Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 08:13 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,321,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
Broadway Mall is a decent alternative when you don't want to deal with crowds at Roosevelt Field...or you just want to avoid that part of Nassau all together. It doesn't have the high end stores like Whitman or Roosevelt Field, but all of the usual suspects are there. Plus, being able to hit Target while you're there is a big plus IMO.
I heard The Gap is closing their store in Broadway though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 08:20 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,321,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanCutHippie View Post
Oh man, did the mall burn to the ground and get put out of its misery? Thank you Walmart. The few stores that were decent fled upon the arrival of walmart. The mall is now infested with the lowest forms of life you will ever see competing only with Green Acres which also has a walmart.

I head to Walt Whitman when I am up on the Island.
Bringing in Walmart was a mistake, that was done before Westfield took over.
The former owners wrecked that mall so much by their mis-management.
It's biggest problem is empty stores, because the mall failed to properly renovate itself. Instead of bringing in Walmart in the old Sterns space, they should have brought in LI's first Neiman Marcus. Certainly with all the wealth south of Merrick Road (Nassau Shores) could've supported it. A remodel in addition to new trendy stores (ie Banana Republic,Ann Taylor, Abercrombie) and an expansion of Macy's would've brought the mall to a much better place. But instead the former owners decided to make the mall value oriented, bringing in Walmart,etc. And adding a rent hike for that may be the death knell to that mall.
If an anchor like Macy's or Sears has to make cuts, they are going to look at closing their under-performing stores, like the ones at Sunrise, first. Once that happens, it will become a Dead Mall.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:40 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,140,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Bringing in Walmart was a mistake, that was done before Westfield took over.
The former owners wrecked that mall so much by their mis-management.
It's biggest problem is empty stores, because the mall failed to properly renovate itself. Instead of bringing in Walmart in the old Sterns space, they should have brought in LI's first Neiman Marcus. Certainly with all the wealth south of Merrick Road (Nassau Shores) could've supported it. A remodel in addition to new trendy stores (ie Banana Republic,Ann Taylor, Abercrombie) and an expansion of Macy's would've brought the mall to a much better place. But instead the former owners decided to make the mall value oriented, bringing in Walmart,etc. And adding a rent hike for that may be the death knell to that mall.
If an anchor like Macy's or Sears has to make cuts, they are going to look at closing their under-performing stores, like the ones at Sunrise, first. Once that happens, it will become a Dead Mall.

macy's and sear's doesnt pay rent in the sunrise mall.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:47 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,976,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
btw, the security in the broadway mall are racists.
Please explain your statement.

I'm sure it's news to many.

Old 01-29-2009, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislandmike View Post
Please explain your statement.

I'm sure it's news to many.

macys, sterns, sears, a&s, jc penneys.....those are "anchor stores" meaning they are attractions within themselves and they lure shoppers to the mall.

thats why the rent is so high for the little guys: to make up for the big stores lack of rent.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:06 PM

29 posts, read 162,235 times
The last time I was there we had to leave because there was a shooting at Champs.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:45 AM

35 posts, read 126,013 times
Are you guys talking about sunrise mall in massapequa? I shop there all the time and honestly I have never notice anything out of the ordinary except 2 years ago there was a shoplifting in sears I think. I must be shopping off peak time and missing all the action. I mostly shop at waltwhitman but I am definitely not afraid to shop at sunrise mall, You guys seriously need to get out more and stop being afraid of your own shadow!!!!!

Old 01-30-2009, 03:48 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,406,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbogirl View Post
I am definitely not afraid to shop at sunrise mall, You guys seriously need to get out more and stop being afraid of your own shadow!!!!!

i totally agree. maybe we should stay idoors 24 hrs a day.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:34 AM

crime is everywhere. Ive seen my fair share all over the island. the sunrise mall is a great mall with plain clothers and uniformed officers patrolling the mall. hell, I even caught a flasher, mastubating in his car in front of a couple of 10 year old girls. I also busted UFC FIGHTER and massapequa resident -------------Moderator cut: no private names please
shoplifting sneakers. he cried like a baby to the cops. classic.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 01-30-2009 at 04:19 PM..

Old 01-30-2009, 06:12 AM

162 posts, read 734,837 times
Besides McDonald's closing, the Gap is gone too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island