Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 05:46 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,126,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildCardSteve View Post
What species? What do they look like?

I too, have never seen lizards on LI. Plenty of toads (Fowlers' Toad) some snakes (garter and DeKay's) but never any lizards.

And, yes, they're great insect eaters. I wouldn't mind having a few where I live now. We have lots of roaches and lizards would eat them up.
you have roaches? ewww!! I had to build an extension on a home in amityville, right next to home depot, and the house was infested with roaches! They were all over. every time we broke open a wall, they would literally poor out. who would habe known!?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 07:31 PM

19,576 posts, read 20,401,433 times
The Italian Wall Lizard. Very colorful and beautiful little animal, about the same size as the Florida Anole (AKA: Chameleon).
They were introduced in Garden City in the 1960's I believe.
If you don't happen to just see one, chances are you wont even know they are there. First time I saw one, I had to do a double take and rub my eyes.
I had heard rumours about their existence on the LI, and that's when I realized what
I saw was indeed a lizard scurrying across my driveway. At first I thought I was cracking up.

They love rocks. Especially rock walls and garden rock design features. I've seen them hanging out on water features pool side too. They like to bask in the sun, just like most LI'ers. Ha.
Once you see one in your yard, you learn to see them all over your yard. You become aware of their existence, and begin to notice them more often.
They blend in very well with gardens and landscaping features. Natural Camoflage.

Old 01-21-2009, 07:43 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,379,845 times
Yes, the lizards on LI are Italian Wall Lizards. They are not native to the area, but seem to be doing well in the areas where they've become established. Pictures and info on their range is on the NYSDEC website here - http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/administr...df/lizards.pdf

I too remember when Long Island had lots of frogs. It's now seemed that most have disappeared. In fact, I was part of an organization that was searching for the Southern Leopard Frog, which just 20 years ago was Long Island's most populous frog, and now appears to be extinct here (perhaps like the middle class will be one day). Info and pictures of the former LI native are here - FERN -- The Foundation for Ecological Research in the Northeast -- Leopard Frog Research

Old 01-21-2009, 09:25 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,691,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
Yes, the lizards on LI are Italian Wall Lizards. They are not native to the area, but seem to be doing well in the areas where they've become established. Pictures and info on their range is on the NYSDEC website here - http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/administr...df/lizards.pdf

I too remember when Long Island had lots of frogs. It's now seemed that most have disappeared. In fact, I was part of an organization that was searching for the Southern Leopard Frog, which just 20 years ago was Long Island's most populous frog, and now appears to be extinct here (perhaps like the middle class will be one day). Info and pictures of the former LI native are here - FERN -- The Foundation for Ecological Research in the Northeast -- Leopard Frog Research
I used to catch Lepoard Frogs all the time as a kid. A lot of wildlife here is dissappearing or has dissappeared. I very rarely see snakes which I used to catch all the time as a kid. Milk snakes, Garter snakes, Dekays and even Water snakes

Old 01-21-2009, 09:54 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,291,715 times
Default Italian Wall Lizard

I often see them at the Westbury train station, usually in the summer. When I first saw them I was suprised to see lizards in a heavily developed area like this. In the pine barrens I'm used to seeing reptiles, but it was nice to see them here!
Here's a photo I got of one, they are quite beautiful.

Old 01-22-2009, 01:00 AM

9,916 posts, read 23,022,637 times
How beautiful - thanks for the photo.
Guess come Spring, I'll have to start looking for them

Old 01-22-2009, 08:21 AM

6 posts, read 21,493 times
We have salamanders in Queens. I see them by the cemetary on Maurice Ave in Maspeth. My friends' kids love to try and catch them!

Old 01-22-2009, 08:45 AM

Are you sure they are salamanders...Lizards and Salamanders are often mistaken for each other. Salamanders are generally a slow moving amphibian, that are fairly easy to catch, while the lizard is a fast moving reptile, much more difficult to catch.
Also, you're not very likely to see a salamander hanging out in public, it's not their thang! ha.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:09 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,379,845 times
Long Island is home to several species of salamander, including an Endangered one, the eastern tiger salamander. Pictures and descriptions can be found here Upton Herpetology - Salamanders. It's best to recognize the endangered ones and leave them be if at all possible.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:28 AM

I've encountered the Tiger Salamander maybe 6 times in the last 15 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island