Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 03:12 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
This is really overblown and basically untrue. I have seen it both ways, sometimes the names are mentioned, sometimes they aren't, sometimes the races are mentioned sometimes they aren't, however its the same regardless of what race it is or regardless of how the name sounds.
I don't read it much anymore, either in print or online.

Sorry, but there has been a bias towards not identifying race or name if it is a minority they want to coddle. However, since people have noticed this bias and complained a lot to Newsday maybe they are changing things. There was a time when they stopped identifying Asian massage parlor worker/prostitutes by name though. People were always ranting online on [domain blocked due to spam] when Newsday did not identify the race of the suspect or were only printing non-Asian sounding names when it came to prostitution arrests.

Speaking of [domain blocked due to spam], I also want to add something I forgot! Online Newsday often has links for stories to [domain blocked due to spam] so people can discuss the stories. When it comes to stories mentioning negative behavior of minorities that they identify (posting the arrest picture, etc.) that link is usually absent, while if the criminal is white, it is usually there. For example:

Black Criminals Who Abused Their Child -- No Link to [domain blocked due to spam]
Police: Valley Stream couple charged in child abuse -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/nassau/ny-libaby0201,0,4895665.story - broken link)

Follow-up Story on Above -- No Link to [domain blocked due to spam]
No bail for Valley Stream dad accused in baby's beating -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/nassau/ny-libaby026021617feb02,0,3873556.story - broken link)

Nassau Cops Crack Down on Illegal Gambling (Hispanic Criminals) -- No Link to [domain blocked due to spam]
Nassau cops crack down on illegal gambling -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/nassau/ny-lipoke0131,0,7840203.story - broken link)

White Criminal Who Killed His Wife -- Link to [domain blocked due to spam]
Cops: Suspect in wife's slaying may have stabbed her -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/nassau/ny-liwals036022342feb03,0,578375.story - broken link)

White Criminal Michael Phelps Doing Drugs -- Link to [domain blocked due to spam]
Michael Phelps bong photo gives chance to talk about drugs, LI coaches say -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/nassau/ny-liswim0202,0,6787042.story - broken link)

White Ponzi Scheme Criminal -- Link to [domain blocked due to spam]
Cosmo to be held behind bars until bail offer increases -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/suffolk/ny-bzcosmo306016743jan30,0,2738837.story - broken link)

White Child Molester -- Link to [domain blocked due to spam]
Cops mum on how sex offender met children -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/suffolk/ny-lisusp316018468jan31,0,6396200.story - broken link)

I am not saying it happens like this every single time, but more often than not this is how it ends up. Newsday coddles certain criminals. They should have a link to [domain blocked due to spam] for every story or just stop offering [domain blocked due to spam] at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 03:16 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,758,868 times
Quote:
This is really overblown and basically untrue. I have seen it both ways, sometimes the names are mentioned, sometimes they aren't, sometimes the races are mentioned sometimes they aren't, however its the same regardless of what race it is or regardless of how the name sounds.
It seems like 99 percent of the time, they disclose very detail but NOT not the race (white, black, whatever). This was discussed quite often on newsday.com when they allowed comments after each article.

I don't think it was because they were coddling anyone...I think it probably came from an oddball copy editor following some ridiculous journalism stylebook.

What's weird is that they had no problem posting names and pictures of DWI suspects.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
I don't think it was because they were coddling anyone...I think it probably came from an oddball copy editor following some ridiculous journalism stylebook.
What kind of journalism rule is that? "Do Not Give All Pertinent Information?"

Quote:
What's weird is that they had no problem posting names and pictures of DWI suspects.
Didn't they stop this briefly after protests but then started up with the pics again? Here they definitely show all races, colors and creeds. DWI is a special crime interest of Nassau DA Rice so it must please her very much.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:29 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,758,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
What kind of journalism rule is that? "Do Not Give All Pertinent Information?"
define "pertinent"...lol.

Quote:
Didn't they stop this briefly after protests but then started up with the pics again? Here they definitely show all races, colors and creeds. DWI is a special crime interest of Nassau DA Rice so it must please her very much.
the county was sued and told to stop doing so Newsday had to do the same. It wasn't their decision to stop, although they did choose to post them in the first place (after Rice asked them to).

Old 02-04-2009, 03:34 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I don't read it much anymore, either in print or online.

Sorry, but there has been a bias towards not identifying race or name if it is a minority they want to coddle. However, since people have noticed this bias and complained a lot to Newsday maybe they are changing things. There was a time when they stopped identifying Asian massage parlor worker/prostitutes by name though. People were always ranting online on [domain blocked due to spam] when Newsday did not identify the race of the suspect or were only printing non-Asian sounding names when it came to prostitution arrests.

Speaking of [domain blocked due to spam], I also want to add something I forgot! Online Newsday often has links for stories to [domain blocked due to spam] so people can discuss the stories. When it comes to stories mentioning negative behavior of minorities that they identify (posting the arrest picture, etc.) that link is usually absent, while if the criminal is white, it is usually there. For example:

Black Criminals Who Abused Their Child -- No Link to [domain blocked due to spam]
Police: Valley Stream couple charged in child abuse -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/nassau/ny-libaby0201,0,4895665.story - broken link)

Follow-up Story on Above -- No Link to [domain blocked due to spam]
No bail for Valley Stream dad accused in baby's beating -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/nassau/ny-libaby026021617feb02,0,3873556.story - broken link)

Nassau Cops Crack Down on Illegal Gambling (Hispanic Criminals) -- No Link to [domain blocked due to spam]
Nassau cops crack down on illegal gambling -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/nassau/ny-lipoke0131,0,7840203.story - broken link)

