Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2009, 09:50 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,599,094 times

Advertisements

Has anyone used one of those PODS as a moving option when you can't move directly from Home A to Home B? In other words have you loaded your things into a POD at Home A, had the filled POD taken to a temporary Home B where it must sit for, say, a month or two, then added more things to the POD and had it moved to your final destination of Home C?

I'm entirely clueless about PODS and am wondering if they are just intended for on-site storage rather than a moving option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 09:41 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,140,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
Has anyone used one of those PODS as a moving option when you can't move directly from Home A to Home B? In other words have you loaded your things into a POD at Home A, had the filled POD taken to a temporary Home B where it must sit for, say, a month or two, then added more things to the POD and had it moved to your final destination of Home C?

I'm entirely clueless about PODS and am wondering if they are just intended for on-site storage rather than a moving option.
"Portable On Demand Storage" is flexible in terms of where to store the container. Some people have it sitting in their driveway, others have the company store it at their location and then shipped to the new address--your choice. Go to their website (just google PODS and it's right there!) and you'll get answers to most if not all your questions :-)

I have no personal experience with the company, but know people who've been satisfied.

Old 01-10-2009, 11:16 PM

119 posts, read 451,798 times
There was a thread about PODS a while ago Pods

Old 01-11-2009, 07:00 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,599,094 times
Thanks so much for the thread link. I was glad to see that it included prices. I'm sure the price would be more if the POD had to be moved more than one though (because it needs to be loaded up at 2 locations rather than just one, before going to the "unloading" house).

The two smaller sizes woon't be big enough, though. Not even sure about the largest (8x8x16). We have a pantry room here that is 6x15 (8' ceiling) which isn't that much smaller than the biggest POD, and there's no way that my all my nephew's (he's the one moving) apartment furniture PLUS the pieces that he needs to also move from our house, could be crammed into that room.

In just his apartment he has a queen sleigh-bed, two dressers, two nightstands, double bed, kitchen table/4 chairs, fullsize sofa, recliner, coffee table, 3 end tables, HUGE tv entertainment unit, bigscreen tv, a Bowflex, a weight set, and a big elliptical trainer. From our house he also has to remove a dresser and mirror, another bigscreen tv, a fullsize sofa, a loveseat, a recliner, a big leather wing chair, another table/4 chairs, and a coffee table. And most of those tables of various sorts are or contain glass. I'd be nervous about even professional movers being able to shift all that stuff without damage and pack it into a van.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:11 AM

406 posts, read 1,450,532 times
We used a pod when we moved up here two years ago. The key is to pack it to the rafters so no movement can occur while the pod is being moved. It was a painless experience, they came when we called both times and nothing broke! Again, the key is how YOU pack the thing, understandably they are not responsible if anything breaks. I would use them again in a heartbeat.

Old 01-11-2009, 03:32 PM

64 posts, read 234,215 times
We used PODS when we moved. We had to use two 12' Pods, and we packed them to the rafters. The company picked them up when full, took them to their storage facility on Long Island for a while (we didn't move as soon as we thought we would) and then trucked them to our new location. Since we had to wait to move into a new home, PODS stored them again and then brought the pods to us when we were ready.
They seem to hold quite a bit, but if you call PODS, the representative there can give you an estimate of what they will hold and how much it will cost. By the way, the smallest POD isn't rented for moving only the 12' POD.
We would use them again.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:22 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,537,813 times
I have used them without incident................

Old 04-17-2009, 10:34 AM

13 posts, read 81,638 times
Pods can surely be used to move from point A to B. That being said, it sounds like you have a lot of stuff, so packing a pod, yourself, effectively, may be a challenge.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:33 PM

863 posts, read 2,107,200 times
You guys have answered question about the company. Cost is my main concern. I know it's cheaper to use a storage place, however I am not sure we will be able to move into the new home right away, so cost is a convern to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island