Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2009, 06:22 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
^^ Your right people that are born and raised here will always be attached to the island. But thats the same for any place where you were raised and have family. You will see that the people who leave LI and dont have have family here have no regrets. Its just the way it is everywhere.

Good point, but its a little more than nostalgia.
When my friends came home...they finally understood why their parents struggled to keep them here.

There are other places worth living, but there really is no substitite for Long Island.
I think the amount wayward expats on this board speak volumes to how special Long Islands is.

I would also argue that many would come back in a heartbeat if they could get as much house for the money.

crooks

Old 02-11-2009, 06:44 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,152,502 times
Thats a given crooks... The people that leave dont leave because they dont like it. They leave because their quality of life sucks and they are trying to better it. And when they do leave they start missing the family and friends.
We all know how much you and the rest of LI'ers love it here. To you guys its utopia. But people think the same thing in San Fran, Houston, Chicago, etc. So saying there is no substitute for LI is a little overboard. But everyone has their own opinion. I like it here, but I dont think its the only place that has a good living.

Last edited by rocafeller05; 02-11-2009 at 07:02 AM..

Old 02-11-2009, 07:41 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,398,572 times
It's all a matter of what you're looking for and expecting from your move. If you like everything about Long Island except the amount of house you can buy, nothing is going to make you happy, since it won't be Long Island with a cheaper house. I think that is what happened to many who went to Florida and North Carolina. Long Island is unique and no where is going to be Long Island with a cheap cost of living. It's just not.

But if you move because there are things you do not love about Long Island other than just a lower cost of living AND are open to new things done differently than they are on the island, then you've got a better shot. Moving just for cost of living won't work if you're trying to take everything else 'Island' with you.

For me, moving is a lot about finances, but there are other things I do not like about the Island. The traffic, the stressed out populace, lack of an environmental awareness (ie - litter on the streets), etc. No place is perfect, but I'm hoping for a small farm somewhere where I can work on becoming self sufficient and live my life in harmony with the world.

Old 02-11-2009, 07:49 AM

77 posts, read 191,195 times
LI wouldn't be so bad if it weren't so crowded. The island is over populated, creating more sprawl, higher taxes and more expensive housing. Far eastern LI is beautiful. I'd hate to see the last few remaining square miles of wilderness turn into more housing developements, but that is what is going to happen. Back in the early 90's when I was a kid, my aunt bought a brand new house in Manorville. One side of the highway was a developement and the other side was farmland. I wonder if that farmland is even still there. Long Islands climate and soil is perfect for farming (which explains all the wonderful wineries) but they are disappearing! The middle class people are leaving the island in droves because for half the money you can get twice the house in other areas. And LI, like everyother suburb, is comletely dependant on it's host city. I've never lived in NC like some of these other people, but I'd say most people are better off making 50k a year in NC than 80k a year on LI. Pretty soon LI is going to be like Manhattan, only the rich or the poor are going to remain. The middle class won't even exist.
I hope the part of PA I live in doesn't become the next "LI Story" but it probably will

Old 02-11-2009, 07:57 AM

^^ A cost of living calculator shows if you make $80 K on LI then you would need to make $53 K in Raleigh, NC to have to same living conditions. And if you move and buy a house outright, forget about it, your smooth sailing.

This is a neat little $ comparison tool.....

Cost of living: Compare prices in two cities - CNNMoney.com

Old 02-11-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Thats a given crooks... The people that leave dont leave because they dont like it. They leave because their quality of life sucks and they are trying to better it. And when they do leave they start missing the family and friends.
We all know how much you and the rest of LI'ers love it here. To you guys its utopia. But people think the same thing in San Fran, Houston, Chicago, etc. So saying there is no substitute for LI is a little overboard. But everyone has their own opinion. I like it here, but I dont think its the only place that has a good living.

That might be true if Manhattan was therir front yard and The Hamptons were your back.

Sorry, no utopia....but no contest either.

croks

Old 02-11-2009, 08:26 AM

Quote:
^^ A cost of living calculator shows if you make $80 K on LI then you would need to make $53 K in Raleigh, NC to have to same living conditions. And if you move and buy a house outright, forget about it, your smooth sailing.

This is a neat little $ comparison tool.....

Cost of living: Compare prices in two cities - CNNMoney.com
So why are you on this board?

crooks

Old 02-11-2009, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
It's all a matter of what you're looking for and expecting from your move. If you like everything about Long Island except the amount of house you can buy, nothing is going to make you happy, since it won't be Long Island with a cheaper house. I think that is what happened to many who went to Florida and North Carolina. Long Island is unique and no where is going to be Long Island with a cheap cost of living. It's just not.

But if you move because there are things you do not love about Long Island other than just a lower cost of living AND are open to new things done differently than they are on the island, then you've got a better shot. Moving just for cost of living won't work if you're trying to take everything else 'Island' with you.

For me, moving is a lot about finances, but there are other things I do not like about the Island. The traffic, the stressed out populace, lack of an environmental awareness (ie - litter on the streets), etc. No place is perfect, but I'm hoping for a small farm somewhere where I can work on becoming self sufficient and live my life in harmony with the world.

Good point.

What many forget is that they take them with them.

crooks

Old 02-11-2009, 08:29 AM

Im on this board because I live here!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
So why are you on this board?

crooks

Old 02-11-2009, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Im on this board because I live here!!

Welcome back

crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island