Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 09:45 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,701,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smalltownusa View Post
Sorry, no help with this OP's dilemma because my only fix is to move south and hope to do just that in 2-3 years.....this winter especially started hard and has been so cold and snowy that it takes a lot to keep my mood stable

My dog dislikes it too....out the door and back in record time

Counting the days until spring break on Mrytle Beach....about the only thing that keeps me moving along on these frigid, subzero temps NY has been dealing for the last 5 days
I noticed for about 5 yrs now each winter has become harder for me to take. I don't even like the fall and watching everything die. The disgusting thin air which causes me to get allergies. Oh and let us not forget no sun for about 6 months. Some ppl love 4 seasons, I only like 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 12:45 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,670,127 times
Default Things to do on Lawn Guyland

Here are two sites that offer weekly eMail newsletters: LongIsland.com and About Long Island NY, and, here's what could be the best site: Long Island Convention & Visitors Bureau and Sports Commission.

Old 01-18-2009, 01:11 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,599,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
I noticed for about 5 yrs now each winter has become harder for me to take. I don't even like the fall and watching everything die. The disgusting thin air which causes me to get allergies. Oh and let us not forget no sun for about 6 months. Some ppl love 4 seasons, I only like 1.
We do like the four seasons as long as the winters aren't horrendous. IMHO our usual Long Island winter is really not that bad because the only really bad months are January and February. Even then we normally get cold "snaps" rather than consistent subfreezing temperates. What we get here is essentially a Freeze/Thaw Cycle.

I was telling SO just yesterday that it's days like these that give me a wakeup call reminder about how utterly ridiculous it was for me to even consider (as I did briefly a couple of years ago) relocating to either Connecticut or Massachusetts. I was having a whine-fest about even just the one day or so of cold, and not even any serious snow to speak of!

Climate-wise I truly consider LI to be the best of all possible worlds: four true seasons with no long stretches of extremes in either summer or winter. Can't say that for either the south or any states north of here! (not even upstate NY)

Old 01-18-2009, 02:34 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,653,377 times
Default If I didn't have to work in the winters,

Quote:
I got an idea: let's house swap! You take NY and I'll take Florida in the winter

I would reach my own eureka if I EVER claimed too much sun was unwanted! I live for sunshine and the darkness of NY winters wears my old wheels to the rim
I might take you up on it. I work in the schools so I am off all summer, but that is when I hibernate. South Florida summers are brutal with 90+ daily and heat indexes over 100. Not fun, especially for somebody who hates summer. I was born and raised in Manhattan so maybe that is why I have always hated summer, even as child. My comfort zone is 30s to 60s. I am definitely not cut out for Florida, even as a Senior.

Old 01-18-2009, 03:34 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,245 times
TANaples posts:I might take you up on it. I work in the schools so I am off all summer, but that is when I hibernate. South Florida summers are brutal with 90+ daily and heat indexes over 100. Not fun, especially for somebody who hates summer. I was born and raised in Manhattan so maybe that is why I have always hated summer, even as child. My comfort zone is 30s to 60s. I am definitely not cut out for Florida, even as a Senior.

School employee here myself! And I know enough folks who have lived, visited, passed through FL. in the summer and tell me the heat is brutal but on the flip side, this latest cold snap has gotten to me in ways that a heatwave never has

As any snowbird knows, (who, in this economy, may go the way of the Hummer), ideally, it's NY and the like for summer and the South/Southwest for the winters

The gypsy in me may just go that route and become a bohemian traveler about the countryside someday....

Old 01-18-2009, 04:05 PM

745 posts, read 1,504,298 times
I can't stand the cold either. I have been doing new crafts. Knitting (disaster), sewing. I crocheted a baby blanket for my SIL who is due any minute.

I've been exercising a lot more too. It gets the extra energy out

Old 01-18-2009, 07:05 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,653,377 times
Default I've been here in NY since Friday

Quote:
TANaples posts:I might take you up on it. I work in the schools so I am off all summer, but that is when I hibernate. South Florida summers are brutal with 90+ daily and heat indexes over 100. Not fun, especially for somebody who hates summer. I was born and raised in Manhattan so maybe that is why I have always hated summer, even as child. My comfort zone is 30s to 60s. I am definitely not cut out for Florida, even as a Senior.

School employee here myself! And I know enough folks who have lived, visited, passed through FL. in the summer and tell me the heat is brutal but on the flip side, this latest cold snap has gotten to me in ways that a heatwave never has

As any snowbird knows, (who, in this economy, may go the way of the Hummer), ideally, it's NY and the like for summer and the South/Southwest for the winters

The gypsy in me may just go that route and become a bohemian traveler about the countryside someday....
when it's been in the single digits and snowed today. I like it, athough the 30s and snow was better.

I don't even like the "winter" of 70s in Florida. That is too much like summer for me.

To each his own I suppose. I lived with NY winters for 57 years and it never bothered me. We only moved to Florida because of circumstances, not because we wanted to.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:20 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arron View Post
Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine style Ale never lets me down..

But can you say that three times fast after having consumed a few pints?

Old 01-19-2009, 12:48 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,699,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Yes, the monster truck show is one event we plan on attending OhBeehave. Chuckee Cheese's is getting played out, but the kids still love it. The mall playground is a good place to let the little ones get rid of excess energy. So I will have to think of some more indoor child related things to do.
Any more suggestions?
Do you mind if I ask the age range?

The local libraries usually have reading hours which gets everyone out of the house -- even if it's only a little while, it's better than looking at the same 4 walls and listening to bickering. Plus it's budget friendly.

I picked up a pair of Mashoonga bats for $12 or $15 at BJs before the holidays. The kids head into the basement and proceed to have Mashoonga fights (they are long, foam and colorful -- not painful) Usually there's lots of laughing and ultimately when I poke my head into the room, I end up getting phwumped as they gang up on me. My children are in HS and elementary school -- despite the age difference, they have a ball with these things. My daughter's friends come over and they are all nuts running around having Mashoonga duels.

We do indoor weenie roasts and indoor s'mores using the fireplace. We have had silly dance off parties to burn off the marshmallows.

We've made our own play doh, have bought some science kits and have done random age appropriate experiments. I've cleaned some experiments off the kitchen ceiling, so make sure that the mad scientists are very careful measuring!

Set up indoor picnics with their playmates, have lunch and play board games.

Go and visit a favorite outdoor place in the winter (I know you don't care for the cold, but the kids get a real kick out of seeing the park or the beach covered in snow and ice.)

There's indoor ice skating in Port Jefferson Village. It has been a very long time, but there was an ice rink in Newbridge Road (Merrick?) which was indoors. I spent many hours there (some on my tushie) as a kid.

Roller skating -- we used to go to the Levittown rink, until the opened USA Skate on Hicksville Rd in Seaford (some people say Massapequa -- Walter can give us the maps to show why) I regret that I have never taken my children rollerskating

I hope I haven't given you many things you have already done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island