Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 09:00 AM

3,050 posts, read 4,993,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
It is a geographical reality that almost everything (save Maine, Rhode Island and part of New Hampshire and part of Massachusetts) IS flyover country to a Long Islander (even more so than for Manhattan since we are east of that too). Please check any map of the United States to confirm.
Really? You going to choose now to play dumb?? I think most people know that flyover country is meant in a disparaging way.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
versus

After the proverbial wind was taken out of your sails ...
Like I said - agreeing to disagree on certain points in the interest of keeping the discussion intelligent and civil.

You keep trying to score points and at the end of the day you can congratulate yourself as "The Winner"!

Old 03-05-2010, 09:34 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Yeah, it's all "flyover" to a guy in the 30yr old 3bed ranch in Coram (not saying that's you since I have no clue what town you live in - just a generalization on LI not being "equal")...

One thing about LI... everyone can be happy with what they have, as long as they can point at another person and know they have more (or at least APPEAR to have more). Good thing you got your West Hempstead, Wyandanch, Mastic, and Shirleys... right? Because the folks living in all those towns (and the countless other lower income neighborhoods) aren't your peers as a LIer? Nah... it's much more logical to associate yourself with the folks living on the Gold Coast - who actually could pull off calling the rest of the country "flyover". Unless I'm missing all the BMW owners in Centereach, Farmingville, Patchogue, and Brentwood (et al)?

The problem is that the vast majority of LIers are living smack in the middle class and they're getting squeezed big time... You can ignore it, call yourself immune to it, or be smart and keep yourself on a budget to weather the storm. However you choose to approach it is fine - I just don't buy the "flyover" (which comes off as I'm better then you) mentality.
This is not just a LI mentality by any means. It's all over the country. Take a look at professional sports teams, a huge national pastime. Isn't forming professional sports teams and leagues all about who is the winner blah blah blah? Get it?

Take a deep breath, kid. Remember this:

Quote:
I don't understand the mentality on an anonymous forum why we feel the need to "defend"... this is pointed at myself, too. It's got some deep psych behind it! lol
You need to just relax and let go and look forward instead of backwards. You tried.

Quote:
In process... We're heading down to South Charlotte end of this month. It's been a very tough and long drawn out decision making process this past year. We considered so many LI based options for staying, probably looked at almost every Suffolk town in detail. Ultimately the only thing that made sense for us was going back down. We lived down there for a year+ before, which helps in knowing exactly what it's all about. We had the luxury of being able to come back financially and after spending time renting a house here while fully vetting out our options for buying on LI, we just couldn't find the value and QOL we wanted.
Enjoy SC!

Last edited by CaseyB; 03-05-2010 at 11:47 AM.. Reason: reference to deleted quote

Old 03-05-2010, 09:37 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
Quote:
This is not just a LI mentality by any means. It's all over the country. Take a look at professional sports teams, a huge national pastime. Isn't forming professional sports teams and leagues all about who is the winner blah blah blah? Get it?
^^ I honestly have to say, I don't get it... and I'm not trying to be obtuse.

As for the deep breathe and defending... I felt that was more of a "calling out" post.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:53 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times
Ah.... the one who always had to get the last word.... I strongly believe, there is no shortage of such people on the LI forum (I believe its one of the main reasons for certain threads to be 100+ posts, 75 posts of which are either garbage or same thing repeated over and over), and in our minds, we all know who they are too !!

I'm sure every forum have such elements.

Old 03-05-2010, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Yeah, it's all "flyover" to a guy in the 30yr old 3bed ranch in Coram (not saying that's you since I have no clue what town you live in - just a generalization on LI not being "equal")...

One thing about LI... everyone can be happy with what they have, as long as they can point at another person and know they have more (or at least APPEAR to have more). Good thing you got your West Hempstead, Wyandanch, Mastic, and Shirleys... right? Because the folks living in all those towns (and the countless other lower income neighborhoods) aren't your peers as a LIer? Nah... it's much more logical to associate yourself with the folks living on the Gold Coast - who actually could pull off calling the rest of the country "flyover". Unless I'm missing all the BMW owners in Centereach, Farmingville, Patchogue, and Brentwood (et al)?
Great post! While not as pronounced as on Long Island, I have seen this kind of mentality in other parts of the country. When I first moved to LI from St. Louis friends told me - "Don't tell people you are moving to Long Island, just say you are moving to New York!" - Jokes on them right, they are in flyover country!

