Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 11:51 AM

2 posts, read 2,995 times

Advertisements

What ever happened to Batt. 2. I was a member back in 1964-69....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 05:45 PM

6 posts, read 6,620 times
Default Yes, I Remember the Sea Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Does anyone remember an organization called the American Sea Rangers, which, to my knowledge, had it's roots on Long Island (and did not extend elsewhere)? It was an organization for kids and teens....similar to the Boy/Girl Scouts...but with a heavy navy influence. Groups were made up of Batallions, designated as either female or male. Once a year marching competition was held at Kings Point...and it got pretty competitive. It was more popular in Nassau County (Batallion 2 was in Valley Stream), however, my dad (now in his 80's) helped start a set of Batallions in Suffolk County (West Babylon). Batallion 18 was male, Batallion 19 was female. They had a camp in upstate NY somewhere...that each Batallion would spend a week at each summer. I can't remember where that was.

The only reason I ask, is because I spent many years of my youth as part of that organization and have fond memories of it...as others must have. But the odd thing is...absolutely nothing exists on the net when I google it! I always wonder what happened to the organization, and I can still remember parts of the pledge recited each week:

Raise your right hand and repeat after me...

As a Sea Ranger, I will, on my honor, uphold the laws of God and my country, obey my superior command, keep myself clean, in mind and body, at all times,...

Wow good memory!
My brother was a member of the Sea Rangers. The meetings were held at Wheeler Ave. School in Valley Stream. I remember that our neighbors' sons were in it and invited my brother to come. One of their Dads was the commander. I see thar Mr. Coppola was mentioned in this thread. Yes, he was the neighbor who invited my brother. Also there was mention of the camp upstate. Can't remember but it may have been Monticello. I remember there was a big pond with a tire swing. I was about 13 which brings us back to the summer of 1966!

Last edited by AAA7353; 09-25-2014 at 05:52 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 09-25-2014, 05:56 PM

2 posts, read 2,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfkIII View Post
Does anyone remember an organization called the American Sea Rangers, which, to my knowledge, had it's roots on Long Island (and did not extend elsewhere)? It was an organization for kids and teens....similar to the Boy/Girl Scouts...but with a heavy navy influence. Groups were made up of Batallions, designated as either female or male. Once a year marching competition was held at Kings Point...and it got pretty competitive. It was more popular in Nassau County (Batallion 2 was in Valley Stream), however, my dad (now in his 80's) helped start a set of Batallions in Suffolk County (West Babylon). Batallion 18 was male, Batallion 19 was female. They had a camp in upstate NY somewhere...that each Batallion would spend a week at each summer. I can't remember where that was.

The only reason I ask, is because I spent many years of my youth as part of that organization and have fond memories of it...as others must have. But the odd thing is...absolutely nothing exists on the net when I google it! I always wonder what happened to the organization, and I can still remember parts of the pledge recited each week:

Raise your right hand and repeat after me...

As a Sea Ranger, I will, on my honor, uphold the laws of God and my country, obey my superior command, keep myself clean, in mind and body, at all times,...
I was a member of batt. 2...... what happened to it?

Old 10-06-2014, 06:35 PM

2 posts, read 3,323 times
Yes we are the last a American Sea Rangers. We are in Valley Stream, ny. Battalions 5 & 14. Me and my sister are in with my dad who is the major and vinny ang is the rear admiral and just starting his 51st year. l please contact us at HTTP://vssearangers.wix.com/Americansearangers.

Old 06-17-2016, 03:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,109 times
Default American Sea Rangers

I am trying to get an American Sea Rangers patch from New York. My brother is in 75 years old and was in the ASR back in the 1960's. If anyone has a patch or could tell me where I could purchase one I would really appreciate it. It would really be a great surprise for my brother in Iowa.

Thanks,
Dottie

Old 06-20-2016, 04:39 PM

90 posts, read 302,766 times
I thought I'd had one but will still.look for it and let you know if I've found it. I would send it to you for sure.

Old 10-13-2016, 08:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,015 times
Default Sea Rangers - Battalion 5

1967 -1972 approx.
I was a Sea Ranger for 5yrs. in Valley Stream attending Ranger Summer Camp in upstate NY and of course the Exercises at Kings Point every year... (If I remember correctly we were the squad to beat - Battalion 5)

Great experience -everyone in my family was in the Navy...
(one Brother-in-law was Green Beret Special Forces) - he can't swim

--lifeguard458

Old 01-02-2017, 11:28 AM

2 posts, read 1,101 times
To Master Chief Tough Tal... I just realized the email I provided was closed. My new email is please do not post private e-mails on cd. Have people DM you for this info .
. I just found this site again and had more time to read the various posts from everyone. Wow the memories really kept coming. I do remember the Malone family from Franklin Square. (Joe & Trudy). I also remember their son Joe. I was in Battalion 13 from 1968 to 1978. Where has the time gone? I have tried over the years to explain the organization to people today only to get strange looks! But I do believe that the organization made me a better person today.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 01-02-2017 at 12:34 PM..

Old 09-22-2018, 10:56 AM

3 posts, read 2,129 times
American Sea Rangers.....I have a wool uniform .....child size. Does anyone want it? I was hoping there would be a museum or something. Email me if interested: DM me for private email.

Old 09-23-2018, 06:09 AM

3 posts, read 2,129 times
My Husband says the Covert Ave School in Elmont sounds familiar, I still have his uniform.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island