U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2009, 02:25 PM

7,477 posts, read 7,407,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
In all seriousness, I'm not joking. I want to start my own Hamlet or Incorporated Village. What do I need to do to get the ball rolling.
I believe you need to start a petition to get a referendum on the ballot the next election and then a certain % of residents have to approve ... West Islip tried to become an incorporated village several years ago and it failed in the petition stage
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 02:30 PM

7,778 posts, read 9,469,338 times
So basically, I just need a notebook and start banging on doors, and hopefully be able to pull a sales pitch before I have the door shut in my face, punched or shot at?
Doesn't sound too hard

Old 01-23-2009, 03:00 PM

7,477 posts, read 7,407,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
So basically, I just need a notebook and start banging on doors, and hopefully be able to pull a sales pitch before I have the door shut in my face, punched or shot at?
Doesn't sound too hard
Don't take me as being 100% correct, I am sure Walter knows the actual process and hopefully he will chip in with the real/correct details.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:21 PM

2,845 posts, read 8,503,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
SeanX4, my source was "New York State Population, 1790-1980", by Barbara Shupe and published by Neal-Schuman Publishers, Inc., 23 Leonard Street, New York, NY 10013.

.....................Pre-1898 Villages of Queens County.......

................Village................Date of
.................Name.............Incorporation... .....Town........

................Flushing.................1813..... .........Flushing
................Jamaica.................1814...... ........Jamaica
................Astoria* .................1839.............Newtown
................Hempstead.............1853........ ......Hempstead
................College Point...........1867..............Flushing
................Whitestone.............1868....... .......Flushing
................Sea Cliff.................1883..............Oyster Bay
................Far Rockaway.........1888...............Hempstead
................Freeport..................1892.... .........Hempstead
................Rockville Centre.......1893..............Hempstead
................Richmond Hill..........1894...............Jamaica
................Lawrence................1897...... ........Hempstead
................Rockaway Beach.....1897...............Hempstead

* Village of Astoria and surrounding areas become the City of Long Island City in 1870 and become independent of the Town of Newtown. Other sources give the date of incorporation of the Village of Astoria as 1836, not 1839.

P.S. SeanX4, on a separate thread, it was mentioned that the Green Acres Mall was not in the Village of Valley Stream. I thought it was. Your thoughts on this, please.
So I guess Middle Village and Queens Village were the Huntington Village of the gilded age, in name at least? I'd love to score a pre-NYC Queens map somewhere. How about Brooklyn? I know Williamsburg and "Brooklyn" (area centered around Brooklyn Heights/Downtown Brooklyn) were cities, pre-merger....how about the villages of Kings County?

How about the other boroughs, does that book have that info?

I thought Green Acres Mall was in Valley Stream, but when I looked it up just now it appears that the village boundary actually runs through the parking lot, right behind Target.....however, the main property - the actual "mall" part of it, despite not falling within the boundaries of the village is listed as paying taxes to the village...but only a very small amount....never seen anything like that.

So I'd say, in conclusion, that an extremely tiny part of Green Acres Mall's parking lot is within the Village of Valley Stream however the majority of the building is in South Valley Stream, which is news to me.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:22 PM

9,341 posts, read 23,447,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
... I am sure Walter knows the actual process and hopefully he will chip in with the real/correct details.

Thanks, WIHS2006, for the compliment.

For the actual rules about how to incorporate as a village, ask your local Assembly person and/or State Senate person for a copy (or the URL, if available) of the Legislative Act, as amended, controlling the incorporation of villages.

Old 01-23-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
So I guess Middle Village and Queens Village were the Huntington Village of the gilded age, in name at least?
Yup.

Quote:
How about Brooklyn? I know Williamsburg and "Brooklyn" (area centered around Brooklyn Heights/Downtown Brooklyn) were cities, pre-merger....how about the villages of Kings County?

In 1646, the Village of Breuckelen, lineal ancestor of Brooklyn, was granted a charter by the Dutch West India Company. (Fort Orange, which later became the City of Albany, obtained similar municipal privileges in 1652. When in 1653 the "Merchants and Elders of the Community of Nieuw Amsterdam" won the right to establish what was called "a city government", the municipality which became New York City was born.)

