Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2009, 09:48 AM

162 posts, read 734,674 times

Advertisements

So my husband got a promotion to NC. We are looking at Chapel Hill NC since the schools are the best in the state. We have a gifted child who needs a real gifted program (not a pull out 1 a week). Ch schools offer this program & along with it come taxes which are as high as they are here (bigger house though) Anyway, I am having serious intrepedations about this move as far as it being the right thing to do. We have a tiny home, 1 bathroom & pay over $7,000 in taxes now. However we have lovely neighbors, good schools (minus the gifted program), & a feeling of safety where we are. There is no looking back now we just have to sell our house (good luck huh?) anyway all this was leading up to the question...anyone here move to NC & love/hate it & why? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 10:06 AM

249 posts, read 514,766 times
You're asking your question in the wrong forum. Go to the N.C. forum and i'm sure you'll get a lot of help. Good luck in your move.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:12 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Disneyfans View Post
So my husband got a promotion to NC. We are looking at Chapel Hill NC since the schools are the best in the state. We have a gifted child who needs a real gifted program (not a pull out 1 a week). Ch schools offer this program & along with it come taxes which are as high as they are here (bigger house though) Anyway, I am having serious intrepedations about this move as far as it being the right thing to do. We have a tiny home, 1 bathroom & pay over $7,000 in taxes now. However we have lovely neighbors, good schools (minus the gifted program), & a feeling of safety where we are. There is no looking back now we just have to sell our house (good luck huh?) anyway all this was leading up to the question...anyone here move to NC & love/hate it & why? Thanks
Heavy things to consider and sounds as though you have already started the ball rolling south, so go with it. I know NYS has some of the best schooling so finding comparable in NC may take some work. Private/magnet/ seem to offer the best for gifted so if it's in your monetary ballpark, I'd investigate those schools first.

(I could start a rant on how the NCLB program has killed gifted programs in public schools across the country but I won't!)

That said, go to the NC/Raleigh area forum and you will be welcomed warmly I'm sure...good luck

Old 01-02-2009, 10:15 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5Disneyfans View Post
Yes, go to the NC forums and be persistent. You'll hear both sides of it..how great it is and what a mistake it was. Expect it to be much cheaper than LI, don't expect life to be the same. I would take at least a week to go down there and get a "feel" for it, maybe even rent the first year or so to make sure it's what you want to do.

Old 01-02-2009, 10:19 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
If you can handle the fact that you will be leaving behind family here on LI you will be just fine. 90% of the people who leave and come back say it was due to family.
Good luck!
By the way good pick with Capel Hill!

Old 01-02-2009, 10:20 AM

Thanks, I have been on the NC board & posting some questions. I just wanted to get a feel from any fellow NY'ers that moved & what they thought.

Renting is not an option as my husbands company moves us. There is an incentive to buy not to rent from his company. We have been down 3 times & I just keep comparing it with LI (since thats all I know).

Thanks!

Last edited by 5Disneyfans; 01-02-2009 at 10:29 AM..

Old 01-02-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
If you can handle the fact that you will be leaving behind family here on LI you will be just fine. 90% of the people who leave and come back say it was due to family.
Good luck!
By the way good pick with Capel Hill!
No family is not an issue. It's just me, my husband & our kids.
Thank you

Old 01-06-2009, 06:46 PM

6 posts, read 10,993 times
I can help you as I have moved from LI to Chapel Hill and had to leave Chapel Hill for Chicago 2 years later. I can honestly tell you that we loved Chapel Hill and are looking to move back. It was the best 2 years of our life and cannot wait to get back down there. We were considering the move back to LI as well so we just spent three weeks over the holidays on LI. We ruled it out and are eager to get back to Chapel Hill. Smart people, diverse, liberal, great shopping and restaurants, natural beauty, great for getting in shape, and great schools. I have to tell you from experience that the grass is always greener, but for us, we love Chapel Hill. Plus, it is good to get out of NEW for a while even if you do go back!!

Old 01-15-2009, 07:50 AM

14 posts, read 45,999 times
Hi there,

I completed a MS at UNC Chapel Hill and loved the area. Now I'm in park slope here in Brooklyn and of course love that also. I think that you will really enjoy the Chapel Hill/reseach triangle area. It is one of the most educated areas in the country, and has lots of little mom & pop restaurants and stores, tons of great used book stores, really a lot like NYC in that - only on a much smaller scale of course. Chapel Hill was my first adventure in completely non-mall Christmas shopping and what fun!!

As for the schools, I interned as a speech patholoy student. They are great, and particularly for students with special needs. Case loads (for speech therapists at least) are kept much smaller and more managable than any other place that I have been by far. Parents locate to Chapel Hill from around the country just to access these programs. I also had a classmate in my MS prog. who had grown up in Chapel Hill with a learning disability and she thought that it had been a great place for her.

Chapel Hill is also farily liberal, especially for the South, if that is important to you. Jessie Helms is famous for saying that NC didn't need a state zoo, they just needed to fence in UNC Chapel Hill!! (one of the best public schools in the country - a public ivy league - and a truly lovely campus.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island