Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2009, 03:57 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,140,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
With all that being said, you did, however, end up always being a homeowner and never a renter (as you have pointed out in other threads).
For your little bit of money, you at least did have enough purchasing power to afford the American Dream. That is something the older generations want to ignore about what the younger generations are facing ... a lack of real purchasing power and a lower standard of living.
Like when dman asked someone, "Did it take 2 people working full-time in 1971 to afford a house?" Nobody answered.
Actually, we rented an apartment in Queens for almost five years before we bought the first house and squirreled away every spare penny. No going out to dinner, plays, etc. The only time I got to see a play in NYC, was when a vendor gave me a couple of freebies as a "thank you" for giving them business. And the first two years, we didn't even have a TV (did have a HiFi though after a year )

And it was a matter of "if we buy this house, we'll be eating soup for the next two years"--and we did, for well over a year. But we wanted a house, and were willing to sacrifice other things for it. We only had one car for the first six years in that house - not easy! How many people do you know who'd do that nowadays. I venture to say not too many

With regard to 2-family income, until my first daughter was born, we both worked, and even with the children, I always worked part-time. When my youngest was two, I had to go back to work full-time (not going into detail here as to why). Still working....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 04:00 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,140,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Also, at that time the custom was for companies to provide pensions, not shunt the costs off to the employees in the form of 491(k)s. Somehow it seems you and others got caught in the middle (no pension yet no 401(k) plan).

You're right, I always worked for small companies who were too new or small to offer a pension, and nobody told us how important that might be later on . Now, there's tons of information out there.

Old 02-08-2009, 04:02 PM

20,019 posts, read 20,822,731 times
What I find to be truly amazing is my ability to retain a sense of humor, albeit quite sarcastic, under the current economic conditions here on the Island.
I may disappear from the forum for a little bit, Cablevision will be cutting the cord any day now. LIPA too. Oh, I got the little tag on my door knob from the water company the other day as well. And to top it all off, mortgage is due before the 15th.
Other than that, life is good. I've still got my health?

Old 02-08-2009, 06:27 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,140,822 times
Sorry to hear that. Hope things somehow turn around for you.

Old 02-09-2009, 06:02 PM

17 posts, read 31,725 times
Prices have only begun to fall IMHO. I wouldn't be surprised to see another 30% drop or more!

Wait until interest rates begin to rise and that's when we'll see things really take off. The government is doing everything they can to re-inflate and prop up the bubble, but they will fail.

I'd rather have a high interest rate on a low principal, and then re-fi down the road. Don't be fooled with this $15,000 tax credit nonsense either, as it sounds much better than it really is.

Save your money and rent, especially in such uncertain times.

The more of us who continue to wait it out on the sidelines, the sooner things can come back down to earth. If housing prices don't come back in like with average incomes, then "owning" a home is simply a bad deal. I'd rather live care free and within my means, than be held hostage by a mortgage that the bank really owns.

Old 02-09-2009, 09:42 PM

172 posts, read 718,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYBB View Post
I'd rather live care free and within my means, than be held hostage by a mortgage that the bank really owns.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:10 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,137,278 times
Think about this: the banks were just bailed out so obviously they're going to be stricter about lending which means less people qualifying,which means houses on the market longer,which obviously means prices will continue to go down and a buyers market.****

Old 02-10-2009, 06:34 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,599,094 times
It will also mean that sellers who might otherwise have put their house on the market this year will probably wait until things stabilize and credit becomes more available to buyers.

If I had to sell right now, I would not even consider an offer from someone who didn't already have a conditional mortgage approval IN HAND. Why tie my house up for weeks, off the market while under contract, waiting to hear with Mr and Mrs Smith can indeed GET that mortgage under today's stricter guidelines?

My nephew already had a condtional approval when he made his offer on the house he is buying, but it still took a week and a half for the lawyers to get the contract details haggled out, another 5 days for the sellers to sign the contract after my nephew did, and then another week for the bank's appraiser to get out to see the property. Two more days till the appraiser's okay was received. That's more than 3 weeks since the day of accepted offer .... and that's with the entire credit-approval process already done.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:51 AM

745 posts, read 1,504,298 times
I'm loving it. So many houses are now in our target areas well within our price range. We are totally booked looking at houses for the next month.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:00 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,151,464 times
I hear that. The prices keep on coming down! Im giving it till next winter though. Then I will decide if I want to buy another place here or live mortgage free elsewhere. Time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephM View Post
I'm loving it. So many houses are now in our target areas well within our price range. We are totally booked looking at houses for the next month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island