U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 07:32 PM

13,395 posts, read 14,548,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
My guess...

1)Ugly assed Dutch Colonial in University Heights
LMAO! You mean you don't find all those DC's breathtaking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 07:46 PM

7,658 posts, read 10,166,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
LMAO! You mean you don't find all those DC's breathtaking?

Stunnning....theyre even hotter when packed with 30 foreign College students.

crooks

Old 01-16-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Stunnning....theyre even hotter when packed with 30 foreign College students.

crooks
Only 30? From the number of cars out front of them, I would swear there were at least 40

I would love to buy one and become a University slumlord.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
Nope. Eton Colonial in S section.

ETA: It needs some updating but you could live there while renovating.

C'mon...I was close, is it on the Circle?

BTW what the hell is an Eton Colonial?
I've lived in them in them all and they are all pretty Milquetoast but homey.

Heres the models ...you have 2 Devon L-Ranches,the Framingham Farm Ranch, the Stathmore Cape (that you can Ski off the Roof)and the Colonial. I was unaware of the special Eton model.

Of the Sections the M and the S were always the most blue collar.
I had alot of fun there as a kid.The H and B were always hoity toity.

: )

crooks

Old 01-16-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Only 30? From the number of cars out front of them, I would swear there were at least 40

I would love to buy one and become a University slumlord.
Every town has its armpit.

crooks

Old 01-16-2009, 08:46 PM

745 posts, read 684,389 times
Quote:
C'mon...I was close, is it on the Circle?

BTW what the hell is an Eton Colonial?
I've lived in them in them all and they are all pretty Milquetoast but homey.

Heres the models ...you have 2 Devon L-Ranches,the Framingham Farm Ranch, the Stathmore Cape (that you can Ski off the Roof)and the Colonial. I was unaware of the special Eton model.

Of the Sections the M and the S were always the most blue collar.
I had alot of fun there as a kid.The H and B were always hoity toity.

: )

crooks
Looks like it is on Sycamore circle. I don't mind blue collar areas, better chance other kids will be there during the summer, rather than sleep away camps or daycares. I love Stony Brook for the diversity, and of course, 3V schools. Buying that house for 399k is better than ending up in "South Setauket" Still looking though, we're not sure about staying on the island.

Old 01-16-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Looks like it is on Sycamore circle. I don't mind blue collar areas, better chance other kids will be there during the summer, rather than sleep away camps or daycares. I love Stony Brook for the diversity, and of course, 3V schools. Buying that house for 399k is better than ending up in "South Setauket" Still looking though, we're not sure about staying on the island.
S Section is an excellent choice for all the reasons you listed, particularly the diversity of the district.

I loved 3V back in the day but sadly most of what we had there is gone.
Most of the working class families left a while back.

We didnt want to play "Keeping up with the Joneses/Schwartzes" etc.
Thats why we moved out to Rocky Point and never regretted it for a moment.

Were a six figure family but I didnt want my kid to like the poor kid once he got to Ward Melville.
3V is a very affluent area that has changed greatly since the 80s. Strathmore will always be its Levittown.

Best of luck in your search.

crooks

Old 01-16-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
It is on Sycamore Circle and backs the Fire House.

Expanding on crooks, the "S" section is now more hoity-toity than the H & B. Most children in the 3V area disappear in the summer -- no matter what part of the district you're in. So many households have two wage earners and they have to do something about the children come summer.

Most of the children in my youngest's age group attend day camp. Given the state of the economy, it will be interesting to see how many more children are home this summer.

Old 01-16-2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
It is on Sycamore Circle and backs the Fire House.

Expanding on crooks, the "S" section is now more hoity-toity than the H & B. Most children in the 3V area disappear in the summer -- no matter what part of the district you're in. So many households have two wage earners and they have to do something about the children come summer.

Most of the children in my youngest's age group attend day camp. Given the state of the economy, it will be interesting to see how many more children are home this summer.

I cant believe the S went Hoity Toity....oh how the mighty have fallen.
H was the bomb back in the day, followed by B,P,S,O then M.

We have many SAHMs in Rocky Point plus I see the local kids working at McCarricks and the Sea Basin or Lifeguarding at the beach in the summer.
Believe it or not, thats the kind of stuff that sold us on this area.

When I was a kid(God I sound old) in 3v we were the dishwashers, landscapers, busboys and clerks. I dont think that's the case anymore.

I do envy the diversity of the 3v area (but not the pricetag)
I was exposed to alot of different cultures as a kid since SUNY was my backyard and Im grateful for that experience.

crooks

Old 01-16-2009, 10:28 PM

Hubby's 3V experience (in the 70's) was more along the lines of your experience.

We rented in RP for several years and I did the SAHM thing part of the time there. There certainly were hordes of children in the area. I would leave to walk to McCarrick's, pushing the baby stroller and I would end up with at least 6 children tagging along.

The kids who are the dishwashers, busboys and clerks are the children who live in the less wealthy parts of the 3V's. One of my son's friend's parents was amazed to see my son mowing the lawn.

From the diversity/experience standpoint, yes, there are certainly a great deal of cultures to expose children to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island