Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 01:49 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,399,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Coyotes? Coyotes? Are you serious?
They'd never use 'em for deer control. They would multiply too quickly and become a nusiance. Deer usually don't attack and eat humans. Coyotes have been known to do that once in a while
Nah, deer are just the host for that lovely Lyme Disease that makes you wish you'd been eaten by a Coyote instead. They coyotes will eventually make it here on their own, it's just a matter of time I think. They've adapted well to living among our kind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2009, 01:50 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,758,868 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, the Island is way too over-developed to reintroduce extinct species of animals, especially the larger ones. I'd love to watch a bear chase fish at conntequot river or wherever, that'd be cool. it would also be funny to be cruising down the LIE and see Bear "X-ing" signs...ha.
I'm really surprised the deer have lasted this long.
My aunt is constantly chasing deer out of her yard in East Islip...they are a nuisance. And I'm sure the people in NJ could do without dangerous bears running around their backyards. I say keep 'em out!

Old 01-22-2009, 01:59 PM

1,815 posts, read 5,399,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
My aunt is constantly chasing deer out of her yard in East Islip...they are a nuisance. And I'm sure the people in NJ could do without dangerous bears running around their backyards. I say keep 'em out!
Try one of those water spray things in summer that's motion activated. It's like a sprinkler, and shoots water when it detects motion. Great for keeping the neighborhood kids from cutting across your lawn too!

Old 01-22-2009, 02:12 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,702,203 times
I dont consider any wildlife a nusiance other then some ppl. I think we are suppose to live with nature not against it.

Old 01-22-2009, 02:15 PM

432 posts, read 1,593,895 times
I have seen an albino deer in West Hampton. I also have a large stone wall in my backyard that has snake skins stuck to it in the summer. Kinda of creepy. When it rains I have frogs stuck all over my slider in the back. Its like Dr. Dolittle went nuts in my backyard sometimes.
Hearing the owls call at night is cool........

Old 01-22-2009, 02:59 PM

20,042 posts, read 20,844,919 times
I forgot about the rattlesnakes. Again, I've heard a rumour that may still exist on the Island...in the pine barrens.

And the deer are pushing further west, getting very brave. Over the summer I saw one cutting across Union Ave in Bayshore/Brightwaters area. During a torrential rainstorm no less...

So after the nuke holocaust there'll be nothing left but roaches, rats, Cher, and deer. Ha!

Old 01-22-2009, 03:46 PM

518 posts, read 1,820,682 times
last summer i used to see deer on bayview ave heading down to the e. islip marina all the time. grazing in peoples front yards like it was nothing.. ive also seen many frogs, my aunts house in glen cove used to have a ton of the little ones that would hide around the rocks/gravel, as kids we used to try to catch them. also something i noticed last summer, at the heartland mini-golf place, they have large frogs living in the water! i was looking in the water, and was like hey that looks like a frog.. so i tossed in a rock and sure enough it swam away.. and then looking closer, they were all over the place. i didnt think they would be able to live in an artificial enviroment like that, not to mention that the water is literally colored blue

Old 01-22-2009, 04:20 PM

20,042 posts, read 20,844,919 times
Certain species of reptiles and amphibians are very hearty and can live just about anywhere, especially golf courses! Just go down to Myrtle Beach, the dyed-blue water capital of the world, and look in the ponds. All kinds of critters in there...

Old 01-22-2009, 05:03 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,321,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
I dont consider any wildlife a nusiance other then some ppl. I think we are suppose to live with nature not against it.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:11 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,321,532 times
Quote:
I forgot about the rattlesnakes. Again, I've heard a rumour that may still exist on the Island...in the pine barrens.

And the deer are pushing further west, getting very brave. Over the summer I saw one cutting across Union Ave in Bayshore/Brightwaters area. During a torrential rainstorm no less...

So after the nuke holocaust there'll be nothing left but roaches, rats, Cher, and deer. Ha!

Wow that is quite far west! I wonder if they've made it into parts of Nassau?
I dont think there are rattlesnakes in our pine barrens, in NJ yes.
I have seen Eastern Hognose, Yellow Ringneck, and Black Racer snakes, as well as garters. Hard to get photos of them because they are quick!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island