U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2009, 04:41 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,116,025 times

Advertisements

Why do we need 126 school districts on Long Island?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/01/ny...ef=long-island

If Long Islanders are serious about lowering the cost of living here and reducing our enormous and regressive property tax burden then it is time to consolidate the 126 current school districts down to two or three districts.

I propose that there should be:

1. Nassau County School District
2. Western Suffolk County School District (the five western towns)
3. Eastern Suffolk County School District (the five eastern towns)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 05:45 AM

659 posts, read 2,105,695 times
I'm not so sure that is the answer. Look at the disaster that is the NYC public schools. Larger districts have more problems. Plus, it could negatively affect property values which are partly based on school district. As a teacher, I think education would suffer greatly. Alrhoug tax wise it could work, education wise it would be a disaster.

Old 01-31-2009, 05:55 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,177,768 times
I agree, consolidation is the way to go. I'd be happy if Nassau had 3 or 4 districts & suffolk had 7 or 8. Even that would be a vast improvement.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:18 AM

7,658 posts, read 16,218,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nbres View Post
Why do we need 126 school districts on Long Island?

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/01/ny...ef=long-island

If Long Islanders are serious about lowering the cost of living here and reducing our enormous and regressive property tax burden then it is time to consolidate the 126 current school districts down to two or three districts.

I propose that there should be:

1. Nassau County School District
2. Western Suffolk County School District (the five western towns)
3. Eastern Suffolk County School District (the five eastern towns)

That would never pass, you may as well just do one PS like the city.

I do think what we should have is School Districts that align with our Councilmanic Districts. (4-5 towns per etc) with the Councilpeople as the Liason between the Admins and the people.

That way most districts will absorb at least one underperformer and drag it up to par.

crooks

Old 01-31-2009, 08:36 AM

16,685 posts, read 27,887,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
That would never pass, you may as well just do one PS like the city.

I do think what we should have is School Districts that align with our Councilmanic Districts. (4-5 towns per etc) with the Councilpeople as the Liason between the Admins and the people.

That way most districts will absorb at least one underperformer and drag it up to par.

crooks
That would be a good start. One argument against it would be that people who live in underperforming districts are near other underperformers -- do we start busing children from one area such as Shirley to Mount Sinai, PJ or 3V -- or vice versa? That would be the bus ride from Heck! According to Mapquest, the distance from Ward Melville to WM Floyd is just shy of 20 miles.

Someone else suggested 7 or 8 districts on Suffolk; I can't see that working by virtue of the size of Suffolk -- Brookhaven alone is the size of Nassau county, with a population in excess of 450,000 people.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:46 AM

1,349 posts, read 4,364,223 times
I don't buy the education will suffer from less districts. I think the consolidation needs to be from the administrative end. How will combining purchasing, maintance, payroll, hiring, etc hurt the kids?

I don't have a problem with school officials earning a decent wage. I'm probably the only person who see that a superintendant's salry isn't far out of line. I just think that they're responsible for too few schools for their pay grade and they have too many assistants.

How come other states can do so much with so much less? Cost of living I don't buy. I can go to many lower cost areas and salaries aren't THAT much different, maybe 10-20%. Someone will chime in about how states support the SD's in other areas, but our state taxes are among the highest as well. Where does all the money go?

RE: property values. I'm not saying that we have to bus the kids from Syosset to high school in Wyndanch, I'm just saying why can't we make the districts much larger and then the division is more by HS not district.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:23 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,583,076 times
It's about Power and Empire Building for patronage.

The lawyer "double-dipping" scandal that was FINALLY uncovered, is proof of this.

It has NOTHING to do, with Education, or the quality thereof.

The next time someone talks about "______fill in the blank...the Children", tune your ears in, to what they are REALLY talking about, and you find it in the subtext.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:24 AM

852 posts, read 1,737,691 times
Default Presumption lies with the status quo

Give reasons why there shouldn't be that many districts.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:35 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,583,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
Give reasons why there shouldn't be that many districts.
Like anything it's about $$$$$$.

Here's something interesting to look through....

www.emsc.nysed.gov/mgtserv/sch_dist_org/REORGANIZATION.ppt

Old 01-31-2009, 10:37 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,375,973 times
County wide districts would be a disaster. That's too large to administer effectively. I can't think of any school system with 1M+ residents that has an efficient administration. You'd wind up having subdistricts and other levels of admin.

I do think we need to consolidate. The current system is grossly inefficient and results in huge tax disparities between districts with good tax bases and districts with poor ones (not to mention numbers of students relative to taxable property).

Long Islanders are afraid of change and ceding "local control" which has scuppered reform in the past. That has to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island