Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 08:52 AM

20,026 posts, read 20,835,571 times

Advertisements

The economy in reality, is not as bad as the media is playing it out to be.
Crissis=big ratings

People are getting fed mis-information, or at least inflated information, and they are getting the pants scared off of them. It's subconscious...
The TV says recession, everything is bad, blah blah blah.
Then people think recession, everything is bad, better hold on to my money, blah blah blah blah blah...

It's like a Jedi mind trick:
Obi-Wan(media):We're in a recession.
Luke(the people): No we're not.
Obi-Wan(waving the 2 fingers past Luke's face): We are in a recession.
Luke: Looks like we are in a recession.

Things are bad, yes, absolutely. But I think much of it is media propaganda.
The ones who are getting the biggest hit are those in big companies and financial markets. It had to happen. Sometimes life is too good to be true. So all these big business companies that were doing real good finally got hit in the face with Karma. It was bound to happen. Nothing good lasts forever. Rich people cry like little babies when their bottom line starts dropping. The Rich and the lower class were in a sandbox playing together, but the rich kept taking more sand for their castle and then started taking the shovels too. Finally the lower class got tired of it, and took their shovels back and went home. It became very hard to keep building the castle with no shovels. I would probabally be upset too if I had to go from a private jet back to an automobile.

Yes, I think I've got too much free time on my hands, and I'm beginning to lose it.
I think I'm getting cabin fever. I can't wait to go back to work.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:20 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,155,036 times
Well, the numbers are the numbers. I have never heard of a 7.6% unemployment rate in my life. Now being that Im not gray nor over the hill might attribute to that. But I really think were in trouble. And in the construction industry I there is no relief in near sight. And you know when commerical building halts it shows that companies are hurting!

Old 02-06-2009, 09:29 AM

The numbers appear scary because of certain companies folding or downsizing.
Yes, when a place goes under or lays off 5000 employees, it's not good, and then times that by a few hundred big boys, But again, most of this is attributed to certain companies. There absolutely is a trickle effect, but I just don't believe things are AS bad as the television is saying they are.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:59 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,155,036 times
BUY AMERICAN!!!! We need our manufacturing, clothing, IT, etc. jobs back here in the US. Thats the bottom line.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:08 AM

Yeah, and American cars aren't "that" bad either...
It's a stigma, a money driven stigma.
I was a mechanic for many years, and still do some side work, and I found American cars to be no worse than Japanese as far as what could be considered normal wear and tear. I found American and Japanese cars to be pretty much neck-in-neck with each other as far as quality and dependability. The only true advantage with Japan is the fuel economy, and that is only with certain models, every Japanese car does not =40 MPG...And, to be honest, you couldn't give me a European car. They are nothing but a nightmare. Expensive to buy=expensive to fix. Expensive does not =better car.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:00 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,030,950 times
500K+ jobs lost is a real issue, not a made up crisis.

Old 02-06-2009, 11:17 AM

Not made up. Over exaggerated.
The old timers that lived through the great depression are laughing at us.
Hopefully things wont get *that* bad.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:03 PM

158 posts, read 189,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Well, the numbers are the numbers. I have never heard of a 7.6% unemployment rate in my life. Now being that Im not gray nor over the hill might attribute to that. But I really think were in trouble. And in the construction industry I there is no relief in near sight. And you know when commerical building halts it shows that companies are hurting!
The United States Unemployment Rate (http://www.miseryindex.us/urbymonth.asp - broken link)

first thing that pops up in google on "unemployment rate history"

check out some of the mid 70s and early 80s numbers. looks like we're getting close to "historically high levels". although I'm pretty sure in the 30's it was around 25%.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:28 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,030,950 times
Also, unemployment rates are not calculated now like they were back during the depression.

Back then, they used real unemployment rates.

The data we're seeing now is people on unemployment insurance.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:30 PM

I just hope and pray that the goofball oil industry jackasses don't raise the gas up to the biblical proportions it was last summer. Then, Then we will truly be screwed.
Any business that relies heavily on fuel will be in bigger trouble than they are now, such as Landscapers, pool companies, taxi cabs, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island