White Criminal Who Killed His Wife -- Link to [domain blocked due to spam]
Cops: Suspect in wife's slaying may have stabbed her -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/nassau/ny-liwals036022342feb03,0,578375.story - broken link)

White Criminal Michael Phelps Doing Drugs -- Link to [domain blocked due to spam]
Michael Phelps bong photo gives chance to talk about drugs, LI coaches say -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/nassau/ny-liswim0202,0,6787042.story - broken link)

White Ponzi Scheme Criminal -- Link to [domain blocked due to spam]
Cosmo to be held behind bars until bail offer increases -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/suffolk/ny-bzcosmo306016743jan30,0,2738837.story - broken link)

White Child Molester -- Link to [domain blocked due to spam]
Cops mum on how sex offender met children -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/suffolk/ny-lisusp316018468jan31,0,6396200.story - broken link)

I am not saying it happens like this every single time, but more often than not this is how it ends up. Newsday coddles certain criminals. They should have a link to [domain blocked due to spam] for every story or just stop offering [domain blocked due to spam] at all.

Few things, you did have some of the people complaining on [domain blocked due to spam], however some people were simply looking for something to complain about Newsday about. Newsday prints the race sometimes (regardless of the race) and prints the name sometimes (regardless of what race or ethnicity the race sounds like).

As far as why some topics have links and others don't. Have you seen some of the stuff that has gone on in some of these [domain blocked due to spam] threads, especially the ones when the criminal is black or hispanic?? Many of these likely did have the [domain blocked due to spam] threads opened, but had them shutdown because of the utter filth that was in them where every other thread was filled with the n or s word. I wouldn't base this off the rantting of people on [domain blocked due to spam] who were complaining about the race not being mentioned because I would say quite a few of those who did that are also those who throw the n word, the s word and utter racist garbage at every opportunity.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:48 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,976,853 times
Quote:
Few things, you did have some of the people complaining on [domain blocked due to spam], however some people were simply looking for something to complain about Newsday about.
It doesn't take much to find "something to complain about", ABOUT ANYTHING !

But NEWSDAY is one of those pompous, newspapers of "Today", that genuinely doesn't care what people have to say. It's a business...in fact, a dying business !

It's just a sop...a gimmick, to have you think NEWSDAY is Hip Here and Now, and has invested a portion of its capital money, in The New Media, and to generate "clicks" for advertisers.

ANYONE who thinks it's, somehow, read by The Great Minds of Long Island, or the World, as a bell weather of Public Opinion, is just wasting your time.

NONE of these type of things, especially those in periodical associated web pages, is meant to do anything else. They are propping up a dying media, with a lot of nothing.

You might as well be writing on the Wind !

Old 02-04-2009, 04:23 PM

563 posts, read 2,569,881 times
I really only read it online. In fact, I refuse to pay for it when I can read it online. But I do not really care much what they have to say. For what I read, I dont care if it has a a liberal slant or not. I look to get an "idea" of what the local news is, what happened, etc. I also check in on the sports info (again a general idea). Thats all I really care about. Half the time, they are a step behind in "news" that I find I read about two days earlier on Yahoo's homepage. All the other stuff thats important and that I am interested in, I get from more consistent sources.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:36 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,600,634 times
Quote:
I was curious what the opinions were on Newsday around here. Fair? Biased? Liberal? Conservative? Would you want another daily paper on LI? Do we need another daily?
I have despised Newsday for 30+ years. Seriously. I haven't picked up a print copy in over 15 years (the ex used to subscribe which is why at one time it came into the house) and have no desire to. I do have a bookmark to their sport section for the one team that SO and I follow but even then the reporting is pathetic. The nicest thing I can say about Newsday is that IMHO it is a biased low-class rag (just barely this side of tabloid journalism) that routinely does a hatchet job on the facts of almost every story, article or series.

I would love to see a truly objective daily alternative but it will never happen. It would take more capital than anyone is likely to have available, and Newsday is far too tightly snuggled in bed with the Dolan/Cablevision junta to allow any competition to even surface, much less struggle to its feet for a fight.

We get our news from CNN.com, CNN tv channels, and while in the car, newsradio 880 AM.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:49 PM

Quote:
As far as why some topics have links and others don't. Have you seen some of the stuff that has gone on in some of these [domain blocked due to spam] threads, especially the ones when the criminal is black or hispanic?? Many of these likely did have the [domain blocked due to spam] threads opened, but had them shutdown because of the utter filth that was in them where every other thread was filled with the n or s word. I wouldn't base this off the rantting of people on [domain blocked due to spam] who were complaining about the race not being mentioned because I would say quite a few of those who did that are also those who throw the n word, the s word and utter racist garbage at every opportunity.
Yes there are idiots on there that definitely go too far and as it is an unmoderated forum as far as I can tell so it can get very rank. They ruin it for everyone else who wants to talk about the news.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
The nicest thing I can say about Newsday is that IMHO it is a biased low-class rag (just barely this side of tabloid journalism) that routinely does a hatchet job on the facts of almost every story, article or series.
Same here! I haven't subscribed to the paper copy of Newsday in over 10 years! A couple of years back when Newsday would have salespeople stationed everywhere trying to get people to subscribe: in supermarkets, at the Craft Fair in Long Beach, etc., one of their hawkers tried to corner me to sell me a subscription and I just looked at him and said, "I HATE Newsday!" He replied, "That's not a nice thing to say!" but he left me alone.

When I read it online I am absolutely appalled by the mistakes in the stories and the headlines! Don't they even have proofreaders? I wonder if the print copy is like that too ... riddled with errors a grade school kid here on LI would not make! It is really sad.

PS: Actually one of the fun things to do online when there is a [domain blocked due to spam] link available is how people would catch the mistakes and post them there making fun of Newsday!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island