Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 12:44 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,032,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi80 View Post
I'm just on the first page of posts right now, but I would like to mention the schools. Always want an increase every year and if they don't get it, they take away from the children. I think is horrible.
Who takes what away from whom?

Old 01-20-2009, 12:50 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Who takes what away from whom?
They mean that when the budget comes up for vote by the public, there are certain sacred things that do not come up in the vote such as salaries and benefits of the people that work for the school district. The things that do come up in the vote affect the children. So if you vote against the school budget you are taking away from the children while the administrators, unions, etc., have it set up so that nothing is ever taken away from them in terms of salaries and benefits. They have "theirs" all wrapped up because the public is not allowed to vote on what they get. Plus, they get what they want FIRST (ex.: not having to contribute even a penny to health benefits like the rest of the working world does, etc.) and the children of the school district get the leftovers.

Old 01-20-2009, 12:51 PM

20,042 posts, read 20,844,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
You are contradicting yourself here. In the context of what a starter home costs, $100K is not a "lot of money," it's not even a liveable wage if someone aspires to buy their own home, is it?

How the hell am I affording my house and bills, a wife, 2 kids, and a black labrador on way less than 100K a year? Did I miss a memo?

Old 01-20-2009, 12:59 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,702,203 times
Quote:
Really?

I can't deny that some are, but most are not. I happen to know quite a few teachers, since I'm married to one and she has a lot of friends at school.

As for the cops, their wives are in a much better position to be "princesses", because by the time hubby is on the job for 5 years, they most likely will not have to work full time, if at all. Most cops are making $40K more than my wife is (10 years in) after 5 years if they work any overtime, and they are scheduled to work just as few days as a teacher, so overtime is easy to come by.

As for it being PC to talk trash about teachers..I hear it all the time from people all over the island..what are you talking about? People are much more "afraid" to bash cops because they fear retribution..tickets, etc.

Yea really. Teaching on the Island has become so lucrative you can only get into the jappy circle by knowing people. If not you are going to work in the city, where like the NYPD you won't make nearly as much and have to deal with much tougher students.

There are teachers who are making six figures you know. My friend does accounting for Suffolk County and is absolutely floored by what teachers make. Its outrageous. They work about 6 months out of the year too. Not a bad gig.

The cops do and should get paid more then teachers. However what they are getting paid is absurd. They milk that hero crap pretty well. Of course fear is another reason because if they have to give up their mercedes to make living life on LI more affordable your up the crapper.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
They mean that when the budget comes up for vote by the public, there are certain sacred things that do not come up in the vote such as salaries and benefits of the people that work for the school district. The things that do come up in the vote affect the children. So if you vote against the school budget you are taking away from the children while the administrators, unions, etc., have it set up so that nothing is ever taken away from them in terms of salaries and benefits. They have "theirs" all wrapped up because the public is not allowed to vote on what they get. Plus, they get what they want FIRST (ex.: not having to contribute even a penny to health benefits like the rest of the working world does, etc.) and the children of the school district get the leftovers.

If you don't like what teachers are paid, you need to go to the school board. If the school board doesn't give you the contract you like, then you vote out the board for one that will fight to cut salaries and benis. The answer is not voting against school budgets every year. I can't believe more people haven't figured this out.

Do you think we should have a situation where every time the Senior Citizens get their panties in a bunch, teachers should be laid off? That's pretty much what you want with the school budgets....a " no" vote equals hacking away at salaries. What kind of an environment would that create? I'm angry about how high SCPD salaries are, but I don't think we should fire half of the police force because of it?

My wife is a teacher, and the amount we pay into our insurance has doubled since she started 8 years ago, so who isn't giving back?

