U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 08:22 AM

10 posts, read 65,441 times

Advertisements

I bought (closed on) my first home last month. The $950 fee is pretty good, because all the lawyers I talked to charged between $1100 and $1300! That was in Suffolk, by the way.

I picked a lawyer when I first started looking for a house 8 months ago because I knew I'd need one as soon as a seller accepted my offer.

Everyone gets the house inspected before contract. That way if something bad shows up you know right away whether you want the house, or if the seller is willing to either fix the problem or reduce the price, without having had to take money out of your bank account for the down payment (you have to give them like 10% of the price when you sign the contract).

I just re-read your post and saw you said the house is a short sale. Has anyone explained to you what that is???? I was warned by my lawyer and my real estate agent and several people I work with to stay away from a short sale because they are usually a nightmare even though they can be cheaper to buy! Your money can be tied up for months waiting for their bank to decide whether they want to sell the house to you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 12:19 PM

2,939 posts, read 5,711,558 times
$950 is about right for a real estate lawyer.

The reason that homes are inspected before contract is that if you find problems it will give you a chance to renegotiate or get out.

Please check my other posts about short sales before you spend any money whatsoever.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:24 AM

10 posts, read 26,021 times
Thumbs up Re:

I give you link i think its very helpful for you
-------------------------------
Personal Injury Lawyers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island