In 1816, the Village of Brooklyn incorporated within Town of Brooklyn.

In 1827, the Village of Williamsburgh incorporated within Town of Bushwick.

The Village of Brooklyn disappeared when the City of Brooklyn incorporated in 1834.

The Village of Williamsburgh disappeared when the Town of Williamburgh (the Town of Williamsburgh seceded from the Town of Bushwick in 1840) became the City of Williamsburgh in 1851.

Quote:
How about the other boroughs, does that book have that info?
It should. (I only had selected pages from the book, not the entire book.)

Quote:
I thought Green Acres Mall was in Valley Stream, but when I looked it up just now it appears that the village boundary actually runs through the parking lot, right behind Target.....however, the main property - the actual "mall" part of it, despite not falling within the boundaries of the village is listed as paying taxes to the village...but only a very small amount....never seen anything like that.

So I'd say, in conclusion, that an extremely tiny part of Green Acres Mall's parking lot is within the Village of Valley Stream however the majority of the building is in South Valley Stream, which is news to me.
Thank you.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:39 PM

1,416 posts, read 4,696,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialp View Post
It is beneficial to incorporate when you have a large commercial establishment paying large amounts of property tax.
I agree; for an area that has a commercial/business sector (for instance, Babylon) incorporation can have advantages. But for 100%-residential areas such as Nissequogue and Head of the Harbor, where there is absolutely NO business or commercial allowed at all, IMO it turns out to be nothing more than a giant Homeowners Association in disguise, and at a hefty price.

I didn't know that West Islip had ever toyed with the idea of incorporating; a good friend of mine has lived there for decades and I'll have to ask her if she ever heard of such a thing. Although West Islip does have retail/office areas I can see why the residents would not want it to become an incorporated village entity like neighboring Babylon: The taxes are already so high in West Islip because of the school district, if additional Village taxes were added to that it would become even more unaffordable. There's just so much of a tax burden that people can take, and in all honesty the school district there isn't even one of the Top Five in Suffolk County.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:06 AM

44 posts, read 123,574 times
This is all very Interesting. How come Queens addresses still use the pre-NYC village/town post office branch names but, none of the other boroughs do?

Old 01-24-2009, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chroy View Post
How come Queens addresses still use the pre-NYC village/town post office branch names but, none of the other boroughs do?

Unlike Kings County, where the City of Williamsburgh and the several towns, and their hamlets, had all been annexed by the City of Brooklyn prior to 1898, and, as a result, there was the "Brooklyn, NY" post office already in place, the western-quarter of Queens County included several independent municipalities: the City of Long Island City, the Town of Flushing, the Town of Jamaica and the Rockaway peninsula in 1898. (The Rockaway peninsula had been in the Town of Hempstead immediately prior to January 1, 1898.)

Thus, there were in existence 3 post offices: "Long Island City, NY", "Flushing, NY" and "Jamaica, NY", and then a 4th post office, the "Far Rockaway, NY" post office, was created for the Rockaway peninsula (it would appear the Jamaica Postmaster was not well liked, otherwise, the area that became the "Far Rockaway, NY" post office would have been made part of the "Jamaica, NY" post office).

Each of these post office was sub-divided into postal stations (postal branches) that carried the name of what previous had been a village or hamlet within each town, and thus people kept using the name of their no-longer existing village or hamlet as part of their mailing address, despite many attempts by the USPS for folks to only use the post office name, and not the postal station name, in a place's mailing address.

Last edited by Walter Greenspan; 01-24-2009 at 09:12 PM..

Old 01-31-2009, 05:46 PM

3 posts, read 9,189 times
i think that an incorporated village would be great for central islip. The town of islip has no use for us and we have become a dumping ground. They lack in their code enforcement and the general every day qualitiy of life to the residents. we need to clean it up before it gets worse. How do you go about starting and incorporated village.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island