U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-25-2010, 12:03 PM

3,560 posts, read 4,386,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowergarden View Post
We are leaving LI because my husband's company couldn't get the government of Long Island to easily allow them to expand their facilities. They wanted to grow and bring more jobs to LI and LI officials didn't do much to make that happen easily. So, the company looked at other areas in the country where the areas had business development agencies rolling out the red carpet, to include tax incentives and professional reports on how the city/area could help the company. The entire company is moving to ......... Westchester. One of the most expensive places in the country, but they provided the right package to the company.

I say all this because it just goes to show what a mess LI government has become. LI officials basically operate the area as a sleepy bedroom community to NYC. The only business that thrives here is the type of business that supports residential populations. Yep, resturaunts, furniture stores, grocery stores, garden stores. Basically retail. Low paying retail jobs. Until the government of LI decides to support high paying, intellectually based business, it's not going to be a pretty picture here. 500 families are leaving the area. Too bad.
Isn't that because the Farmingdale site was always meant to just be an incubator and not a permanent location? I lost track of the story but how hard did the company look to find a location on the Island that wasn't taxpayer supported?

Old 02-25-2010, 12:04 PM

13,756 posts, read 15,745,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Too bad the "new" Newsday website's search function is disfunctional.

It literally brings up hundreds of things that have nothing to do with the search terms placed in the search box everytime I try and search. Unfortunately, I don't always have time to wade through it all.

How recently were these articles in Newsday?
Google it under LI biotech to Westchester and you will find the details on the LIBN site.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:08 PM

15,752 posts, read 16,326,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Isn't that because the Farmingdale site was always meant to just be an incubator and not a permanent location? I lost track of the story but how hard did the company look to find a location on the Island that wasn't taxpayer supported?
Quote:
A move to Westchester would also be a setback to the Broadhollow Bioscience Park, a biotech research incubator on the campus of Farmingdale State University. State officials have long hoped the Route 110 corridor would be where Long Island’s biotech industry would prosper.

But Kathy Coley, Farmingdale State’s director of communications, said Monday that “[company] has not informed Farmingdale of any such decision. The state and [company] have a lease through 2022 to occupy the Broadhollow Bioscience Park.”
What do you mean?

It looks like they were supposed to stay at the biotech research incubator until 2022.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Google it under LI biotech to Westchester and you will find the details on the LIBN site.
Thanks!

Old 02-25-2010, 12:12 PM

SOme background from the Construction News:
OSI Pharmaceuticals of Melville, NY, has acquired the 43- acre Ardsley Park Science and Technology Center, once the home of Ciba-Geigy and Purdue Pharma, for $27 million. The company plans to consolidate its Melville-based headquarters as well as operations in Farmingdale, Cedar Knolls, NJ and Boulder, CO, to the 400,000-square-foot site at 410-460 Saw Mill River Road. The company purchased the property from an affiliate of Purdue Pharma and is expected to receive assistance from Empire State Development Corp. and the Westchester County Industrial Development Agency. At a public hearing on July 14 the Westchester County IDA granted OSI $3 million in sales tax exemptions in connection with the project.
The company, the Town of Greenburgh and the Empire State Development Corp. announced the purchase of the Ardsley Park property by OSI on July 7. State officials estimated OSI will invest more than $95 million on its property consolidation venture. That project cost estimate includes the property purchase, construction and renovations as well as the purchase of equipment. OSI Chief Financial Officer Pierre Legault said, following the IDA session earlier this month, that the total project cost could exceed $100 million.
---------------------------------------

Kathy Galante, senior director of investor relations and public relations for OSI Pharmaceuticals, told CONSTRUCTION NEWS in a telephone interview that the company had looked at sites across the country before deciding on purchasing the property in Westchester. However, she confirmed published reports in Newsday in June that the company had originally wanted to expand at the Broadhollow Bioscience Park at Farmingdale State University, but those plans met with resistance from State Senator Charles Fuschillo Jr. of Merrick who complained the company would have been leasing and building on state-owned property without any public bidding. Ms. Galante said that the company had been working on its headquarters search project for the past year.
OSI's Legault told CONSTRUCTION NEWS that the company's original preference was to stay on Long Island and expand at the Famingdale campus.
__________________________________________________ _________________________________

Blame NYS laws governing State held property.
Blame Fuschillo for being a stickler about a law which is costing LIers.
Fuschillo is wishy-washy where illegal aliens are concerned. He should be more of a stickler about enforcing our borders.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:15 PM

Default Here is the culprit!

If you are in his district, remember to VOTE AGAINST HIM NEXT TIME HE RUNS FOR ELECTION. If you know anyone in his district, please tell them this story:

Quote:
The 26-year-old company, best known for its flagship lung cancer-fighting drug Tarceva, had been trying to expand at the Broadhollow Bioscience Park at Farmingdale State University, but ran into resistance from state Sen. Charles Fuschillo Jr. (R-Merrick), who said OSI would be leasing and building on state property without any public bid.
OSI Pharmaceuticals to leave LI for Westchester

OMG! The crime "leasing and building on state property without any public bid!" Is that punishable by death or something? Or did Fuschillo want a public bid so he and/or his relatives could line their pockets from the winner (provided anyone was going to "bid" against the company anyway).

Old 02-25-2010, 12:21 PM

Flowergarden -- I am sorry that you have to be uprooted by total political stupidity.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:40 PM

815 posts, read 1,116,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
All that blue text nearly gave me a seizure
Methinks she doesn't like black.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:41 PM

3,180 posts, read 4,771,366 times
Yeah, I know your pain.
I'm being uprooted by political stupidity as well.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Yeah, I know your pain.
I'm being uprooted by political stupidity as well.
Dagnabbit! Not you, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island