Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 03:35 PM

113 posts, read 437,987 times

Advertisements

I saw the thread about Suffolk County so I thought - Hey there must be one for Nassau! and I found this

http://www.nassaucountyny.gov/agenci...ceProgram.html

The problem I see is the deadline was for Dec 26, 2008. Does this program exist every year? I hope so since my wife and I are looking to buy a Levit house and can use the $15,000!

Also, how long does it take to get approved? We are hoping to find and close in the next 2-3 months....

thanks all - I love this site and am a Li'er born and bred!

Mark

Last edited by Mjeacoma; 02-03-2009 at 03:36 PM.. Reason: Fixed link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 03:44 PM

327 posts, read 1,063,313 times
Those income requirements are tough.. there are some good grants from cdcli if you are looking for a first time home.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:16 PM

113 posts, read 437,987 times
Actually we meet those qualifications at the moment so that should be good to go (I hope).

I looked around Community Development Corporation of Long Island but only saw workshops for stuff we already have gone through - like real estate 101. I will keep digging though....

I appreciate the link

Would love to hear anyones experience using Down Payments Assistance program

Old 02-03-2009, 10:01 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjeacoma View Post

The problem I see is the deadline was for Dec 26, 2008. Does this program exist every year? I hope so since my wife and I are looking to buy a Levit house and can use the $15,000!

Also, how long does it take to get approved? We are hoping to find and close in the next 2-3 months....

Mark
Call the County and find out if they plan to continue the program. Nassau is cutting services and is asking its employees to take a pay-cut, so this may not be around anymore.
Have you talked to a mortgage banker yet? Before you go out looking at houses, it would be a good idea to find out what your mortgage/price limit is. Besides, many sellers now require a pre-approval when you submit an offer.

Oh, and don't forget the $7,500 tax credit! It expires on July 1st of this year, so now is the time to go house hunting if you want to take advantage of that.
BTW, a tax credit is a dollar for dollar reduction of taxes you owe the IRS; i.e. if your tax liability for the year was $8,100, after the tax credit, your tax liability is reduced to $600. If your tax liability is less than $7,500 you still get the difference in the form of a check (included in your tax return).
But you must close by July 1st. (The tax credit must be paid back in $500 increments over a 15 year period)

Good luck to you!

Old 02-05-2009, 06:45 PM

62 posts, read 255,186 times
Hey, I'm using a similar program to purchase a house in Mineola. The program I used is called "HELP Long Island" and it is administered by the Long Island Housing Partnership.
Homeownership and Economic Stabilization for Long Island Program (HELP Long Island) - LIHP (http://lihp.org/help.aspx - broken link)

If you work on Long Island, you should see if your employee is interested in participating in this program. There is no sign up or recurring cost to them. The only cost is whatever down payment assistance they would offer. The company I work for did not have an employer assistance program, but they had one after they saw this.

Please feel free to PM if you have questions about my experience with this program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjeacoma View Post
I saw the thread about Suffolk County so I thought - Hey there must be one for Nassau! and I found this

Nassau County Home Down Payment Assistance Program

thanks all - I love this site and am a Li'er born and bred!

Mark

Old 02-05-2009, 06:46 PM

Hi Elke,

Do you know if the new $15,000 credit (which Obama is supposed to sign) will have the same payback requirement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Call the County and find out if they plan to continue the program. Nassau is cutting services and is asking its employees to take a pay-cut, so this may not be around anymore.
Have you talked to a mortgage banker yet? Before you go out looking at houses, it would be a good idea to find out what your mortgage/price limit is. Besides, many sellers now require a pre-approval when you submit an offer.

Oh, and don't forget the $7,500 tax credit! It expires on July 1st of this year, so now is the time to go house hunting if you want to take advantage of that.
BTW, a tax credit is a dollar for dollar reduction of taxes you owe the IRS; i.e. if your tax liability for the year was $8,100, after the tax credit, your tax liability is reduced to $600. If your tax liability is less than $7,500 you still get the difference in the form of a check (included in your tax return).
But you must close by July 1st. (The tax credit must be paid back in $500 increments over a 15 year period)

Good luck to you!

Old 02-05-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by house.searcher View Post
Hi Elke,

Do you know if the new $15,000 credit (which Obama is supposed to sign) will have the same payback requirement?
Until a final version gets passed (and signed), there is no way of knowing what the requirements will be, including income limitations, nor when it will actually go into effect. Often these bills get changed so much, that there's no way of predicting anything. It's one of those "bird in the hand is better than two in the bush" quandaries - $7,500 now or MAYBE $15,000 whenever.
House prices in most of the country are much lower, so the income limitations might leave out many home buyers on L.I.

But as I said, we won't know until it's passed; wish I had a better answer for you...

Old 02-05-2009, 10:07 PM

Hakuna matata Elke. I was just throwing a thought out there, but you're right, better to have bird in hand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Until a final version gets passed (and signed), there is no way of knowing what the requirements will be, including income limitations, nor when it will actually go into effect. Often these bills get changed so much, that there's no way of predicting anything. It's one of those "bird in the hand is better than two in the bush" quandaries - $7,500 now or MAYBE $15,000 whenever.
House prices in most of the country are much lower, so the income limitations might leave out many home buyers on L.I.

But as I said, we won't know until it's passed; wish I had a better answer for you...

Old 02-25-2009, 02:40 PM

556 posts, read 1,445,517 times
Now we know its 8000 no payback req.

What options does that open for a couple whos combined income is around 70k?
Where not looking for anything that we cant afford. Im thinking a 250k home im seeing more and more a day.

Old 02-25-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestburynLI to BronxnNYC View Post
Now we know its 8000 no payback req.

What options does that open for a couple whos combined income is around 70k?
Where not looking for anything that we cant afford. Im thinking a 250k home im seeing more and more a day.
Depends on a lot of things, including how much of a downpayment you have and if you have $$ for closing costs...

If you're not too selective in terms of location, size of home and are handy, there could be homes for you income range. Have to watch those RE taxes though!

BTW, did you ever sit down and make a budget?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: