama being president, it is time for CHANGE!)
-"They're not really "walking their dogs" either. They're dealing." (yup because young black men don't have the right to walk their dogs in their on neighborhood at any time of the day. I guess that's what people when I walk my dog too. When I walk my chihuahua, that's what you think? I'm on my way to some heist?)
-"There is a boarded up former crack den on Barclay St between Brooklyn and Lamont P" (that is a vacant house, it's just that a v-a-c-a-n-t h-o-u-s-e. You make a vancant house into a crack den? Sometimes people leave houses and no one is left to buy them. Then they are boarded. No I dont like the way it makes a neighborhood look but we don't have any crack dens. I dont know who you think we are but you have the wrong idea and it's sad)
I feel like I stepped in the middle of a KKK rally. How dare all of you think you are better than us because the way our neighborhoods look. You do not know us. Such asinine comments...
I don't understand why Barack Obama being elected is a problem or what children get free lunches at school. This is why sometimes I don't even start up a conversation with people of other races because you judge us so quickly. You think we are poverty stricken and ignorant but that's because you are really the ignorant one's judging a book by the cover.

Unread 03-09-2009, 08:57 AM

381 posts, read 566,223 times
I lived in the neighborhood, I watched the drug deals go down at the track during the day. I watched the GANG activity. I personally spoke with numerous police officers who confirmed said activity and watched them make arrests one afternoon last spring. These weren't the neighborhood folks out walking the track at 5pm. I know for a fact that the house boarded up that WAS a crack den. I lived there, I saw it, the neighbors saw it. Otherwise the police wouldn't have raided it.

It has nothing to do with "black" it has to do with crime and poverty. I am not "scared" of anyone because of color. And, one of the biggest eyesores in that neighborhood happens to be owned and lived in by *gasp* WHITE people! And how dare you even assume what color I am or what color anyone else on here is??? Wouldn't that also be "judging a book by it's cover"??? How hypocritical of you.

The fact that you come here and pick and choose what you want to read makes you Moderator cut: .. , not skin color or income level or neighborhood. Or, maybe you are just more comfortable turning your eyes away from the crime in your own back yard because you don't want to admit it.

And frankly I don't care about free lunches or Barack Obama or 2042 or the south.

Last edited by Keeper; 03-09-2009 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: please.. no need to call ppl ignorant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island