Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 12:50 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Sometimes its there from the start and gets removed, other times its not there at all, and again it has nothing with wanting to limit discussion on certain type of criminals or anything like that, but the actions of certain posters who feel the need to turn every thread about a minority criminal into a minority bash fest.
By not having it, they are "limiting discussion on certain type of criminals." The politically incorrect have their rights too. "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 01:13 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
By not having it, they are "limiting discussion on certain type of criminals." The politically incorrect have their rights too. "I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it."
The problem is when the threads get completely taken over by racist rants which is exactly what was going on.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:16 PM

106 posts, read 337,483 times
Quote:
Please explain,which minority are you referring to the Caucasian?

Old 02-05-2009, 06:41 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Same here! I haven't subscribed to the paper copy of Newsday in over 10 years! A couple of years back when Newsday would have salespeople stationed everywhere trying to get people to subscribe: in supermarkets, at the Craft Fair in Long Beach, etc., one of their hawkers tried to corner me to sell me a subscription and I just looked at him and said, "I HATE Newsday!" He replied, "That's not a nice thing to say!" but he left me alone.

When I read it online I am absolutely appalled by the mistakes in the stories and the headlines! Don't they even have proofreaders? I wonder if the print copy is like that too ... riddled with errors a grade school kid here on LI would not make! It is really sad.

PS: Actually one of the fun things to do online when there is a [domain blocked due to spam] link available is how people would catch the mistakes and post them there making fun of Newsday!

Several years ago, Newsday put in a 'spread' in the centerfold which was usually a special interest story, or something of that general nature.

On one occasion, there was a map of Long Island with several key place names (I'm not writing 'town' and invoking your wrath, Walter! LOL) and one of the place names was (sic) Mellville.

What sort of Newspaper people can not spell the name of the place in which their employer is situated????

Old 02-05-2009, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
there was an article up last year that told the story of a guy from Long Island that was found dead in upstate NY a few years ago...but the body was only identified recently through a photograph or something like that.

Anyway, the article was so poorly written that people in my office were passing it around commenting on how awful it was. You had to read it 3-4 times to figure out what the hell had happened. Naturally, the comments section was flooded with people bashing the article. After about 10 hours or so, a new version of the article magically appeared.
The body belonged to my friend's brother who had committed suicide in a lake upstate.

Yes, he was ID'd through a photograph which was the only ID he had on himself, and which miraculously wasn't destroyed in the water. The clue which revealed his identity was an old steetlamp and a building in the photo. The photo was taken in Bellport years ago; the streetlamp has been replaced, but the church in the background was relatively unchanged.

It was a sin that the story was so poorly written.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:31 PM

3,180 posts, read 10,543,677 times
Has anyone noticed how thin Newsday is lately? There is nothing in it.

RIP Newsday....I won't miss you.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:16 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post

I've noticed that as well... Companies are spending a lot less on advertising and Newsday has increased advertising rates... catch 22.

RIP is right on!!

Old 02-11-2009, 02:03 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,977,185 times
IT IS getting "less expensive" to "read it" online, that's for sure...and you don't have the added insult of having spent actual MONEY on it !

Old 02-11-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post

I prefer paying .75 for the weekly local paper.

Newsday is adequate as a cage liner.

It's a sin that such a large area doesn't have a decent daily paper which addresses LI concerns with an unbiased perspective.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:15 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,977,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I prefer paying .75 for the weekly local paper.

Newsday is adequate as a cage liner.

It's a sin that such a large area doesn't have a decent daily paper which addresses LI concerns with an unbiased perspective.
It's just so DULL and lackluster. A great example of getting DOLAN-ED ! They do have that magic touch, don't they !

One thing, for sure, they will drive you ONLINE, BUT NOT TO OPTIMUM !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island