It's amazing how much inaccurate information is floating around in peoples heads on LI.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
So one income is the Meat and potatoes, and the other is the gravy.
Ha, I have neither. I think I might have an appetizer and a small coke.
Where are you looking to move to? Be careful and make sure there are jobs there. For example, I hear in the fabled North Carolina that everyone wants to move to, 150+ people will routinely show up for a $10.50 an hour no benefits job that is advertised in the newspaper. The people for whom relocating to places like NC works out best are those who own a home in a more expensive part of the country and can sell it and pay CASH or close to it for a home in NC or another of the low cost meccas. Then since their largest monthly expense (paying for a place to live) is $0 or close to it they can afford the piddling salaries or can afford to be un- or under-employed, unlike those who didn't make a huge profit on selling a home elsewhere and have to pay each month to keep a roof over their head.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:05 PM

20,042 posts, read 20,844,919 times
I think everyone on LI making over 100K a year should send me 25 bucks right now!
LOL

Old 01-20-2009, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
How the hell am I affording my house and bills, a wife, 2 kids, and a black labrador on way less than 100K a year? Did I miss a memo?
I don't know. I guess you bought your home pre-housing bubble when middle class homes still were priced in line with what the middle class earns.

On way less than 100K a year, I wanna see you qualify for a (non-LIAR) mortgage for a starter home on Long Island. Plus make sure you have a decent downpayment (at least 10%) and all the closing costs ready in cash.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
Yea really. Teaching on the Island has become so lucrative you can only get into the jappy circle by knowing people. If not you are going to work in the city, where like the NYPD you won't make nearly as much and have to deal with much tougher students.

There are teachers who are making six figures you know. My friend does accounting for Suffolk County and is absolutely floored by what teachers make. Its outrageous. They work about 6 months out of the year too. Not a bad gig.

The cops do and should get paid more then teachers. However what they are getting paid is absurd. They milk that hero crap pretty well. Of course fear is another reason because if they have to give up their mercedes to make living life on LI more affordable your up the crapper.

SCPD is scheduled to work a couple of days more than a teacher per year. Start at 57K, 98K base in 5 years, High school Diploma is the only qualification. Overtime is in abundance, most are making well over 100K for most of their careers, retire in 20 years with 50% of last 3 years salary. They pay nothing into medical.

Teachers need 6 years of school. You usually don't get close to 100K until you've been teaching for 20 years. In most districts teachers pay into their medical insurance. You retire after 30 years.

If you think those 2 compensation packages are comparable..you aren't very good with math. I don't know a single teacher who drives a Mercedes.

Nothing like Internet hyperbole and lies!!

Old 01-20-2009, 01:24 PM

Quote:
If you don't like what teachers are paid, you need to go to the school board. If the school board doesn't give you the contract you like, then you vote out the board for one that will fight to cut salaries and benis. The answer is not voting against school budgets every year. I can't believe more people haven't figured this out.

Do you think we should have a situation where every time the Senior Citizens get their panties in a bunch, teachers should be laid off? That's pretty much what you want with the school budgets....a " no" vote equals hacking away at salaries. What kind of an environment would that create? I'm angry about how high SCPD salaries are, but I don't think we should fire half of the police force because of it?

My wife is a teacher, and the amount we pay into our insurance has doubled since she started 8 years ago, so who isn't giving back?

It's amazing how much inaccurate information is floating around in peoples heads on LI.
Thanks for the tip on voting out school boards.

I don't see why salaries and benefits have to be exempt from the budget the public votes on. They are a large part of the budget. Having a vote without those being included is incomplete to say the least. Also in tough times, people should be willing to sacrifice for the good of all in their particular union, etc. Like the autoworkers. Apparently their unions would rather have NO jobs for some or all of their members than to cut the wages down a few dollars per hour. It's counterproductive to the good of all.

The seniors who vote against the school budget and do not care about the education for the kids are effectively being stupid because they are cutting off their own noses to spite their faces. If the services for the kids get starved, the quality of the school district goes down, which in turn affects property VALUES. So some greedy old goats don't want to pay to keep a quality school district going, yet I am sure they will expect TOP DOLLAR for their unimproved cape with the original kitchen and bathroom and the panelled "rec room" with fake bar in the basement, since, after all, they are in a "good school district."

So some teachers do pay part of their benefit costs like the rest of us in 2009. Let me ask you, do they pay for HERS entirely and she only pays a portion of the FAMILY cost or does she have to pay for part of HERS too like the rest of the working world in 2009?

As for your comment on inaccurate information floating around, all you definitively know about is one school district, the one your wife works for, so please do not speak as if you are an expert on every single one of them here on LI. I am sure there are plenty of school districts on LI whose teachers contribute NOTHING to their health insurance costs as if we were still in the 1950s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island