U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-28-2009, 04:18 PM

2,846 posts, read 6,115,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
As do I.

Maybe Williamsburg has changed but its still the real deal since the Village was run out of town.

I kinda remember it like
YouTube - Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Maps

crooks
It's still got it's positives, I'm sure it's a much better place to live today than it was 15 years ago. Real estate in Williamsburg has actually gotten ridiculously expensive though. A lot of the more recent hipster transplants are having to settle for Bushwick and Bed-Stuy....which have been re-imagined by realtors as "East Williamsburg". The days of low rents are over on the Brooklyn Waterfront.....they were even trying to push Red Hook as "the next East Village" for awhile, but I think that failed miserably. I gotta say, having been to a few parties in Bushwick the last couple years - you can see a definite improvement.....so while the hipsterification of Brooklyn might be obnoxious, it does have it's benefits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymel View Post
Lol that song sounds good to me. But I agree Brooklyn is going to be like that, but who says its for the worst? Eventually it will change again.
LOL it's definitely catchy!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
That's pretty much how I always felt about CA and the Pacific Northwest. I would wonder "How do these people live there and be able to sleep at night? Are they crazy?" I felt the NYC area was so much more superior since we do not have much in the way of uncontrollable and unpredictable natural disasters.

Now in the post-9/11 world, by travelling to NYC everyday, I am living the same way because we face a man-made disaster: the spectre of terrorism killing thousands in NYC.
Don't forget we're supposed to get that hurricane that will wipe us off the face of the earth one of these days. To tell you the truth though, I could never bring myself to worry about anything like that....especially terrorism. Everybodys gotta go sometime, you're about 20 bajillion times more likely to get taken out by a wayward cab than by a Muslim extremist.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 06:19 PM

13,762 posts, read 15,758,683 times
Quote:
Don't forget we're supposed to get that hurricane that will wipe us off the face of the earth one of these days.
At least we get we get warnings that a hurricane is approaching. If someone wants to play the hero and weather the storm, that's their prerogative.

Quote:
To tell you the truth though, I could never bring myself to worry about anything like that....especially terrorism. Everybodys gotta go sometime, you're about 20 bajillion times more likely to get taken out by a wayward cab than by a Muslim extremist.
What do the odds become if it's a wayward cab driven by a Muslim extremist in training?

Old 01-30-2009, 12:08 PM

3,151 posts, read 1,928,875 times
I just bought a house in Charlotte and we love it there. Can't wait to be there full time. Reminds me alot of Long Island except the beaches which I would miss (right now 2 minutes to the Sound). Beautiful homes in South Charlotte. Bought 3700 sq ft new construction 3 car garage 10ft ceilings wood floors kitchen mint fully loaded for 320k taxes 3300 home owners insurance $440 per year. Can't beat it. Fastest growing area around. One of the few places where prices are going up in this market, or at least holding their own. Lots of NY's there.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:13 PM

7,262 posts, read 7,536,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
I just bought a house in Charlotte and we love it there. Can't wait to be there full time. Reminds me alot of Long Island except the beaches which I would miss (right now 2 minutes to the Sound). Beautiful homes in South Charlotte. Bought 3700 sq ft new construction 3 car garage 10ft ceilings wood floors kitchen mint fully loaded for 320k taxes 3300 home owners insurance $440 per year. Can't beat it. Fastest growing area around. One of the few places where prices are going up in this market, or at least holding their own. Lots of NY's there.
They will start going down within a few months..10% unemployment just around the bend.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
They will start going down within a few months..10% unemployment just around the bend.
Difference is..when you buy a house for $87 sq ft...can't go down too far..you can't build it for that, On LI buying at 200 or 300 sq ft, you have a long way to drop..and a long time to recover your loss. A lot of buyers from NY are buying for cash. Market in Charlotte has a different dynamic than LI does.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:34 PM

7,262 posts, read 7,536,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdavid002 View Post
Difference is..when you buy a house for $87 sq ft...can't go down too far..you can't build it for that, On LI buying at 200 or 300 sq ft, you have a long way to drop..and a long time to recover your loss. A lot of buyers from NY are buying for cash. Market in Charlotte has a different dynamic than LI does.
We'll have to see. The market dynamic in Charlotte also has the fact that there are a load of empty new houses and half finished ones sitting in lots...we don't that issue here, and the job situation is still better than Charlotte. I've checked Realtor.com in that area...birds eye view shows huge developments half finished with many units available.

Again, we'll have to see.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:20 PM

15,759 posts, read 16,339,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
We'll have to see. The market dynamic in Charlotte also has the fact that there are a load of empty new houses and half finished ones sitting in lots...we don't that issue here, and the job situation is still better than Charlotte. I've checked Realtor.com in that area...birds eye view shows huge developments half finished with many units available.

Again, we'll have to see.
True that. Who would want a "used" home in Charlotte (even if it is in great shape and still only a few years old) when they can get a brand new one fitted to their own specifications that nobody has ever lived in unless the "used" home has a very, very, very low price indeed.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:50 PM

1,005 posts, read 2,395,607 times
A lot of that new construction is really bad. It's plywood and Tyvek and it's not going to last. I've heard of a lot of bad things about some of the new developments in NC in particular.

Old 02-02-2009, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
A lot of that new construction is really bad. It's plywood and Tyvek and it's not going to last. I've heard of a lot of bad things about some of the new developments in NC in particular.
Sure, there is bad construction everywhere including Long Island. I looked at Campo Bros and the workmanship was so bad that they didn't even attempt to hide it. To each his own as they say. I can only speak for myself. One thing is for sure, there are alot of NY'ers especially Long Islanders moving to Charlotte and Charlote is rated one of the lowest risk areas in terms of declining home prices where Long Island is getting creamed. I have looked at alot of real estate on Long Island and I can tell you that what you get in Charlotte is far superior than what you get on Long Island in terms of quality, finishes, appliances, etc. Drawbacks are no basement unless you custom build or go into 700k +. What you are paying for on Long Island is the land, not the house. In Charlotte the opposite it true. You get a far superior house, but not alot of land. Which is just fine for me. Others maybe not so much. Like I said, to each his own.

Old 02-02-2009, 10:59 AM

15,759 posts, read 16,339,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
I am sure many potential purchasers of the homes just see "new and shiny" and can't tell the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island