And even here in The Triangle, the snootier areas like Chapel Hill, Carrboro, North Raleigh have an air of superiority about them - but it's not like people are openly calling out other areas on a forum.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:02 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
I commented that he would probably live in an abandoned building in the worst ghetto neighborhood as long as he could get a 212 area code on his home phone (that was when 212 was the only area code in Manhattan) and he said, "D___ right!

Sounds like a Seinfeld episode:

Quote:
Elaine and a man are talking.
MAN: You're probably one of those women who doesn't like to give out her number.
ELAINE: No, I'm not. Here you go.
MAN: 646?
ELAINE: It's a new area code.
MAN: What area? New Jersey?
[LAINE: No, no. It's right here in the city. It's the same as 212. They just multiplied it by 3, and then they added one to the middle number. It's the same.
MAN: Do I have to dial a one first?
Elaine nods and the man crumples up her number.
MAN: I'm really kinda seein' somebody.
ELAINE: Yeah? Well, so am I!

Last edited by OhBeeHave; 03-05-2010 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: Got rid of pesky code

Old 03-05-2010, 10:12 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
In the workplace ... yeah people do compare themselves to what others are getting. Sometimes I agree with the complaining though because sometimes it is a little too much when you see someone who is sleeping with a superior get over on things, etc. It is a way to blow off steam.

Peppers on the sandwich? OMG! That reminds me of a couple of coworkers I used to have that would go to the same Subway shop and one of them would literally go to war with the sandwich maker because he would not give enough "extra pickles" ... it was insane! Also please note that there are plenty of other Subway shops to find in Manhattan if you don't like how you are being served! I think she and the Subway worker just enjoyed battling each other a couple of times a week.

Did you have a big can of Aqua Net too?

If I still had the same look now as way back when people would think I was a stripper!
Oh, yes, there was plenty of nepotism. Not so much sleeping with, but the CEO put his brother, sister, and kids in various positions, and lemme tellya, most were not qualified for the jobs they were in. I'll stop there, except to say that I do enjoy the Island more now that I work at home and work with people all over the country instead.

Funny you should mention Subway, for that is where the Pepper Incident took place. I felt bad for the sandwich-maker. If I still had my big, pink can of Aqua Net--the red and blue cans weren't strong enough--I'd have sprayed the complainer. Out in the parking lot, though. Wouldn't want to give the food too much body.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:22 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
And even here in The Triangle, the snootier areas like Chapel Hill, Carrboro, North Raleigh have an air of superiority about them - but it's not like people are openly calling out other areas on a forum.
I had just written out a big ol' comparison between Virginia snobbery and L.I. aggressive nastiness but didn't want to get into all of that. You nailed it, though.

There is a silver lining to this: At least on L.I. the jackarses make themselves known early on, and you can discard them accordingly and move on. What you see is often what you get, as it were. Down South, things are a little more beneath the surface. They may not be as outrightly rude, but you've gotta watch for snakes in the grass. The suspicion bred into me growing up on L.I. did serve me well in that respect, because I was always looking to see if the actions backed up the diplomatic and often quite charming words.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:27 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
yeah, it's rather funny how preferential treatment runs here... Sean gets his own bday thread (does everyone who posts here?) AND he gets to blantantly call out a mod IN LENGTH which is clearly a violation of the ToS.

In all fairness, I started the birthday thread in an effort to remind us all that despite are bickering, we are all a little community of sorts. We needed something positive as this thread was going badly yesterday.

I was looking for anything preferential. I was looking for a little balance.

If I knew your birthday, I would have done the same for you. I wouldn't have known it was SeanX4 if I hadn't read it in a different thread.

IRL I am the kind of person who sends cards for birthdays, seeing as I can't do this here, the thread was the next best thing. I am sorry if it upset or offended anyone.

One thing I have noticed on this thread is that no one has listed 'their neighbors' as a reason for leaving LI. Sure, some of us have had some cruddy ones, but I would think that many of us who do leave, do miss their friends and neighbors left behind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island