U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2009, 09:06 PM

4 posts, read 11,319 times

Advertisements

Hey- I need help!

I have a choice to live in either Astoria or Forest Hills... but I must commute to my job in Syosset on Long Island. Most mornings I need to be at work around 6:30am , but sometimes not until 9:30am (so I would be hitting rush hour traffic sometimes). My drive home would be anytime after 6pm.

Personally, I feel that Astoria is more my style/price. But I feel like commute-wise it would be silly to move that far (especially with what I hear about the GCP during rush hour). Is it really that bad?? Will it be more than a 30-40 minute commute everyday?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2009, 09:21 PM

15,804 posts, read 16,870,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erlydup View Post
Is it really that bad?? Will it be more than a 30-40 minute commute everyday?
YES and YES!!!!!! I hate to break it to you, but I don't think Forest Hills is so great of a commute either. Never mind Astoria, Forest Hills will be more than 30-40 mins. to Syosset. Astoria? With rush hour traffic, definitely more than an hour. Also, remember you will be driving INTO THE GLARING SUN (east) on the way there on the days you arrive by 9:30 and INTO THE GLARING SUN (west) on the way back every night (except in winter when it's dark then). Yuck. If you want a commute of 30-40 minutes to Syosset, you should move to northeastern Nassau County or northwestern Suffolk County.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:28 PM

7 posts, read 45,936 times
I used to drive to Astoria from Manhasset while I was teaching and ended up retiring way too early. It used to take 45 minutes each way, with the normal heavy traffic patterns. Syosset is at least 15 more minutes, at least. Of course you will be going against traffic. You should time the commute for yourself to be sure.

Old 01-20-2009, 09:36 PM

1,005 posts, read 2,435,924 times
It will be hell coming from Astoria. I've seen traffic in Queens back up before 6:30am.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:49 AM

8,904 posts, read 6,676,189 times
I live in Astoria right now. I regularly go to Long Island to see my fiance. Astoria is the best neighborhood in Queens I've lived in. Forest hills is a more crowded with more traffic in general, like along Queens blvd especially. But then again, at least with Forest Hills you're right next to the Grand Central pkwy and the LIE, so you have a choice. With Astoria, you're really only near the Grand Central pkwy. You could take the BQE down to the LIE, but that's hardly worth it unless the GC is really jammed up.

I guess it all depends on your tastes and if you're willing to take a longer commute to live in an area you prefer more.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:01 AM

3,218 posts, read 3,754,358 times
on the mornings you need to be at work by 6:30 am, your commute will be a breeze. Every other day, and most evenings home, will likely be difficult.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:11 AM

15 posts, read 55,879 times
i drive from middle village (little further west of forest hills) to melville everyday. leave at 740am, get to work around 825. Going home is a different story, some nights an hour, some nights more, very rarely less.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:51 PM

4 posts, read 11,319 times
thanks everyone!!!!

any ideas on good areas in queens, that's great for young twenty-somethings??

must be within 40 minutes (including traffic) to work (in syosset, li) & a have lot of bars (lol).

Old 01-23-2009, 09:54 AM

15 posts, read 55,879 times
bayside. it has bell blvd (lots of bars/nightlife) and is actually very close to LIE.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:33 PM

62 posts, read 167,515 times
I agree w/ Steve Z, Bayside is a nice area in Queens that has plenty of bars/nightlife, good restaurants, shopping nearby, and access to two highways (Cross Island Pkwy and Clearview Expwy).

Commuting Forest Hills to Syosset isn't bad. You can take Queens Blvd east to Union Tpke and hop onto the Grand Central Pkwy (becomes Northern State Pkwy) to avoid the disaster of the GCP splitting with the Interboro Pkwy (now known as Jackie Robinson Pkwy) and Van Wyck Expwy. If you get to work by 6:30am, you won't hit much traffic. If you're going in at 9:30am, there will be some traffic from the Cross Island ramp to New Hyde Park Rd.

Commuting from Astoria to Syosset could be a problem. You'll have to drive by LaGuardia Airport, which always has traffic. You also get to hit the traffic where the LIE & GCP cross into each other.

Leaving Syosset to Queens after work is a different story ... it can range from 40 minutes to over an hour!

HTH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Z looking for condo View Post
bayside. it has bell blvd (lots of bars/nightlife) and is actually very close to LIE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island