Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2009, 10:31 AM

863 posts, read 2,107,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrom123 View Post
I am a local attorney/realtor who owns a tax grievance business. You can definitely grieve your taxes yourself.

It is a 2 part process. The first filing is due by May 19,2009 with your local board. You will file the complaint form along with a copy of your appraisal and contract of sale. The target valuation date is 7/1/08. You need to prove what your house is worth as of that date.

You will hear from the board by beginning on September. If you lose at the initial stage,you will need to bring a SCAR proceeding. It sounds worse than it is. Many people give up at this stage. The towns are actually counting on it.

Good luck.

PS Just because you paid less than the previous owner does not mean you have a grievance. You need to prove that the town's assessing you too high!
Hello,

I am in the process of a purchase and the taxes are extremely high even more so that similar homes with an in-ground pool. I would like to grieve the tax of course and was told that I can do so with a copy of the signed contract since the sale would most likely not be completed before the grievance date is up. Do you know if that's true?

Has anyone done this before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 10:25 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
Hello,

I am in the process of a purchase and the taxes are extremely high even more so that similar homes with an in-ground pool. I would like to grieve the tax of course and was told that I can do so with a copy of the signed contract since the sale would most likely not be completed before the grievance date is up. Do you know if that's true?

Has anyone done this before?
You can also ask the current owner(s) to apply for the grievance now

--the sellers should tell the company that is doing the grieving for them that the house is being sold
--company will include that in the application (with a separate letter to the listing agent with instructions)
--the application/result is transferable as long as the new owners are identified as per instructions

Old 09-15-2009, 11:23 AM

783 posts, read 1,423,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
This is true...in fact the town assessor called me the day before my court date and requested I settle out of court. He offered me a "deal" on my assessment. I took it because it was close. He specifically said not many people stay on board through the whole process.

However it was not difficult. PM me if you want more info.
As some of the other posters stated...there are many companies out there who will do the whole thing for you. You usually do not pat unless they win...then you pay them 50% of the amount you save.

Does the town send out their own appraiser to assess the value of your house again when you grieve your property taxes? Thanks.

Old 09-15-2009, 12:39 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,515,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMing View Post
Does the town send out their own appraiser to assess the value of your house again when you grieve your property taxes? Thanks.
They did not send anyone out in our case. The tax assessor used some surrounding homes to compare...but the main tool he used was our current appraisal. He matched our assessed value to our appraised value. Since we were grossly overassessed (by about 120K) our taxes dropped quite a bit.

If you have a recent appraisal, you should be able to use that.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexei27 View Post
They did not send anyone out in our case. The tax assessor used some surrounding homes to compare...but the main tool he used was our current appraisal. He matched our assessed value to our appraised value. Since we were grossly overassessed (by about 120K) our taxes dropped quite a bit.

If you have a recent appraisal, you should be able to use that.

Can you grieves the taxes on a house that is not your primary residence?

Old 09-18-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Can you grieves the taxes on a house that is not your primary residence?
Yes you can; residency has no impact on the assessment.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Yes you can; residency has no impact on the assessment.
What if that home is an investment property? Thanks.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Whether primary residence, second home or investment property has no bearing on the assessment, only on eligibility for STAR.

Old 10-19-2014, 03:10 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,448,719 times
Quote:

You can greive in NY on a rental but only primary homes can file a SCAR if you get turned down on the first grievance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island